OT: espn website | The Boneyard

OT: espn website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The rule of thumb for website changes is that everyone irrationally hates every change to websites ever.

True, but I really do dislike this. I've never had a problem with any of Facebook's redesigns of the page or the newsfeed. But this ESPN page seems very "newspaperish" which looks nice but seems confusing to me.

Reaction Score
Is this an April Fools joke? They redid the whole thing, and it is horrible. I can't stand when someone tries to fix something that's not broken! I don't even know what I'm looking at...

100% agree, was very dissatisfied this morning. I don't like change. Even considered going to CBS because I want to read headlines quick, not hunt and click more links. Insanity later.....

Reaction Score
It is god awful. They replicated how they were doing the ESPN FC portion of the site. Just huge empty nothing! WTF! Just feels more like a ticker of news that people post on a board. It isn't organized very well and I hate the white background. Ugh!

Reaction Score
I dont like it either, feels like it was influenced by the grantland page design

Reaction Score
I can also confirm this as being BAD. I don't go to their site to much that I remember it much or even care. But I found myself looking around for where to go, it is less intuitive and to me that is bad. Simple is good

Reaction Score
The problem with the redesign is that it requires me to do a lot more scrolling. Maybe they are appealing to people with very poor eyesight?

Much of the info I could see on the initial screen is below the initial frame now.

Also, the scores: I have to mouseover now for a dropdown menu instead of just hitting the link.

In general, I agree you have to get used to things, but right now it looks like I have to do extra clicking to access the same amount of info.

NOT GOOD.

Reaction Score
I can also confirm this as being BAD. I don't go to their site to much that I remember it much or even care. But I found myself looking around for where to go, it is less intuitive and to me that is bad. Simple is good

I feel like sometimes they do that to get you to invest in their links more and draw you in. There's always a motive. Can anyone recommend a better site for quick news and scores?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
upstater said:
The problem with the redesign is that it requires me to do a lot more scrolling. Maybe they are appealing to people with very poor eyesight?

Much of the info I could see on the initial screen is below the initial frame now.

Also, the scores: I have to mouseover now for a dropdown menu instead of just hitting the link.

In general, I agree you have to get used to things, but right now it looks like I have to do extra clicking to access the same amount of info.

NOT GOOD.

Designed for tablets.

Reaction Score
Don't worry. They know you all hate it. And they know you'll eventually come around. This is a common business model that any company knows about and uses in their decisionmaking and planning process.

Change-Curve.gif

Reaction Score
ESPN is like my 5th online resource for info. But it's no suprise that people don't like it. The last time it happened there were similar comments and everyone got used to it.

Reaction Score

As someone else mentioned, it's optimized for mobile/tablet use.

BUT, it's also designed to subtly maximize your time on the website as opposed to maximizing page-views, which is the new advertiser gold metric.

I dunno, I kind of like it. The ordered favorites list on the left is nice, but I do miss the quick headlines, though.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

They're on the top of the page. If you want to see more scores, click on the sport name next to those sports on top. You'll get a magical surprise.

Reaction Score
It's far better than SI's recent tile-heavy remodel. I think it's fine TBH.

Reaction Score
They're on the top of the page. If you want to see more scores, click on the sport name next to those sports on top. You'll get a magical surprise.

I wrote you have to scrollover to a dropdown menu to access the scores. How is your advice any different?

Reaction Score
I like it quite a bit. Man, whoever coined the term "land of steady habits" sure wasn't kidding.

Reaction Score
Old people crack me up.

I'm not even old, just don't have the time to readjust. The problem is they cater these re-designs, suitable to their intents, to people like yourself who spend all day on the internet, which just makes it more frustrating for those that don't when its not necessary. I'd rather be spending my time reading on here then creating a profile with espn.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wrote you have to scrollover to a dropdown menu to access the scores. How is your advice any different?

Click directly on the areas I circled in this screenshot...you can also click the arrow on the far right to keep going to other sports.

Attachments

• Click.PNG
    Click.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads