OT Current and Former New Yorkers, I'm Curious | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Current and Former New Yorkers, I'm Curious

Reaction Score
Wonderful. You should be very proud. BTW, who was #1 in the country that year? It said CK was #2.
#1 Oregon City [OR] was also undefeated but didn't defeat five state champions like CK did that year. Cardinal O'Hara from Philly was pre-season no. 1 but lost to CK 49-46. After the loss to CK, O'Hara went undefeated for the rest of the year while averaging 90 points per game!
Oregon City is the top team on a list that names the best-ever high school girls' teams.
BTW, Sue Bird enrolled at Christ the King the following year.

Reaction Score
Do you remember a male high school basketball player from New York who was highly ranked and at one point some said he was ready for the NBA when he was a sophomore? It was the late seventies or early eighties. He was the talk of New York. However, when his school played against a team that featured Gene Banks, Banks, who wound up at Duke because Penn did not give scholarships, destroyed him. This player never was the same. I believe he wound up at St. John. His last name was McCoy. I can't remember his first name but he was highly overrated.,
Yes .. Wayne McCoy from Long Island Lutheran. I believe he played with Reggie Carter at LuHi.

Reaction Score
You were blessed to live that close to the Paramount. Man, the shows you must have seen. Well, we have two things in common, love of Doo Wop and we graduated high school in 1959.
Yes Don, I was lucky to see so many Alan Freed shows, in downtown Brooklyn, a few blocks from my high school .. I still listen to doo wop at home, in my car, I have playlists from my doo wop website : nydoowop dot com .. lucky me!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes Don, I was lucky to see so many Alan Freed shows, in downtown Brooklyn, a few blocks from my high school .. I still listen to doo wop at home, in my car, I have playlists from my doo wop website : nydoowop dot com .. lucky me!
Yes, I listened to your website. There are a lot of my favorite songs on there and some I liked that I had never heard. I enjoyed years ago listening to and reading about some white guys talk about how they responded when they first heard Doo Wop and how excited it made them to discover this new music. Of course for us it was not new. One guy said his friends were playing ball in the street below his window and wondered why he was not coming out. His response was something to the effect "I won't be playing today, I'm listening to this exciting new sound, this new music." How old were you when you first heard Doo Wop and what was your reaction?

Reaction Score
My mother, a life-long Red Sox fan, was at the Don Larsen game. Her father (a Yankees fan like his grandchildren) had two tickets, but the friend who was supposed to go with him got sick. Recently a widower, he was living with my parents in NY, and he got my mother to go with him. Somewhere in a cabinet, she still has the scorecard.

Reaction Score
I was at Shea Stadium the night Tom Seaver lost his perfect game in the 9th inning with one out to a hitter named Jim Qualls. It was a huge crowd and he was very fast that night. You could see early on he had his “A” stuff.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
For the pat three weeks I have been watching my local PBS station's replay of the History of Baseball. From the time I was very young I heard about the teams from New York and their legendary players and stadiums. I could only imagine because they were not on television. I heard about the Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Flatbush, Harlem, Spanish Harlem and Queens. The show talked a lot about New York baseball history. It showed children playing baseball in the streets, once kids playing with Willie Mays. Also, as I got older I would read about Christ the King High, Boys and Girls High and Power Memorial High. It made me think of other questions I had about New York. My questions for you, for those who are willing to answer them, are as follows:
!. Were any of you at the game in 1951 when Bobby Thompson hit his "home run heard around the world"
2. At the World Series game in 1956 when Don Larsen pitched his perfect game
3. The game in which Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's home run record
4. Are the Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Harlem, and Queens neighboring communities
5. Did any of you attend Christ the King of Boys and Girls High
6. Did any of you ever attend any R&B/Rock & Roll Shows at the Apollo
7. Were any of you disappointed when the Giants and Dodgers left New York

I have always wondered what life was like in New York for teenagers during the forties and fifties.
My mom grew up in Washington Heights in the 20s-40s, very close to the Polo Grounds, which was basically across the river from Yankee Stadium. During that era, baseball was huge in NYC and she often attended their games. Her favorite player was Lou Gehrig.

Reaction Score
I grew up in North Jersey in the 40's and 50's , an avid Dodgers' fan starting in 1947. Of course, Jackie was my favorite player. Went to my first game in 1947, at the Polo Grounds. Watched Ewell "The Whip" Blackwell pitch for the Reds. Saw my first World Series game in 1951. For some reason very clearly remember Eddie Stanky stealing second for the Giants, kicking the ball out of Rizzuto's glove. But my highlight Series game was in 1953, as Erskine struck out 14 Yankees, and Campanella hit a home run that I almost caught in the left field stands. I'm still a Dodgers' fan; never understood how fans could stop rooting for the players just because they were in Los Angeles. And earlier this week I was thrilled to get a look at the Dodgers' Series ring. A friend who I play golf with , was showing a photo of the ring that was presented to his son. His son played in the majors, and is now an advance scout for the Dodgers. Quite the piece of jewelry; not meant to be worn.
Someone mentioned Alcindor, and I actually saw him playing for Power Memorial at the Garden. They were playing DeMatha from Maryland, coached by the legendary Morgan Wootton.
And someone else mentioned Bobby Knight. He spoke at the athletic awards banquet at the Ct. school where I was teaching, while he was coaching at West Point. Very forgettable speech. On the other hand, Jack Donahue ,Alcindor's coach from Power Memorial, also spoke one year, and was very entertaining. Oh, and we also had that old Yankee Lefty Gomez one year, and we were rolling in the aisles for an hour. Great story about getting a guy in a run-down between home plate and the dugout.

Reaction Score
I was born and raised in the Bronx, on the Grand Concourse. About 2 miles from Yankee Stadium.
Echo Place and Tremont Ave. were nearby.
Between 1962 and 1965 I had season tickets to the New York Football Giants in Yankee Stadium in the first base seats (end zone seats) 7 games $7.00 a game, $49.00 a season! You can't get a beer for that in the current Giant Stadium in NJ!
I left to go to William Jewell College in Liberty, MO in September 1965 and my NYC days were basically over!

Reaction Score
Yes, I listened to your website. There are a lot of my favorite songs on there and some I liked that I had never heard. I enjoyed years ago listening to and reading about some white guys talk about how they responded when they first heard Doo Wop and how excited it made them to discover this new music. Of course for us it was not new. One guy said his friends were playing ball in the street below his window and wondered why he was not coming out. His response was something to the effect "I won't be playing today, I'm listening to this exciting new sound, this new music." How old were you when you first heard Doo Wop and what was your reaction?
I was in the 8th grade in 1954-55. Alan Freed had just come to town and was playing doo wop and his brand of rock-n-roll every night on radio station WINS. His music took over my Queens neighborhood and the rest of the City.
In those days, the neighborhood girls frequently had dance parties down their basements and played Alan Freed's doo wop on 45 rpm vinyl records. I'll never forget my first slooow dance with a girl! Her name was Gloria. [I still have her photo]. We danced to "Story Untold" by The Nutmegs. She pressed her chest up against mine as we were dancing and had me sweating! She eventually became my girlfriend because I couldn't resist her. I was an easy conquest, eh?
Other popular groups in 1955 were The Moonglows, The Penguins, and The Heartbeats et al.
Lead singer for The Hearbeats - James 'Shep' Sheppard - started another well-known group, Shep and the Limelights. Tragically, he was murdered on the street [Van Wyck Expressway] after flashing a wad of cash at a bar in his hometown of Jamaica, Queens.
I consider Shep to be the top lead singer of the doo wop era alongside Richard Blandon (Dubs), Willie Winfield (Harptones), Rudy West (Five Keys), Bobby Lester (Moonglows) and Jimmy Beaumont (Skyliners)
Top Girls' group(s): Chantels and The Angels

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I grew up in North Jersey in the 40's and 50's , an avid Dodgers' fan starting in 1947. Of course, Jackie was my favorite player. Went to my first game in 1947, at the Polo Grounds. Watched Ewell "The Whip" Blackwell pitch for the Reds. Saw my first World Series game in 1951. For some reason very clearly remember Eddie Stanky stealing second for the Giants, kicking the ball out of Rizzuto's glove. But my highlight Series game was in 1953, as Erskine struck out 14 Yankees, and Campanella hit a home run that I almost caught in the left field stands. I'm still a Dodgers' fan; never understood how fans could stop rooting for the players just because they were in Los Angeles. And earlier this week I was thrilled to get a look at the Dodgers' Series ring. A friend who I play golf with , was showing a photo of the ring that was presented to his son. His son played in the majors, and is now an advance scout for the Dodgers. Quite the piece of jewelry; not meant to be worn.
Someone mentioned Alcindor, and I actually saw him playing for Power Memorial at the Garden. They were playing DeMatha from Maryland, coached by the legendary Morgan Wootton.
And someone else mentioned Bobby Knight. He spoke at the athletic awards banquet at the Ct. school where I was teaching, while he was coaching at West Point. Very forgettable speech. On the other hand, Jack Donahue ,Alcindor's coach from Power Memorial, also spoke one year, and was very entertaining. Oh, and we also had that old Yankee Lefty Gomez one year, and we were rolling in the aisles for an hour. Great story about getting a guy in a run-down between home plate and the dugout.
I definitely remember "The Whip" Blackwell. Did you see the game in which DeMatha ended Power Memorial's long winning streak?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I was in the 8th grade in 1954-55. Alan Freed had just come to town and was playing doo wop and his brand of rock-n-roll every night on radio station WINS. His music took over my Queens neighborhood and the rest of the City.
In those days, the neighborhood girls frequently had dance parties down their basements and played Alan Freed's doo wop on 45 rpm vinyl records. I'll never forget my first slooow dance with a girl! Her name was Gloria. [I still have her photo]. We danced to "Story Untold" by The Nutmegs. She pressed her chest up against mine as we were dancing and had me sweating! She eventually became my girlfriend because I couldn't resist her. I was an easy conquest, eh?
Other popular groups in 1955 were The Moonglows, The Penguins, and The Heartbeats et al.
Lead singer for The Hearbeats - James 'Shep' Sheppard - started another well-known group, Shep and the Limelights. Tragically, he was murdered on the street [Van Wyck Expressway] after flashing a wad of cash at a bar in his hometown of Jamaica, Queens.
I consider Shep to be the top lead singer of the doo wop era alongside Richard Blandon (Dubs), Willie Winfield (Harptones), Rudy West (Five Keys), Bobby Lester (Moonglows) and Jimmy Beaumont (Skyliners)
Top Girls' group(s): Chantels and The Angels
How could you leave out James "Pookie" Hudson of
the Spaniels, Nate Nelson of the Flamingos and Bill Baker of the second version of the 5 Satins? In my opinion the best bass was Gerald Gregory of the Spaniels and the smoothest bass was Wally Roker of the Heartbeats. Pookie was the first lead singer to start singing on a mic by himself while the other members of the group gathered around one mic. He was very innovative. How could you leave him out?;) The ones you named were also favorites of mine. From what I read about Shep and his ego, he also thought he was the top lead singer of the era.

Reaction Score
5. Did any of you attend Christ the King of Boys and Girls High

I have always wondered what life was like in New York for teenagers during the forties and fifties.
I attended Boys HS (there was a separate Girls HS, they merged some years after I graduated). I graduated in 1964 and Boys HS was of course all boys. It was a rough neighborhood (I remember being mugged on the way to school and having to walk home because I didn't have the nickel required for the bus). We were City Champs for two of the four years I attended in both basketball and track (I ran track and cross country). Was not (and am not) especially interested in baseball so no memories there. Interestingly, my younger brother became the vice principal of Boys and Girls High before retiring.

Reaction Score
How could you leave out James "Pookie" Hudson of
the Spaniels, Nate Nelson of the Flamingos and Bill Baker of the second version of the 5 Satins? In my opinion the best bass was Gerald Gregory of the Spaniels and the smoothest bass was Wally Roker of the Heartbeats. Pookie was the first lead singer to start singing on a mic by himself while the other members of the group gathered around one mic. He was very innovative. How could you leave him out?;) The ones you named were also favorites of mine. From what I read about Shep and his ego, he also thought he was the top lead singer of the era.
WOW Don, you really know your doo wop [hence your moniker?] .. yes, I left out some notable lead singers, especially Arlene Smith of the Chantels who wrote and sang lead on her [long list of] hits. Her creation, "Whoever You Are" is my favourite ballad by a girls' group.
Then there's Bill Baker who was outstanding singing lead for the Five Satins on the mega-hit, "To the Aisle" but Fred Parris was the heart-and-soul of the Satins singing & writing, "In the Still of the Night" & "Wonderful Girl" .. eh?
Besides the Five Satins, there are well-known doo wop groups that had several outstanding lead singers: The Drifters [McPhatter&BenE_King], The Impressions [Butler&Mayfield] and so on...
Best bass lead: The Drifters - "White Christmas [McPhatter falsetto]

Reaction Score
Big Giant fan in 1940's. We lived in Queens until we moved to LI in late 1949. Attended a number of Polo Grounds games in those days, and one each in Ebbetts & Yankee Stadium, but not for any of the historical events.

We got the first TV in the neighborhood in 1947. About a 10" B&W. I remember a big Giant-Dodger game when my father invited a bunch of guys from the 'hood to watch the game on TV. Chairs lined up theater style in the living room. Evenly divided between Giant & Dodger fans (no such thing as a Yankee fan in that area). Keg of beer iced down in the kitchen sink. Great stuff. I remember Johnny Mize hitting a huge home run over the bullpen in right-center field in the Polo Grounds, which made him my Giant hero until Monte Irvin and then Willie Mays came along.

Devastated when the Giants left NY. I still think moving Willie Mays out of the Polo Grounds was a Crime Against Nature.
Great Story!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was born and raised in the Bronx, on the Grand Concourse. About 2 miles from Yankee Stadium.
Echo Place and Tremont Ave. were nearby.
Between 1962 and 1965 I had season tickets to the New York Football Giants in Yankee Stadium in the first base seats (end zone seats) 7 games $7.00 a game, $49.00 a season! You can't get a beer for that in the current Giant Stadium in NJ!
I left to go to William Jewell College in Liberty, MO in September 1965 and my NYC days were basically over!
Anywhere near the Loews Paradise Theatre? I worked for Loews, originally as a Manager and later an auditor. I visited the theatre when I was still managing with a security guard named "Rhino" who worked both there and the theatre I managed in NJ. Later, I audited it a couple times before it was closed. Beautiful theatre, at least originally. You could still see the beauty even in the 1980's when I saw it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ahhh... I remember my father taking me out to the area behind center field to see the monuments of the most magnificent Yankees, Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig. (I can't remember if Joe DiMaggio was the 3d monument at that time.) I was a kid of the late 40s and early 50s and a huge Yankee fan. I played catcher and my nickname was Yogi for obvious reasons. I lived right outside of Fort Monmouth in New Jersey and when Whitey Ford was stationed there, he played for the Special Services baseball team. I went to all their games during that period just to watch him pitch and to see how the catcher caught him...
The 3rd monument was to Miller Huggins, the first great manager of the Yankees (1920's) who died while still the Manager. Those were the only 3 that were originally in the field and later formed the basis of monument park.

Reaction Score
Anywhere near the Loews Paradise Theatre? I worked for Loews, originally as a Manager and later an auditor. I visited the theatre when I was still managing with a security guard named "Rhino" who worked both there and the theatre I managed in NJ. Later, I audited it a couple times before it was closed. Beautiful theatre, at least originally. You could still see the beauty even in the 1980's when I saw it.
Hi KB! I was a mile or so from the Loew's Paradise on the way to Fordham Rd. I go back to 1960's and up to the 1980's!
Yes it was an art deco theater that I went to often!
What wonderful memories!

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Hi KB! I was a mile or so from the Loew's Paradise on the way to Fordham Rd. I go back to 1960's and up to the 1980's!
Yes it was an art deco theater that I went to often!
What wonderful memories!
Art Deco? One of the most beautiful and fascinating types of architecture ever.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Art Deco? One of the most beautiful and fascinating types of architecture ever.
I agree about Art Deco, that and Frank Lloyd Wright work are my favorite. While I am sure there were elements, the style of the theatre is called "atmospheric". The original full size auditorium was supposed to make you think you were in a Venetian Garden and featured lit stars and moving clouds on the ceiling. Even after division into 4 smaller movie theatres, the upper one(s) still had the working ceiling.

It was one of the original "million dollar" theatres, I actually managed the Loews Jersey for a while, which was another one of them (opened in the late 1920's). It was called the Loews Jersey City Triplex when I managed it. Completely different style (Baroque / Rococo). That's what made visiting the Paradise so interesting.

Reaction Score
The theatres that were built in the 20s and 30s when Art Deco was in vogue [think Chrysler Building] were beautiful beyond compare. The Brooklyn Paramount was home to doo wop artists in the 50s and many jazz greats. Indeed, the Wurlitzer organ in the Brooklyn Paramount is a four manual, 26 rank instrument with 1,838 pipes and continues to be used at at various events.

Reaction Score
Wow. Power Memorial and Dematha. I remember listening to epic games between those two when the played each other at the Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament in Cumberland, Maryland back in the 1960's. The ACIT used to have teams from all over the country come to play with the first tournament being held in 1961 through today with teams from Baltimore, DC, New York, Philly, Chicago and other cities across the country.

More here.

Reaction Score
Going back through the website, both Power Memorial Academy and Christ the King played in the ACIT, but not at the same time. Power Memorial was in the tournament with DeMatha in 1973.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom