OT - Endoscopy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Endoscopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My wife's Sarcoid attacked her liver, causing portal hypertension, causing Esophageal Varicies - think varicose veins in your esophagus that can burst and cause death - this actually happened to one of her Doctors' parent. Discovered during a routine upper endoscopy because she had some minor acid reflux. She had 3 uppers between November - February, the first a "check" the second 2 to band the varicies - they put rubber bands on them, the skin dies . . . that's all I know. Successful, and no ill effects from the endoscopy itself, although the banding caused discomfort for about a week.

We both have had colonoscopies and both have had pre-cancerous polyps removed. Mine was 3 years ago and I have another one in 2 1/2 weeks to follow up; my wife has one in a bit over a week, also as a follow-up. As a friend said, the only issue is that the prep is a "shi**ing mess". Again no ill effects.

I too would encourage folks to get a colonoscopy as they get older. I was resistant and darned glad I finally gave in at 55. FWIW I too have diverticulitus, though no issues from it.

Reaction Score
ever had one... or 2 or 3?

I guess there's a difference... "Upper"

of course I'm not talking about colonoscopies
Yes a few times now, a piece of cake. When asked if I would mind both the same day I simply reply as long a you don't use the same tool. :D That or Endo first...

Im 30 and getting an Endo on Monday. Got a piece of steak caught in my esophagus a few months back and had to get it removed in the OR. No one can claim they've ever eaten a more expensive piece of steak than I. They are going to into check for inflammation, stricture, ring, etc.
Wrong beef breath! :) I know one that paid a higher price as he did not make the OR. No attack on your situation, just a pricing thing. Good luck on Monday.

Reaction Score
ever had one... or 2 or 3?

I guess there's a difference... "Upper"

of course I'm not talking about colonoscopies
Had the old colonoscopies---terrible experience. But the new way is super great absolutely no problem. I'm not a doctor but I saw Dr Wellby and Dr Kildare so I speak with lots of authority. Endoscopy also is a no brainer and easy. No need for any one to avoid them because of pain or any other excuse--they are pain free.
On TV today they spoke about how Heartburn (Gerd too) medications cause heart attacks in up to 20 percent of those taking the meds--as I read it.
I had my knee replaced by the VA 20 months ago and the pain now is twice what it was prior to surgery--I'd never do that again. Every appointment I was told 6 months more and it will be good, didn't happen then was told I'm old (in effect) I was old when they replaced it.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
WOW! does this thread say something about the age of many of the forum members?

How about we start listing meds & recent surgeries?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I've had 4 endoscopic procedures so far this last year and a half and facing more since I have Barrett's with high grade dysplasia on a node in my esophagus which was removed successfully. Facing 3 to 4 procedures with RFA(radio Frequency Ablation) to remove the Barrett's cells. The Endoscopy itself is nothing, but with the RFA you would be on soft food(baby food consistency) for 3 to 5 days. Will be on Nexium 24 type meds for the rest of my life since I also have a hiatal hernia that can't be repaired due to the Barrett's.
Good luck with the procedure, it's easy. Anyone who suffers from Reflux should have it done.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
WOW! does this thread say something about the age of many of the forum members?

How about we start listing meds & recent surgeries?
I'm sure this thread informed and encouraged maybe at least one person... in that case, our job is done.
If you haven't run into doing any of these procedures... you soon will.
BTW I'm at the age where all these produces just start being recommended to you by your doctor

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've had 4 endoscopic procedures so far this last year and a half and facing more since I have Barrett's with high grade dysplasia on a node in my esophagus which was removed successfully. Facing 3 to 4 procedures with RFA(radio Frequency Ablation) to remove the Barrett's cells. The Endoscopy itself is nothing, but with the RFA you would be on soft food(baby food consistency) for 3 to 5 days. Will be on Nexium 24 type meds for the rest of my life since I also have a hiatal hernia that can't be repaired due to the Barrett's.
Good luck with the procedure, it's easy. Anyone who suffers from Reflux should have it done.
Best wishes! It sounds like a moderately tough, but necessary road.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm sure this thread informed and encouraged maybe at least one person... in that case, our job is done.
If you haven't run into doing any of these procedures... you soon will.
BTW I'm at the age where all these produces just start being recommended to you by your doctor
And the digital exam has nothing to do with computers!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
An idea for a startup - a mobile endoscope parked outside women's basketball games.

A quick market sampling leads me to believe that it might be a gold mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom