OT but not really - Quentin Grimes - KU transfer to Houston - Playing this year | The Boneyard

OT but not really - Quentin Grimes - KU transfer to Houston - Playing this year

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how this kid played all 36 games last year for Kansas (1 of 3 to start every game for them) transfers to Houston and can play immediately, while RJ Cole has to sit out this year? I am really curious.

I understand he received a waiver, but why exactly? What gives? How does one receive a waiver and others don't?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how this kid played all 36 games last year for Kansas (1 of 3 to start every game for them) transfers to Houston and can play immediately, while RJ Cole has to sit out this year? I am really curious.

I understand he received a waiver, but why exactly? What gives? How does one receive a waiver and others don't?
We didn’t pursue a waiver for Cole. Save him for 2 seasons without AG there

Reaction Score

They never give an official reason, but the assumption is that since he declared and Kansas filled his scholarship while he was testing the waters, he was “forced” to leave Kansas and therefore eligible elsewhere.

Reaction Score
We didn’t pursue a waiver for Cole. Save him for 2 seasons without AG there
Wouldn't you want him to play along side AG in year 1? I would. Not sure why they didn't pursue a waiver.

Reaction Score
They never give an official reason, but the assumption is that since he declared and Kansas filled his scholarship while he was testing the waters, he was “forced” to leave Kansas and therefore eligible elsewhere.
That is such a joke of a reason if true. There needs to be guidelines and not some subjective thought that warrants some the waiver and others not. All too often in football, they never go through. Apparently basketball is different?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you want him to play along side AG in year 1? I would. Not sure why they didn't pursue a waiver.
i remember hearing that RJ Cole wanted to sit out this year and practice against a high D1 team, like UConn. Dunno if it’s true or not

Reaction Score
i remember hearing that RJ Cole wanted to sit out this year and practice against a high D1 team, like UConn. Dunno if it’s true or not
Where did you hear that from? He's going to be practicing against them all year anyway. He looked pretty good against Georgetown in the video someone posted in another thread. Why wouldn't a kid want to play right away?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Staff was expecting much better from Al and Gaffney. If they knew how they’d look they would have pursued a waiver. His coach left so it would have been almost a sure thing.

Reaction Score
Staff was expecting much better from Al and Gaffney. If they knew how they’d look they would have pursued a waiver. His coach left so it would have been almost a sure thing.
But why not pursue it and see what happens then make your decision? I don't have any knowledge on how these things work which is why I'm asking. He could have been a key piece to this team and possibly help them be 16-2 and not 10-8.

Reaction Score
But why not pursue it and see what happens then make your decision? I don't have any knowledge on how these things work which is why I'm asking. He could have been a key piece to this team and possibly help them be 16-2 and not 10-8.
Because they expected Gilbert to be our best player and didn’t want to waste a year of Cole’s eligibility splitting time with Gilbert. If he got a waiver, there would have been no going back to the redshirt. Hindsight is 20/20, but nobody saw this coming from Gilbert.

Reaction Score

I think it was a smart move to redshirt Cole. We're trying to win championships here not just make the tournament. We might have an elite roster in two years with Cole leading the way.

Reaction Score
Because they expected Gilbert to be our best player and didn’t want to waste a year of Cole’s eligibility splitting time with Gilbert. If he got a waiver, there would have been no going back to the redshirt. Hindsight is 20/20, but nobody saw this coming from Gilbert.
So I ask you then, UConn was at it's best with two lead guards, I don't see Vital that way. But a three guard lineup wouldn't hurt. Cole, Gilbert, Vital, Akok and Carlton (I prefer more Whaley, but that's me). Would you think a line up like this gives this team a better chance to win? Putting your trust in a true freshman such as Gaffney is not wise IMO. He shows flashes, but the kid cannot handle the basketball nearly as well as AG. Gilbert tries to do too much sometimes, but you can't knock him for trying to make a play for his team. Gaffney has no shake, shimmy, razzle dazzle, whatever you want to call it. I like his potential, but he had a huge turnover last night in the corner because he literally couldn't dribble the basketball. He nearly lost it 3 times on the same possession.

Reaction Score
So I ask you then, UConn was at it's best with two lead guards, I don't see Vital that way. But a three guard lineup wouldn't hurt. Cole, Gilbert, Vital, Akok and Carlton (I prefer more Whaley, but that's me). Would you think a line up like this gives this team a better chance to win? Putting your trust in a true freshman such as Gaffney is not wise IMO. He shows flashes, but the kid cannot handle the basketball nearly as well as AG. Gilbert tries to do too much sometimes, but you can't knock him for trying to make a play for his team. Gaffney has no shake, shimmy, razzle dazzle, whatever you want to call it. I like his potential, but he had a huge turnover last night in the corner because he literally couldn't dribble the basketball. He nearly lost it 3 times on the same possession.
My honest belief is that Hurley is building for the “big” turnaround year to be next year. In terms of having his ideal roster i mean. He is still
Implementing culture and trying to win this year. But it’s pretty clear to me the big roster changes and moves are being set for next year

Reaction Score
My honest belief is that Hurley is building for the “big” turnaround year to be next year. In terms of having his ideal roster i mean. He is still
Implementing culture and trying to win this year. But it’s pretty clear to me the big roster changes and moves are being set for next year
That's a fair thought. Especially with Springs reclassifying and sitting out along with Cole. I think he believes Al will be back.

Reaction Score
It is. Cole made it known if he came here he was going to sit out the year and practice, learn the system, and participate in the S and C program. If Hurley wanted to pursue the waiver he wasn't coming here. That simple.

Reaction Score
It is. Cole made it known if he came here he was going to sit out the year and practice, learn the system, and participate in the S and C program. If Hurley wanted to pursue the waiver he wasn't coming here. That simple.
I hadn't seen nor heard this so thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom