OT: D-Day - 6/6/44 | The Boneyard

OT: D-Day - 6/6/44

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Seventy-seven years ago today the beginning of the end of WWII in Europe began on the beaches of Normandy. May the World never have to go through that again and may all of those who laid their lives down for freedom never be forgotten.

Reaction Score
Robert Taylor has the lead in this WW 2 drama as an American army officer who falls in love with a British girl(Dana Wynter) while stationed in England. The only problem--he's married and she's already engaged to an English infantry officer, played by Richard Todd. Edmond O'Brien costars, and gives one of his best onscreen performances.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In his great history of D-Day, historian Steven Ambrose highlights one of the advantages that American troops had, while pinned down on Omaha Beach under withering enemy fire. Few had ever been in combat before. They didn’t know that their situation was hopeless, and against all odds, they fought their way off the beach.

In the famous words of General George Taylor from that fateful day. “There are only two kinds of people staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are gonna die. Now let’s get the hell out of here.”

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My Uncle who landed on Omaha Beach told me that he thought that the best movie that he ever saw about D-Day was The Longest Day.

One of my all time favorite movies. I am also partial to Spielberg & Hanks 2nd episode of the Band of Brothers miniseries, “Day of Days” which chronicles Easy Company and the 101st Airborne jump into Normandy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't forget the brilliant scientists who perfected Radar Technology allowing us to take back the Atlantic Ocean and make any invasion of a European beach head possible. :cool::cool:

Reaction Score
In his great history of D-Day, historian Steven Ambrose highlights one of the advantages that American troops had, while pinned down on Omaha Beach under withering enemy fire. Few had ever been in combat before. They didn’t know that their situation was hopeless, and against all odds, they fought their way off the beach.

In the famous words of General George Taylor from that fateful day. “There are only two kinds of people staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are gonna die. Now let’s get the hell out of here.”
Hi oldude, I just finished watching THE LONGEST DAY DVD and in it Brig. Gen. Norman Cota said those words, "There are only two kinds of people staying on this beach, those who are already dead and those who are going to die. Now let's get the hell out of here!"
General Cota was one of many special hero's on that day as Omaha Beach was the worst of the target beaches. And was bottle-necked with almost no movement till General Cota lead the way!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hi oldude, I just finished watching THE LONGEST DAY DVD and in it Brig. Gen. Norman Cota said those words, "There are only two kinds of people staying on this beach, those who are already dead and those who are going to die. Now let's get the hell out of here!"
General Cota was one of many special hero's on that day as Omaha Beach was the worst of the target beaches. And was bottle-necked with almost no movement till General Cota lead the way!
The Longest Day incorrectly attributed that quote to General Cota, played by Robert Mitchum, which created some historical confusion. The actual quote was uttered by General Taylor.

General Cota was on Omaha Beach on D-Day, and he did lead his men heroically, including commanding the team of engineers that blew up the sea wall using Bangalore torpedoes. There were a number of quotes from D-Day attributed to General Cota. His most famous quote was similar to General Taylor’s, if not quite as stirring, “Gentlemen we are being killed on the beaches. Let us go inland and be killed.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder how many of the soldiers who took part in that invasion are still alive?
Just one American is still alive. Charles Shay, a 96 year old Penobscot Indian, who was born in Bristol, CT and now lives in Maine. On D-Day, Shay was a combat medic attached to the 1st Infantry Division. He was part of the first wave that landed on Omaha Beach.

Shay treated and saved the lives of countless soldiers on Omaha Beach. Later, he was reported missing at the Battle of Remagen. He had been captured by the Germans and was liberated from a POW camp at the end of the war. For his efforts and courage throughout WWII, Shay earned one Silver Star, 3 Bronze Stars and in 2007 was awarded the French Legion of Honor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd like to recommend historian Rick Atkinson's brilliant trilogy about the war in the Western Theater. Begins with the invasion of North Africa, and ends with the surrender of Germany.

And for those interested in going back a bit further, to the American Revolution, Atkinson has written the first of what he envisions as his revolution trilogy about that struggle for independence. Gives great perspective to Connecticut, as we cheer on UConn and Coach Geno.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Robert Taylor has the lead in this WW 2 drama as an American army officer who falls in love with a British girl(Dana Wynter) while stationed in England. The only problem--he's married and she's already engaged to an English infantry officer, played by Richard Todd. Edmond O'Brien costars, and gives one of his best onscreen performances.
Have you seen "The Americanization of Emily" a 1964 movie starring James Garner at his best, and a young and beautiful Julie Andrews? It's an anti war movie. Here's a description:

"During the build-up to D-Day in 1944, the British found their island hosting many thousands of American soldiers who were "oversexed, overpaid, and over here". That's Lieutenant Commander Charles Edward Madison (James Garner) exactly; he knows all of the angles to make life as smooth and risk-free as possible for himself. But things become complicated when he falls for English woman Emily Barham (Dame Julie Andrews), and his commanding officer's nervous breakdown leads to Charles being sent on a senseless and dangerous mission."

RIP James Garner — this clip (from his favorite film of all he acted in) shows his talent. This may be the best antiwar scene ever put on celluloid.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just had to add, the most beautiful, haunting movie theme song.

Reaction Score
Just one American is still alive. Charles Shay, a 96 year old Penobscot Indian, who was born in Bristol, CT and now lives in Maine. On D-Day, Shay was a combat medic attached to the 1st Infantry Division. He was part of the first wave that landed on Omaha Beach.

Shay treated and saved the lives of countless soldiers on Omaha Beach. Later, he was reported missing at the Battle of Remagen. He had been captured by the Germans and was liberated from a POW camp at the end of the war. For his efforts and courage throughout WWII, Shay earned one Silver Star, 3 Bronze Stars and in 2007 was awarded the French Legion of Honor.
I found it hard to believe only one American is still alive. I found the following article. 96-year-old American is lone veteran to attend D-Day anniversary

The National D-Day estimates there are about 2600 US veterans still alive.

Charles Shay was the only veteran of the approximate 150,000 allied troops who attended this year's event. Charles Shay currently lives in France and was able to attend while Covid precautions prevented others.

Reaction Score
Seventy-seven years ago today the beginning of the end of WWII in Europe began on the beaches of Normandy. May the World never have to go through that again and may all of those who laid their lives down for freedom never be forgotten.
Yes I have been to Normandy and walked the beaches and the memorial cemetery .. inspiring! .. the French keep the site immaculate.

Reaction Score
The Longest Day incorrectly attributed that quote to General Cota, played by Robert Mitchum, which created some historical confusion. The actual quote was uttered by General Taylor.

General Cota was on Omaha Beach on D-Day, and he did lead his men heroically, including commanding the team of engineers that blew up the sea wall using Bangalore torpedoes. There were a number of quotes from D-Day attributed to General Cota. His most famous quote was similar to General Taylor’s, if not quite as stirring, “Gentlemen we are being killed on the beaches. Let us go inland and be killed.”
Hi oldude! Sorry 'bout that I went by the movie and obviously it was wrong! Thanks for setting me straight! I appreciate it!

Reaction Score
My uncle jumped with the 101st that day. Never talked about the week he spent behind enemy lines before meeting up again with American troops. Never talked much about anything over the years. He and his two brothers were fighting in Europe at the same time. Hard on my grandmother.

Twenty-five years later I trained with the 101st at Fort Campbell but I wasn't Airborne. Near the end of training I volunteered to a drill sergeant I met in a commissary the information about my uncle. He listened and then gathered a group around and we all drank beer until after I was due back in the barracks. Those Airborne Rangers wanted to know everything they could about any man that survived that day at Normandy. They talked about what they had already been through in Vietnam and then told me (in other more direct language) not to get me manhood shot off while wandering around with my head in the clouds.

My father was a Marine in the South Pacific and as they say once a Marine always a Marine, but the 101st can give any group a run for the money when it comes to being loyal to their unit.

They knew what we all should know about the men of that Greatest Generation who fought and lived and died on that beach and in its waters that no more heroic action has been taken by soldiers anywhere. It was "hopeless" but they persevered. None should be forgotten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom