OT: Eva Cassidy - a music thread | The Boneyard

OT: Eva Cassidy - a music thread

Reaction Score
A minute ago I was listening to an album by the late great singer Eva Cassidy.
I remembered they did a special on her on ABC's NIGHTLINE in 2001.
So I put the URL down below!
If you've never heard her before, or have and loved her talent as much as I do please check it out!

Reaction Score
Eva Cassidy left this world way too early. One of her most famous musical interpretations with some beautiful chord progressions is "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that can be found on YouTube. It's a classic that every time I hear it reminds me of how great a voice she had.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
If you've never heard her before, or have and loved her talent as much as I do please check it out!

glad you posted this. i never before saw the abc piece.

but i know about eva cassidy. it's a great story. she's an even greater singer. sadly, she never got to be the legend she would have been.

the abc item highlights it all, but that was over 20 years ago ... and overdue then.

i highly recommend a listen to her existing recordings. they are amazing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She covered a song by a songwriter named Doug MacLeod called Nightbird. Here's what he had to say about it.

I have a couple of favorites (covers of his songs). One was Eva Cassidy’s version of Nightbird. That song is about a prostitute, a prostitute that I used to live with who really watched out for me. I have no idea if Eva Cassidy knew what that song was about and I never hear it until my wife played it for me during a drive to Los Angeles from San Luis Opisbo.

I’m a huge baseball fan, and my team, the Cardinals from St. Louis, were playing the Dodgers and I wanted to listen to the game. My wife said “I got something for you to hear?”, and I said, “But the Cardinals are on” and she said “This is more important than the Cardinals” and she put this CD on of Eva Cassidy. I tell you, it moved me so much, I pulled over to the side of the road and I was weeping. I have never done that song again. When people ask me to do Nightbird, I tell them that if they want to hear THE version, she is the one to listen to. And then of course she died before I got a chance to meet her and ask her how she interpreted it like that.

Reaction Score
One of the purest, most beautiful voices ever coming out of a human mouth. She wouldn't sell out to the music industry, and played her music her way! The live "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in the small cafe, had to be one of the greatest moments in the audience's life!

Reaction Score
Thank you all :) I learned of Eva a couple years ago through Pandora in my Katie Melua station. love her voice and was so saddened when I learned she had died so young.

My favorite Eva song is Fields of Gold - IMO much more emotional depth than Sting's version (which I had always loved...)

Reaction Score
She covered a song by a songwriter named Doug MacLeod called Nightbird. Here's what he had to say about it.

I have a couple of favorites (covers of his songs). One was Eva Cassidy’s version of Nightbird. That song is about a prostitute, a prostitute that I used to live with who really watched out for me. I have no idea if Eva Cassidy knew what that song was about and I never hear it until my wife played it for me during a drive to Los Angeles from San Luis Opisbo.

I’m a huge baseball fan, and my team, the Cardinals from St. Louis, were playing the Dodgers and I wanted to listen to the game. My wife said “I got something for you to hear?”, and I said, “But the Cardinals are on” and she said “This is more important than the Cardinals” and she put this CD on of Eva Cassidy. I tell you, it moved me so much, I pulled over to the side of the road and I was weeping. I have never done that song again. When people ask me to do Nightbird, I tell them that if they want to hear THE version, she is the one to listen to. And then of course she died before I got a chance to meet her and ask her how she interpreted it like that.

I love Eva Cassidy and this is the kind of reaction I have to her music. When I put on her CDs (I still listen to CDs) I have to be ready because her voice goes straight for the soul.

Reaction Score
So surprised and happy to see this thread here! Her voice was the absolute best. I found her a few years ago when she came up in Pandora. Few can touch the soul like her. Tragic loss.

Reaction Score
Thank you for this thread. We have the double cd of a live performance. I think produced by T Bone Burnett.
Her voice is perfect, soulful, emotional, come right from the heart.

Reaction Score

Thanks so much for highlighting Eva Cassidy. She was one of the great voices lost to the world. If you listen to her, you will be hooked. I LOVE, Eva. Check out her music on YouTube.

Reaction Score
I just bought Eva Cassidy's latest CD with the London Sympathy!
They took her original recordings and merge them with the London Sympathy!
Great recording for Eva fans!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom