OT: congrats to Stacy Lewis....a 'no brainer' captain's pick??? | The Boneyard

OT: congrats to Stacy Lewis....a 'no brainer' captain's pick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://www.golf.com/ap-news/michelle-wie-added-solheim-cup-team-captains-pick

Stacy Lewis finished birdie/birdie to win the British Open...stopping a 10 major run of
international wins. Best American player by quite a lot.

Solheim Cup in Colorado Aug.16-18...Michelle Wie got one of the 2
captain's picks...Meg Mallon says it is a 'no brainer'. She wants Wie's
explosiveness on the team but her record has been mediocre [at best] the past 2 years.
She may well play great for those 3 days but...imo...it is hardly a no brainer. Michelle
has been given a lot over her career....some would argue [me included] that those gifts
haven't always led to a more determined and successful player.

Go USA!

Automatic qualifier Lexi Thompson is youngest American ever on the team...won the 2008 USGA Jr. Girls right here in Hartford.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
http://www.golf.com/ap-news/michelle-wie-added-solheim-cup-team-captains-pick

Stacy Lewis finished birdie/birdie to win the British Open...stopping a 10 major run of
international wins. Best American player by quite a lot.

Solheim Cup in Colorado Aug.16-18...Michelle Wie got one of the 2
captain's picks...Meg Mallon says it is a 'no brainer'. She wants Wie's
explosiveness on the team but her record has been mediocre [at best] the past 2 years.
She may well play great for those 3 days but...imo...it is hardly a no brainer. Michelle
has been given a lot over her career....some would argue [me included] that those gifts
haven't always led to a more determined and successful player.

Go USA!

Automatic qualifier Lexi Thompson is youngest American ever on the team...won the 2008 USGA Jr. Girls right here in Hartford.

Michelle Wie has no credentials to support her selection. There are a half-dozen young American players who are ahead of Wie on the money list, on scoring average, on driving accuracy, and other key stats. Plus -- her putting has been a nightmare for the past 3-4 years. (Hot putters are the key to winning Solheim matches.)

I am personally sick and tired of the publicity and fawning press Michelle continues to receive from both TV and print media. She was a star at age14-16. She is a "has been" now who still thinks she is playing well when she is 6 over par. I have to wonder how much pressure NIKE puts on both the TV and magazine press to "feature" Michelle because they are still paying her gobs of money on the long term big dollar contract that NIKE signed with Michelle when she was a young teen.

This is a terrible captain's pick. Meg Mallon should be embarrassed by her failure to reward younger talents who are playing better than Michelle at this time. Ugh.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"No brainer" is an apt description.... of Meg Mallon.

I suspect the networks and Nike played a major role in this.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
"No brainer" is an apt description.... of Meg Mallon.

I suspect the networks and Nike played a major role in this.

I "suspect" you are right regarding NIKE. If true, It is a sad day for golf. And, also sadly, a typical day for NIKE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom