OT: Credit card skimming | The Boneyard

OT: Credit card skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I used a card at a very busy gas station in NH last week. I was in a hurry and didn't pay a lot of attention to the card reader. It was the 1st time I had used that card all week. I checked my account on line at 6:30 the next AM and found 4 bogus charges totaling about $200. I called my credit union and they cancelled the card. I went in to the local branch at 9 AM to pick up a new card. Between 6:30 and 9 an additional 11 charges totaling more than $3000 had been attempted, all were declined.

It pays to check your card accounts frequently, especially when traveling.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I used a card at a very busy gas station in NH last week. I was in a hurry and didn't pay a lot of attention to the card reader. It was the 1st time I had used that card all week. I checked my account on line at 6:30 the next AM and found 4 bogus charges totaling about $200. I called my credit union and they cancelled the card. I went in to the local branch at 9 AM to pick up a new card. Between 6:30 and 9 an additional 11 charges totaling more than $3000 had been attempted, all were declined.

It pays to check your card accounts frequently, especially when traveling.
Wow!
I once dropped a card at a NYS thruway gas station, and by the time I noticed about 4 hours later I had bought about 30 people full tanks of gas! I've only had one card 'in-my-hand' compromised - happened in South Africa and I knew something strange had happened and was able to cancel the card in an hour - 4 charges later!
It is a crap shoot and the price we pay for the incredible freedom plastic allows us.
FYI - I had someone re-write the amount on a company check in an incredibly amateurish manner that still made it past a cashier and my own bank, so the 'process' is not new, just the speed and ease with which it is accomplished.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My main credit card has been supposedly compromised about 5 times, each time the bank issues a new card.

Only once did charges actually appear - $1600 in 2 purchases at the local Macy's, IIRC. But they caught the others in advance, including an attempt to use the card at a local gas station (didn't have the pin), in a suspicious manor overseas, and another I don't remember.

OTH, I have had 2 totally unnecessary holds put on the card - at the Arizona Renaissance Festival, because the vendors were all based in different states, and most recently when my wife was in Myrtle Beach visiting her recently widowed mother and went to an outlet to buy shoes (for her mother).

Reaction Score
My main credit card has been supposedly compromised about 5 times, each time the bank issues a new card.

Only once did charges actually appear - $1600 in 2 purchases at the local Macy's, IIRC. But they caught the others in advance, including an attempt to use the card at a local gas station (didn't have the pin), in a suspicious manor overseas, and another I don't remember.

OTH, I have had 2 totally unnecessary holds put on the card - at the Arizona Renaissance Festival, because the vendors were all based in different states, and most recently when my wife was in Myrtle Beach visiting her recently widowed mother and went to an outlet to buy shoes (for her mother).

You can contact your credit card company (either on line or on the telephone) before traveling, to advise them of your plans so that holds are NOT put on your cards. I've done this frequently, and have never had any problems. Now, if I can only train my husband to make sure the first thing he does, before signing for anything, is to put his card away ...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
You can contact your credit card company (either on line or on the telephone) before traveling, to advise them of your plans so that holds are NOT put on your cards. I've done this frequently, and have never had any problems. Now, if I can only train my husband to make sure the first thing he does, before signing for anything, is to put his card away ...

Last weekend I was in San Francisco for my son's wedding and hosted a dinner the night before for my son, his bride-to-be and 50 guests at a restaurant. I paid with a credit card, but the credit card company wouldn't accept the charge (several thousand dollars), fearing it was fraudulent. As you suggest, I should have called the credit card company in advance but it hadn't dawned on me to do so. Fortunately, I had my check book with me and, also fortunately, the restaurant accepted my check. Otherwise all the guests would have been washing dishes. The wedding was wonderful apart from this near disaster.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I too have had my debit card compromised. The last two times where within 30 days of each other.
The first time, it was MY fault. I acted foolishly. I gave my debit card to our waitress at a local diner to pay for our meal. I let her take my card out of my site.
The second time was an inside job. A recently terminated employee (who was later apprehended by the authorities much to my delight and approval), compromised thousands of accounts. Mine just happened to be one of them. The bank replaced the stolen funds, but I had to jump through the obligatory hoops first.

Rule #1. NEVER let your card out of your site!!!
I can't emphasize or stress this enough. The only time this usually happens is when you go to a restaurant. NEVER EVER GIVE YOUR CARD TO ANYONE, AND LET THEM TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR SIGHT!!!

I know it's common practice to do this, and 99 times out of 100, we don't suffer any repercussions from doing so. I've learned my lesson. I've had my card compromised 3 times in this fashion. No more. When I go out to dinner now, I either go with my card to their point of sale terminal, or I visit a instant teller machine and withdraw some $$ so that I can pay my tab and tip in ca$h.

The last time I got burned was at a restaurant I've been going to for over 20 years. I was lazy and trusted the waitress. I got what I deserved for being lazy and trusting. Always go with your card. If the waitress has a problem with you going with your card, ask to see the manager. I've NEVER had a problem with my insistence of going with my card.

Rule #2. Be very careful and discerning where you use your card. There are some places I would NOT use any credit card (flea markets, farmer's markets, county fairs, yard sales, traveling carnivals, pumpkin patches or Christmas tree lots, etc). When I travel by car, I only stop at places that do a lot of business (brand name stations), that sell brand name gas. I won't stop at a mom & pop (an independent) station. I ALWAYS go inside to pay for my gas. I never use the card readers at the pumps. Outside card readers can be easily compromised without the vendor's knowledge.

I've had a an account lockout protocol placed on my debit and credit cards with my bank. When I travel out of my local area, I must notify my bank either online or by phone that I'm leaving the area, and for how long. Any attempts to use my card(s) without this prior notification will be denied by the bank, and my accounts immediately frozen until I call them at an unlisted or advertised phone number, and identify myself and give them a prearranged verbal "password". Only my wife and I know that password. Each time my card was compromised, my checking account was reduced to zero. I had to wait a week for a new card, and 4-5 days before the funds in my account were replaced by the bank.

If you've never had this happen to you, learn from our mistakes and misfortune. Guard your card(s) as you would your children and grandchildren. There are people that compromise credit and debit cards daily, and they're very good at what they do. Now, both of my cards have the electronic chip embedded in them. These cards are more difficult (almost impossible...for now) to comprise than the cards with the magnetic rip on the back. The rest of the world have been using these types of cards for years. The U.S. is one of the last of the major countries in the world to come on-line with this new technology. If you have a card that does not have this feature, I'd get one asap....like this week.

Another way to safeguard your cards. Reduce the usage of your cards. We do most of our shopping at two membership department stores. We use to use our debit cards for payment. Not anymore. We obtained one of their company (store) credit cards. We also do a lot of shopping at Target. We got one of their credit cards as well. The debit and credit card thieves don't waste their time trying to comprise those types of cards.

They want your DEBIT and CREDIT cards. They can use those cards anywhere....and they do. Once they get your debit card info, they WILL drain your account in 1-2 hours. They'll use your credit card until you or the bank puts a hold on that account. None of the purchases are small. They buy gift cards, computers, flat screens, etc........you get the idea. GUARD YOUR CARDS!!!! If you don't, no one else will. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carnac gives some very good advice. I do a few other things to combat debit / credit card fraud.

I use a checking account with a small balance to back up a debit card for strictly ATM cash purposes. That account does not have overdraft protection nor an overdraft allowance so it won't process any large purchases or transactions. I keep a few hundred dollars in that checking account, so if that card is ever compromised my exposure isn't that great. If I need more money in that account, I also keep a savings account in the same bank that can be used for instant transfers using my very passworded smart phone. Money can also be transferred 24/7 via a phone call.

Amex has been running promotions the past couple of years or so under the banner of Amex Offers for their credit cards. You can get access to these offer via social media or your online Amex account. A number of these Offers involve retailers which also sell gift cards (Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, Wal-Mart, Target, etc). I use these offers to buy gas station gift cards at a 20% to 30% discount. For example, Amex recently had a spend $150 get $30 cash back at Lowes. I used that to buy 3 $50 Shell Gift cards (a 20% savings). By using those gift cards, I save good money on gas and also don't have to worry about a gas pump being compromised and swiping my credit card information.

I also use as one of my primary credit cards, Chase INK, a business credit card. Anyone can sign up for the card using your social security number and as a small business. If you feel uncomfortable about that consider that if you sell stuff on Ebay you are technically a small business. Sometimes they offer very rich promos to sign up. The card has some good cash back, particularly on office supply stores (5%) and on cable and mobile phone bills (also 5%). You get 1% back on everything else. The advantage to this card is that you can have any number of sub-accounts (family members and yourself) and you can set the credit limit on each of the cards instantly, and on the fly. Ink also has a great smartphone ap which send an instant notification anytime the card is used by any of the subaccounts. You basically know instantly if your card is compromised. It also allows you to photograph your receipts and them access them later online for record keeping purposes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You got it.
I amaze myself at how aware i am to look at the reader nowadays. I saw one that looked shady and reported it. Never heard a follow up but I think i was new the next day.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I amaze myself at how aware i am to look at the reader nowadays. I saw one that looked shady and reported it. Never heard a follow up but I think i was new the next day.

I contacted the gas company and they had their security people inspect the pumps. Not surprisingly they didn't find anything.
I am semi cautious when using a card at a gas station but this time I was in a hurry (but I swear there was no visible external skimmer), and still pissed at the guy ahead of me - he was one of those pump the gas guys, leave the car at the pump and then go inside to pay cash and get in a little shopping.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I contacted the gas company and they had their security people inspect the pumps. Not surprisingly they didn't find anything.
I am semi cautious when using a card at a gas station but this time I was in a hurry (but I swear there was no visible external skimmer), and still pissed at the guy ahead of me - he was one of those pump the gas guys, leave the car at the pump and then go inside to pay cash and get in a little shopping.
well he did do this right

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
well he did do this right
I disagree. IMO the risk is small and is outweighed by the convenience. This incident cost me nothing and it was a lesson learned.
I will also remain at the table when I hand the server my card. :)

Reaction Score
I never use my debit card. Just too paranoid of it getting cloned. Which has happened enough to me with my credit cards to realize its not a matter of if but when.

I've noticed that many places have the new "chip" readers, which are supposed to be more secure, but I have yet to encounter one that actually works.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I've done this and they STILL put holds on it... It's annoying, but I'd rather they be vigilant about it. I got hit with a skimmer in northeast Philly. They bought a thousand dollars worth of liquor, $50 in gas, and tried to hit Macy's but my bank put a hold on it before they hit Macy's.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've done this and they STILL put holds on it... It's annoying, but I'd rather they be vigilant about it. I got hit with a skimmer in northeast Philly. They bought a thousand dollars worth of liquor, $50 in gas, and tried to hit Macy's but my bank put a hold on it before they hit Macy's.
And to be honest - I used to call and tell my credit card company when I traveled. I stopped, because they sent me a (real) communication saying it would no longer be necessary to tell them. I think the problem in my wife's case was she was in South Carolina and I was still in Tucson.

I don't do any of the measures discussed above to protect my card number. I do look at card readers for extra devices, I won't put card numbers in an e-mail or snail mail communication, etc. I don't know how the large scale schemers got my number (the test charge in England), but the 2 local incidents the number was scammed at a waitress station I am certain. However, I neither had to jump through any hoops nor suffered anything more than the inconvenience of waiting a couple days for a new card.

Contrary to someone's advice above, my wife and I use the one card for virtually everything. She does segregate her Paypal purchases - easier to track - and I use a Costco Card for, well, Costco and gas, but otherwise everything goes on a card that gives me quite large quantities of hotel nights with IHG (Holiday Inn) properties. I am a member of their highest rewards level not because of the numbers of nights we stay, but the large (over 12 months) charges we make! Well worth the credit card risk.

Reaction Score
For years, my Chase card would decline any computer purchase I tried to make, so I would pull out my Discover card. I always call later and ask why it was declined....." You don't usually buy computers"... (no kidding, how many does one buy in a year, and you never see a purchase because you decline it every time...:()

Also they would decline a hotel on my way home from Florida... every time... and only that hotel...every place else no problem..:confused:

I'm still waiting for any of my credit cards to send me a new chipped card....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom