OT: Buzz to VT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Buzz to VT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech is a career killer. Buzz probably realized that another year like this one and he was out.

I don't get the hostility to the Big East. It is a big step up from our league.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech is a career killer. Buzz probably realized that another year like this one and he was out.

LMAO sure. He was making the second-most cash of ANY private-school coach in the country, had a long-term deal and good success. He hated the old AD, but the fans had no issues with him. .

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Didn't you guys know? The Big East has the 4th best RPI, so they are the 4th best conference if not better. That's why their 3rd best team was in a play-in game. Where they proved to not even be worthy of that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am not much of a Buzz Williams fan anyway, and I think Marquette can do better. Williams has brought in some good players, but a few of them, like Darius Johnson Odom, Jae Crowder, and Jamil Wilson, did not seem to reach their potential. Johnson Odom in particular was one of the nastiest guards I can remember as a Junior, and he never really took it to the next level.

I didn't like Williams in end of game situations either.

If I was a Marquette fan, i would be overwhelmingly indifferent about this development.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Will Nelson be rooting for Villanova tomorrow?

NO WAY MAN!!! AAC ALL THE WAY!!!!

I am rooting for ECU, Tulane, UCF, USF and Houston to be playing in the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I am not much of a Buzz Williams fan anyway, and I think Marquette can do better. Williams has brought in some good players, but a few of them, like Darius Johnson Odom, Jae Crowder, and Jamil Wilson, did not seem to reach their potential. Johnson Odom in particular was one of the nastiest guards I can remember as a Junior, and he never really took it to the next level.

I didn't like Williams in end of game situations either.

If I was a Marquette fan, i would be overwhelmingly indifferent about this development.

I feel like this entire post is way off base. Williams made a living on getting the most out of his players and no one played harder. Out of the three guys you mentioned, two were JUCO's and the other was a transfer. That doesn't sound to me like a guy who brings in good players but doesn't get a lot out of them. Seems like it is actually the opposite....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I feel like this entire post is way off base. Williams made a living on getting the most out of his players and no one played harder. Out of the three guys you mentioned, two were JUCO's and the other was a transfer. That doesn't sound to me like a guy who brings in good players but doesn't get a lot out of them. Seems like it is actually the opposite....

Coaches don't have to be the greatest coach in the history of coaches or completely suck. There is a lot of middle ground. Williams was definitely in the fat part of the bell curve as a coach. He was a hard worker and his players played hard. I think his teams tightened up at the end of games, and he was a bad end of game coach.

I don't know what being a JUCO has to do with it. Johnson Odom was nasty, and should have been a quality NBA back up instead of some guy who has just been able to scrape out a few 10 day contracts. A better coach would have gotten him to that level.

Reaction Score
so it begins...the big east and AAC will never be able to keep their coaches away from P5 schools. What happens in a couple years when the SEC is getting $50M a year more in TV money? Tennessee can afford to pay their hoops coach $5M per without blinking, so can Miss St or Arkansas. Why would anyone want to coach Memphis or Providence or Villanova or St Johns? Or UConn...when they can get more money than their current schools athletic departments get in total from TV. the separation of the have's from the have not's will never be greater. If the NBA decides to keep kids in school longer, then it will really be over for the mid-majors as their advantage of having 22 year-olds playing 18-19 year olds will be lessened.

I'd like to think Ollie is a lifer at Uconn, but if UCLA comes calling with $5M per, how can he turn that down? and uconn certainly cannot match. this isn't jay wright asking for $2.3M to match, its more than twice that

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
so it begins...the big east and AAC will never be able to keep their coaches away from P5 schools. What happens in a couple years when the SEC is getting $50M a year more in TV money? Tennessee can afford to pay their hoops coach $5M per without blinking, so can Miss St or Arkansas. Why would anyone want to coach Memphis or Providence or Villanova or St Johns? Or UConn...when they can get more money than their current schools athletic departments get in total from TV. the separation of the have's from the have not's will never be greater. If the NBA decides to keep kids in school longer, then it will really be over for the mid-majors as their advantage of having 22 year-olds playing 18-19 year olds will be lessened.

I'd like to think Ollie is a lifer at Uconn, but if UCLA comes calling with $5M per, how can he turn that down? and uconn certainly cannot match. this isn't jay wright asking for $2.3M to match, its more than twice that

I don't see any SEC except Kentucky paying more than $3MM/year for their coach. Marquette gets $5MM a year from Fox, so they can hang with most schools when it comes to comp. Williams just wanted to leave. It happens.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Guess coaching in the old BE and the new BE proved too difficult
Go to the ACC where you get the hype but not the competition.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Another thing I will say about Williams is that his exit has been totally classless. The leak of the rationale for him leaving had to come from his agent. If he wants another job, he should just go take the other job. He doesn't need to crap on his last one on the way out.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I don't see any SEC except Kentucky paying more than $3MM/year for their coach. Marquette gets $5MM a year from Fox, so they can hang with most schools when it comes to comp. Williams just wanted to leave. It happens.
He wanted to leave because they are on FS1 and nobody watches their games and its more difficult to recruit because of that. Tough day for your league, Nelson.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He wanted to leave because they are on FS1 and nobody watches their games and its more difficult to recruit because of that. Tough day for your league, Nelson.

i didnt realize you were such an acc fan.

Reaction Score
Another thing I will say about Williams is that his exit has been totally classless. The leak of the rationale for him leaving had to come from his agent. If he wants another job, he should just go take the other job. He doesn't need to crap on his last one on the way out.
I will agree with you on this. Buzz never really had much class. What about that tango he did midcourt in West Virginia? Comical, but classless. Anyway, schools like Marquette need guys like Buzz. I am sure the administration is happy but I doubt the players and most fans share that sentiment.

Reaction Score
It's not, though. Neither conference is great right now, and neither ever will be.
I don't get all the Big East hate either. What they did was a smart move of survival. I can see why we don't like it, but those schools had no other choice. They weren't going to a P5, so they had to hang on to what they had, wounded as it is.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Just now he was on CBS...Buzz totally dodged the question of why he left Marquette, but he made sure to mention the challenge of getting to coach in the best conference in the country.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Vtech is one of the toughest jobs in the country. They play in a tough conference, but have no natural recruiting area. Maryland, Virginia and Georgetown are the local schools for DC, so VTech competes with everyone else for the leftovers. Two of the top programs in college basketball are within 300 miles or so, and Wake and NCSU are ahead of VPI for any second tier NC players. VPI basically gets to slug it out with VCU and Richmond for southern virginia players that don't get recruited by national programs.

Shaka Smart wouldn't touch this job.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this a great big flashing sign that a bad job in the P5 is better than a good job outside of it.

Reaction Score
Vtech is one of the toughest jobs in the country. They play in a tough conference, but have no natural recruiting area. Maryland, Virginia and Georgetown are the local schools for DC, so VTech competes with everyone else for the leftovers. Two of the top programs in college basketball are within 300 miles or so, and Wake and NCSU are ahead of VPI for any second tier NC players. VPI basically gets to slug it out with VCU and Richmond for southern virginia players that don't get recruited by national programs.

Shaka Smart wouldn't touch this job.

Shaka Smart wouldn't touch UCLA or Illionois either. I wouldn't consider a job to be viable based on what Shaka Smart would do. It looks like Buzz was desperate to get out of Marquette for probably the worst or 2nd worst program in the ACC, because he had a lot more options in the past few ye

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this a great big flashing sign that a bad job in the P5 is better than a good job outside of it.

There are still people who believe in the AAC.

I'm not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer