OT-Deathstorm | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the Vermont feel of it. Its a little outdoor paradise imo. I probably wouldn't have liked it until I got into my mid 30's.
I always liked the Barkhamsted area but never lived there. You have the reservoir and Ski Sundown that is good for a few hours of skiing if you don't feel like driving north. I also like the Winsted downtown area which is close by. For music you have Infinity Hall in Norfolk which can't be more than 20 minutes away. I saw the Wailers there a few years ago which was fun and I drove there from Windsor.

But I don't think I could have lived there when I was younger either. Of course back then, Boney's was open for live music.

Reaction Score
My only complaint with this one when dealing with wet snow is the bottom of the intake. Most brands have adopted the same approach, leaving it open, with the lower lip moved well back behind the auger. In my old one the lower edge was further forward, which helped scrape and scoop the nasty wet stuff. But since they are all the same now I had no real options, and Ariens are absolute tanks.
I’m a fan of Honda. Always start. SoldThis when we moved to FL. NEVER had a storm that was too big for it. Can’t beat track drive

Reaction Score
OMG! I don't miss any of this. I'm getting cold just reading this thread.

1608294134477.png

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever had a Yamaha snowblower? Only sold in Canada, supposed to be legendary.
No but Honda machines great. Expensive but never saw a storm it couldn’t handle

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Similar story. 20yo Craftsman, 29"/9.5hp (?) finally wore out 3 years ago, replaced with 24" Craftsman, and the difference is stark. Not only that, but found out the hard way I couldn't treat them the same... let gas in over the summer and ended up replacing the carburetor. Only use TruFuel now, with SeaFoam, and always run it out before putting it away. Took it out 2 weeks ago, and it started, and filled it up yesterday to get ready. Started again to be sure. I hate this new stuff.

This stuff is pure gold. Haven't drained a gas tank at end of season in a decade. B&S actually recommends against it now, based on this stuff:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I have not read this entire thread, but I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this was not the light fluffy snow we were told it would be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have not read this entire thread, but I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this was not the light fluffy snow we were told it would be.

You're not the only one. I'm in MA, and while it was fluffy and blowing on top, the stuff at the bottom was heavy and compacted.

Worst of all, I forgot to put my driveway markers out. That's usually a Thanksgiving weekend ritual for me. Stupid covid has me all messed up.

Reaction Score
No but Honda machines great. Expensive but never saw a storm it couldn’t handle
Which model do you have? I googled them and they vary in price from $800 to $3000, to even up to $8000.

I wonder if the cheaper ones still do the job for a residence with an average sized driveway, but the more expensive ones are more for commercial snow removal or for a very long driveway.

Reaction Score
I'm re-upping my Bellows Falls VT total estimate to 24". One of our tenants usually removes snow by hand (he has a device like a plastic sled with handles that pushes the snow ahead & then he turns it and dumps it). He was busy at work and I'll see tomorrow if he got some done. I shoveled myself and wife helped too and we cleared both our cars which took long time (3 hours for me, 1 for her due to late start). More snow than I can ever remember in one storm.
This is a rental property and we're in it because of remodeling our normal home in NH- tomorrow I'll make it over there, they had 37" supposedly in Claremont which is half hour north of us, so we must have gotten dumped on too. At least there we do have a plow guy (although he doesn't do a good job and I still have to shovel some anyway).

My dad was a 55 year member of post 37 in Bellows Falls. My Brother was the batboy on Carlton Fisk's Post 37American baseball Legion team. Still have an Aunt and cousins in Bellows falls. Is your normal home in North Walpole?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah wind is the enemy of the snowblower. Layer up and cover your face. Thank god for Lamont enslaving us to face coverings!
Do you really have it so bad?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I never understood the cases of water. People always stock up on water like their faucets will stop working from a simple death storm.
A fairly substantial percentage of CT's population relies on well water -- which stops when the power goes out. As automatic, permanently installed emergency generators become more prevalent, it will decrease. But if you're relying on a portable generator and extension cord for you're emergency power, as most have for years, it's a different story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which model do you have? I googled them and they vary in price from $800 to $3000, to even up to $8000.

I wonder if the cheaper ones still do the job for a residence with an average sized driveway, but the more expensive ones are more for commercial snow removal or for a very long driveway.
I had the 928s. (I think). Was track drive 2 stage. I had a fairly decent driveway. About 70 ft and a side Parking area for 4 cars. That machine was bulletproof. I actually sold it to a landscaper who said he only uses Honda machines. I got lucky. Bought it one year old and sold it in August 13 years later for 200 less than i paid. Could have made more if I waited until it got cold. Went to the shop once in 14 years. Highly recommend. Was about 2400 new in 2007

Reaction Score
Well, if water mains freeze or break (physically break or electronic control of the system), it will disrupt water to the home.
If you have a pump like much of suburban and rural CT you have no water when you lose electric.
During Hurricane Gloria we lost power for a week so my wife would shower and dress for work at her Mom’s and I would at my parent’s . Thankfully they both had electric and city water.
Luckily they were both on the way to work
My parents had an unoccupied finished basement apartment with its own shower so I didn’t even bother them.
We had such great parents who this post just reminded me of how much they are missed.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm re-upping my Bellows Falls VT total estimate to 24". One of our tenants usually removes snow by hand (he has a device like a plastic sled with handles that pushes the snow ahead & then he turns it and dumps it). He was busy at work and I'll see tomorrow if he got some done. I shoveled myself and wife helped too and we cleared both our cars which took long time (3 hours for me, 1 for her due to late start). More snow than I can ever remember in one storm.
This is a rental property and we're in it because of remodeling our normal home in NH- tomorrow I'll make it over there, they had 37" supposedly in Claremont which is half hour north of us, so we must have gotten dumped on too. At least there we do have a plow guy (although he doesn't do a good job and I still have to shovel some anyway).
My son lives in Danby. The prediction was for 6 to 10. He got 37. As in thirty -#$@*-seven. Inches. Three feet and and inch. Of snow. I don't care how fluffy it is, when there's more than 3 feet of it, it's too dang much.
My grand daughter lives in New Hampshire, right near the VT border. Not sure what here number was, but her SUV disappeared. The little bare spot on the side is her review mirror. The pic of my son's truck is his hunting truck with the lift kit and giant mud tires.
19087.jpg
FB_IMG_1608297337431.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member