OT: ESPN's not covering this one | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: ESPN's not covering this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sadly, Caleb Moore rides with God now. He died today. I saw it on Yahoo, then went to ESPN's front page and they had two links to the story.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I fully agree that the X Games are horsecrap. But don't some of the posters here follow boxing - 17 year old died this week didn't he?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A boxer died in Indonesia - a tragedy, but completely off tangent.

But again, since the point seems so hard to actually comprehend, I don't care about the X-Games as sports - people can like them, or not like them or just ignore them.

It's about ESPN and how they soft-pedaled their coverage the inevitable tragedy as opposed to their zeal in promotion.

They're lucky only to have one fatality to have to report - another guy sent his snowmobile flying into the crowd injuring a kid.

Reaction Score
Satisfied, Fishy? Front page videos, articles, and the number one headline on the side feed. Does this make you feel better about his death now?

espnb.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Satisfied, Fishy? Front page videos, articles, and the number one headline on the side feed. Does this make you feel better about his death now?

What an idiotic thing to say.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

That is exactly my point.

This entire X-Game concept is completely driven by ESPN. The level of coverage on ESPN and Sportscenter outweighs actually interest in the events simply because the news coverage is purely promotional by nature - Sportscenter viewers are not tuning in at 11 pm to find out who won the men's snowmobile flipping finals. (Not the first example of this - ESPN never included Euro soccer in the crawl or on the ESPN.com scoretab until ESPN had a contract to show those games.)

Now that one of their contrived sports has managed to put a kid on death's doorstep, ESPN essentially goes radio-silent. There is an excellent article on the front page of the Washington Post that covers some of the same concerns I have with the very nature of some of these 'sporting' events - flipping a snowmobile is not a sport, it's a stunt and stunts go wrong.

By my point, again, is that ESPN looks like they're trying to hide a body here.

The X-Games are the perfect microcosm of the fundamental issues wrong with ESPN. THey are producing an event, and promoting that event, with their own news reporting mechanisms, which means they get to pick and choose what they report on, for the same events that they produce and promote for profit. It's double dipping the marketing. While there's nothing illegal about it, the ethical issues are glaringly obvious. Sportscenter, is the epicenter of ESPN broadcasting, and having profit interests in producing actual live events of some kind, and then having control over the platform to report on those things. Sketchy.

I haven't finished the thread yet, but I assume that somebody's posted already that the young man had died.

Reaction Score
Oh good christ, Fishy wasn't making a commentary on the unfortunate death of Caleb Moore. Just how ESPN blurs the lines and make choices to suit their bottom line.

ESPN is NOT unique in this regard, it's more likely to be noticed when it's ESPN because they happen to be the 880 lbs. gorilla in the space. That line between the journalistic side of the business and the revenue generation/ad sales side of the business gets crossed all the time, it's not a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom