OT: Consulting | The Boneyard

OT: Consulting

Reaction Score
Hi All,

This is way off topic, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm a rising Junior at a small college in the southeast interested in working in management consulting. At the moment I'm trying to learn more about the industry and the different types of work people have done within it. I was wondering if anyone on here works in, has worked in, or knows someone that has worked in consulting (i.e. McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting Group, Accenture, Deloitte, Parthenon, Oliver Wyman, Strategy&, L.E.K., etc.) and would be willing to chat more with me about their experience.

Thanks in advance for your help guys. Love the BY and hate to litter it with a thread like this, but would love some guidance if there is anyone out there with experience.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hi All,

I'm a rising Junior at a small college in the southeast interested in working in management consulting. At the moment I'm trying to learn more about the industry and the different types of work people have done within it. I was wondering if anyone on here works in, has worked in, or knows someone that has worked in consulting (i.e. McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting Group, Accenture, Deloitte, Parthenon, Oliver Wyman, Strategy&, L.E.K., etc.) and would be willing to chat more with me about their experience.

Thanks in advance for your help guys. Love the BY and hate to litter it with a thread like this, but would love some guidance if there is anyone out there with experience.

Congratulations. Before you can consult you have to interview and get hired.

Do yourself a favor and don't ever use the phrase "rising junior" or "rising xxxxx". You should be presenting yourself as a young professional, not filling space for your "Who's Who" profile (if that even exists anymore).

Reaction Score

Do yourself a favor and don't ever use the phrase "rising junior" or "rising xxxxx". You should be presenting yourself as a young professional, not filling space for your "Who's Who" profile (if that even exists anymore).
I think what he is trying to do is network in the industry. Perfectly acceptable for a college student to do that and it's a great idea. People are more apt to help a college student who is not directly asking for a job but is instead looking for advice and contacts in the industry. I don't think he's specifically looking for a job from anyone here, although this is the ultimate goal of the networking.

Reaction Score
Hi All,

I'm also in consulting and would be happy to chat. Feel free to PM me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do yourself a favor and don't ever use the phrase "rising junior" or "rising xxxxx".

He was being descriptive and doing so with the appropriate terminology.

He was accurately describing his situation - he is entering his junior year. That's something that anyone offering assistance would want to know.

Reaction Score

How do 4 people like this smug post offering nothing but criticism of a kid brainstorming for ideas?! And he didn't offer his consultation services (as you imply), he asked for advice.
My constructive criticism is read the post thoughtfully and offer something productive if you can't stop yourself from critiquing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He was being descriptive and doing so with the appropriate terminology.

He was accurately describing his situation - he is entering his junior year. That's something that anyone offering assistance would want to know.

"Junior"? Yes. Provides context. "Rising junior"? No. Fluff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How do 4 people like this smug post offering nothing but criticism of a kid brainstorming for ideas?! And he didn't offer his consultation services (as you imply), he asked for advice.
My constructive criticism is read the post thoughtfully and offer something productive if you can't stop yourself from critiquing.

Because if you can't present yourself as a professional you don't get in to the career field.

I switched jobs and was sitting through a new employee orientation this morning. 6-8 of the new hires were fresh 2018 college grads. Grads in engineering, science and math. All well spoken and none used any language remotely approaching "rising" to inflate their profile.

Going in to creative writing or marketing? Sure, break out the thesaurus.

You want to go big time, top of the line consulting firms as he listed? Step up your game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"Rising Junior" is the term you use when you are not taking classes yet, or just started. Get off your high horse, man. He's not a "young professional"-- he doesn't have a degree yet. He is a RISING JUNIOR looking for advice.

Wrong. Looks and sounds like it's compensating.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Looks and sounds like it's compensating.

Nope. You're wrong.

My wife is a recruiter; this language is standard - and needed - operating procedure when students are looking for jobs.

@UCFan1513 I know some people in the consulting field. Based on what they've told me, my advice to you is to look carefully into each firm as each has a distinct culture. Make sure it's a fit for you and make sure you understand what is expected of you in your first year.

Be aggressive in contacting them, don't be afraid to email their HR or recruiting people directly. Ask them about their recruiting procedures etc.

Many have summer internship programs for rising seniors and that's how they find and identify talent.

I hope you consider staying in the Southeast; Atlanta is a great place to live!

Reaction Score
You forgot to state your major.

pm me.

Basics - the old 'big 8' like accounting degrees. and MBAs. McK / Bain / BCG want ivy MBAs. Engineering undergrad is also nice.

Reaction Score
Because if you can't present yourself as a professional you don't get in to the career field.

I switched jobs and was sitting through a new employee orientation this morning. 6-8 of the new hires were fresh 2018 college grads. Grads in engineering, science and math. All well spoken and none used any language remotely approaching "rising" to inflate their profile.

Going in to creative writing or marketing? Sure, break out the thesaurus.

You want to go big time, top of the line consulting firms as he listed? Step up your game.
Um, he's only half way through college. Not a graduate. And "rising" just means you're about to start your junior year. Used all the time. I'm not sure what the issue is for using that word.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
HAHAHA I'm amazed that anyone was able to take anything negative from or criticize this post. Incredible.
Good work @Chin Diesel.

FYI, "rising junior" is a pretty common term. I applied for multiple internships where the specific point I was at in college was important. They cared whether I had just finished my sophomore year, etc.

Some schools are not back in session yet, so it's important to differentiate being a rising junior from someone who just finished junior year and hasn't started senior year yet.

I really don't get your point, it sounds like you are just trying to be a pompous jerk behind a keyboard talking down to someone in college...

C

Chief00

Good luck young man. I know one of the partners at Boston Consulting but work your way up to that - don’t start with it. Get in touch your senior year after exploring these other opportunities and learnings.
Chief

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm winding down my career as a 28 year civil servant and haven't seriously looked outside my organization for over two decades, but I have heard (maybe others with more practical experience can confirm) that LinkedIn can be really important for developing contacts and having people validate your skills to help things along. It's always good if your name can come up in a search, and LinkedIn will help there too.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
Hi All,

PM if you like. My daughter is an older peer group member of yours. She is 27. Has worked for Booz Allen Hamilton and now with NASA in DC. She networked her butt off and used the term "rising" liberally as an undergrad. Networking helped her immensely and she will "help a Husky" for sure.

GenericPizza

Formerly Blaze
Reaction Score
So well said, coming from someone in the consulting world.

Also, UCFan, you shouldn’t tell people you go to a small school in the southeast. The southeast is notoriously stupid with very bad pizza. Say you go to Yale, which is in the Northeast which is notoriously smart with very good pizza. This will make you look more professional, and only then will ppl take you seriously. It’s all about clout

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I recommend use of the term “mojo rising junior” instead.

It will make you stand out and give them something to remember you by.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I recommend use of the term “mojo rising junior” instead.

It will make you stand out and give them something to remember you by.

In the alternative you may wish to create an anagram of your own name to reference yourself in the 3rd person.

Hey - @Chief00 could repeatedly sing "ICE H00F" in a song with a lyric "Boneyard poster, sunny afternoon..." but I digress...

I could just be grieving the loss of dear Chin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom