OT - Cable WiFi | The Boneyard

OT - Cable WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those of you who are cable customers, you may be unaware but there is a partnership between a select number of cable companies that allows you to use WiFi hotspots located throughout the country for no additional charge. Check out CableWiFi.com for more information. I'm not sure how many hotspots surround Rentschler Field, but I'm sure there must be some and this could help to save on some data usage during game day.

AT&T customers, well you're @ssed out.

Reaction Score
For those of you who are cable customers, you may be unaware but there is a partnership between a select number of cable companies that allows you to use WiFi hotspots located throughout the country for no additional charge. Check out CableWiFi.com for more information. I'm not sure how many hotspots surround Rentschler Field, but I'm sure there must be some and this could help to save on some data usage during game day.

ATT&T has those as well. Its what I used when I was at the Poconnos last year during the UConn/UMD football game.

Reaction Score
Not quite exactly the same thing. These are pole mounted units, not what are considered to be hospitality hot spots which are located inside businesses and facilities (what AT&T has). Also, if you are a customer of a participating provider then you will be able to use the other participants hot spots as well. You need to use your service provider credentials to get on them.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Here's a weird work around. Several local bars post their full wifi log-in for customers. You can use that too when roaming.

Reaction Score
That is another option as well. I was thinking more for those of us who use our phones with HDMI outputs to view pregames on our TV's and stuff while tailgating. Last year I burnt up a TON of data while watching the men's team beat up on Michigan State. Had this service been out last year it wouldn't have been an issue. It looks like Comcast either hasn't fully deployed their hot spots yet, or they just aren't putting that many out there. Their coverage area is nothing like that which Cox has put out. I do not know what the coverage agreement is between providers.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/news/2013/06/cable-show-cable-wifi-alliance-tops-150000-hotspots

Reaction Score
Another option guys, if ur not strapped for cash and swing a little over $100, is get a blu-ray player with WiFi. U can actually go online thru that. I'm going to test out my LG player and get back to u to see how it works out.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'm thinking of just bringing my laptop to a game this year... using the ESPN3 to watch College Gameday. Anyone else tried this in the lot at The Rent? Always wondered if there was free wi-fi at the stadium?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of just bringing my laptop to a game this year... using the ESPN3 to watch College Gameday. Anyone else tried this in the lot at The Rent? Always wondered if there was free wi-fi at the stadium?

Yes but you are on your own for connectivity (or at least previously).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Very little bandwidth available at the stadium. I have a Verizon 4g jetpak. Was going to give it a shot but have feeling it's same network and won't be much faster.

Reaction Score
Holy hijacked thread. This cable Wi-Fi is an alternative method for cable customers to allow you to not have to use your cell phones data. That's the idea. If you don't have cable and have AT&T go to a Starbucks and P!$$ off.

Actually, since using it I have been able to drop my shared data on VZW from 2g to 1g. That saved me 10 bucks a month. I know that stat will interest some of the frugal parties on the BY.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Looks like there is a Comcast hotspot right on Silver Ln & Whitney by The Rent.

Reaction Score
I typically tailgate over at Silvas, but it looks like the closest one is down last Burger King. Cox, my provider, sends to have way more units deployed. I wonder if Comcast hasn't out all theirs our yet.

Reaction Score
Very little bandwidth available at the stadium. I have a Verizon 4g jetpak. Was going to give it a shot but have feeling it's same network and won't be much faster.

I usually stream my watchEspn app on my vzw IPad while tailgating. This year we will be using an HDMI cable to hook up a 40" flatscreen too. I work for VZW corporate so my IPad has unlimited data tho. You eill run through 2gb per game easily!

Technology is awesomr

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I usually stream my watchEspn app on my vzw IPad while tailgating. This year we will be using an HDMI cable to hook up a 40" flatscreen too. I work for VZW corporate so my IPad has unlimited data tho. You eill run through 2gb per game easily!

Technology is awesomr

Yeah your company screwed a lot of people with 2GB. Rejoice.

Reaction Score

haha there is no screwing involved. if you expect Verizon to subsidize your device cost and use its expensive, best in class network, pay for what you use. Same with ATT, but with some minor network differences...

If you want unlimited data, go to another company that advertises it. BUT, deal with the fact that that company cuts corners, either with its network quality/reliability/repair and customer support quality(SPRINT) or with its coverage limitations and gimmicks/throttling(TMOBILE).

You have free will, so feel free to excercise it...

Reaction Score

haha there is no screwing involved. if you expect Verizon to subsidize your device cost and use its expensive, best in class network, pay for what you use. Same with ATT, but with some minor network differences...

If you want unlimited data, go to another company that advertises it. BUT, deal with the fact that that company cuts corners, either with its network quality/reliability/repair and customer support quality(SPRINT) or with its coverage limitations and gimmicks/throttling(TMOBILE).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So now, how do we parlay this info into watching the Basketball game vs Maryland at the Barclays Center before the Football game that night?

Reaction Score
So now, how do we parlay this info into watching the Basketball game vs Maryland at the Barclays Center before the Football game that night?

Come over to the gray lot, we will have it on the flatscreen!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Come over to the gray lot, we will have it on the flatscreen!

Or you can PM me and we can have it on in the Blue Lot too...:D

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well I have been with Verizon since 2000. Others who have been with them a shorter time have unlimited available to them because of when they converted to smartphones. Doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense to me - but you are right I should change but they are lucky I'm lazy.

Reaction Score
Just following up on this convo as the hoops game is on espn2 before Friday's game vs Louisville. Anyone pickup a signal from Comcast or Optimum in range of the Rent? OTA TV would seem to be a waste unless you like the evening news.

Reaction Score
Optimum isnt in EH, thats Comcast territory. However, im pretty certain that they reciprocate on the WiFi Hotspots. Last I checked, there weren't any in the area of Rentschler Field. Check out cablewifi.com for a coverage map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom