OT- Brittney Griner NBA | The Boneyard

OT- Brittney Griner NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I turn on espn getting ready for the UConn game and the panel is talking about if Griner could make the NBA and how she would do. Kara Lawson and one of the other panelists made it sound as if they thought she could maybe do it but she probably shouldn't because she would make more money in women's basketball. Griner thinks she can do it and sounds like she wants to go to the Dallas summer league. I swear all of this was said and they said it with a straight face, the levels of delusion was hard to believe. I'm also thinking of trying out for the NBA this summer, are any other boneyarders interested in joining me?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Mark Cuban's just messing with ESPN to get in the news. There's no way he's serious about this.

Reaction Score
So I turn on espn getting ready for the UConn game and the panel is talking about if Griner could make the NBA and how she would do. Kara Lawson and one of the other panelists made it sound as if they thought she could maybe do it but she probably shouldn't because she would make more money in women's basketball. Griner thinks she can do it and sounds like she wants to go to the Dallas summer league. I swear all of this was said and they said it with a straight face, the levels of delusion was hard to believe. I'm also thinking of trying out for the NBA this summer, are any other boneyarders interested in joining me?

Someday it could be possible to see a woman in a sports league who can perform in limited doses as a gimmick. Maybe a knuckleball pitcher, or a kicker who is freakishly automatic from 40 yards and in, as long as the punter could handle long kicks and kickoffs. Griner, no. As soon as you talk about needing to match up with men with strength and athleticism, as a post player needs to do, it is over. World records for sprints and jumps show you how far apart the genders are.

In a world with no women's sports, Maya Moore could have been a player deep on the bench for a MAAC team. Or Mosqueda-Lewis could have been a spot up shooter you hide on defense at the MAAC/Ivy level. But the NBA is another stratosphere.

Reaction Score
Mark Cuban's just messing with ESPN to get in the news. There's no way he's serious about this.

The worst part about it is Griner's pretty clearly messing with the media too.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine those people on espn don't actually believe a word they said and think by saying such ridiculous things they are actually furthering the women's game, that's kind of sad to me. I hope for Griner's sake that she isn't this delusional, she couldn't play D1 men's, Maya Moore couldn't have played in the MAAC either.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine those people on espn don't actually believe a word they said and think by saying such ridiculous things they are actually furthering the women's game, that's kind of sad to me. I hope for Griner's sake that she isn't this delusional, she couldn't play D1 men's, Maya Moore couldn't have played in the MAAC either.

Sure she could - deep on the bench. Have you seen the deep bench of MAAC teams? Slow 5-9 white kids, guys who only have one arm, etc.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sure she could - deep on the bench. Have you seen the deep bench of MAAC teams? Slow 5-9 white kids, guys who only have one arm, etc.

I guarantee you those kids would run circles around her.

It's just physiology. You see a kid that's 5'9" slow and unathletic and say she could play over them.

Newsflash, they look and unathletic because they are going up against legitimate D1 college basketball players.

Have you seen the womens game? It's like they run with cement in their shoes.

Women's hoops is fine.
Men's hoops is fine.

Just stop trying to compare the two. This comparision doesnt happen in any other sport and it boggles my mind why it's just hoops.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Moronic. Niels Giffey is ten times the player Griner could ever be. Same height. Faster, stronger, better defender, leaper, shooter, passer. Is anybody expecting him to make the NBA? He'd score 40 a game and block a dozen shots a game playing against the women.

Reaction Score
I hope you are joking here, if not you are completely clueless. She couldn't play on a MAAC team, my buddy was a very good D3 player and he was coaching a high school team a couple of years removed from college and Taurasi came to his school to meet with the kids right after she graduated UConn. I asked him if he could beat Taurasi and he said yes, he isn't one to brag at all or use hyperbole. Saying scholarship men's players at MAAC schools suck just shows a total lack of knowledge on the subject, any guy playing D1 is really freaking good. Meanwhile our lady Huskies look awesome right now!

Reaction Score
Dwight Howard could breathe on her and she would fall over. This is just Mark Cuban being Mark Cuban.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart is going to be at UConn for another 3 years, can you already give Geno 3 more titles?

Reaction Score
Someday it could be possible to see a woman in a sports league who can perform in limited doses as a gimmick. Maybe a knuckleball pitcher, or a kicker who is freakishly automatic from 40 yards and in, as long as the punter could handle long kicks and kickoffs. Griner, no. As soon as you talk about needing to match up with men with strength and athleticism, as a post player needs to do, it is over. World records for sprints and jumps show you how far apart the genders are.

In a world with no women's sports, Maya Moore could have been a player deep on the bench for a MAAC team. Or Mosqueda-Lewis could have been a spot up shooter you hide on defense at the MAAC/Ivy level. But the NBA is another stratosphere.
BINGO.

Reaction Score
I hope you are joking here, if not you are completely clueless. She couldn't play on a MAAC team, my buddy was a very good D3 player and he was coaching a high school team a couple of years removed from college and Taurasi came to his school to meet with the kids right after she graduated UConn. I asked him if he could beat Taurasi and he said yes, he isn't one to brag at all or use hyperbole. Saying scholarship men's players at MAAC schools suck just shows a total lack of knowledge on the subject, any guy playing D1 is really freaking good. Meanwhile our lady Huskies look awesome right now!

I was a Division I walkon in the Patriot League. I've probably watched more low level DI hoops than anyone on this board. I've seen bench guys at that level who could only dream of touching the rim, much less dunking (which Moore could do, but not reliably enough to do it in a game). She would have exactly no chance of playing significant minutes. But there was a MAAC scholarship player recently who only had one arm. Sure it was mostly a gimmick and a feel-good story, but he had as many scholarships as he had arms. Maya Moore in a world without women's hoops could have been a similar gimmick/feel good story who could play garbage time - or maybe knock down some jumpers against a zone up by 20, but who wouldn't sniff the serious rotation.

As for athleticism, I wish I elevated on my jumper as well as Maya does. I'm 6-3 and I guarantee she gets the ball off quicker and with a higher release point than I ever did. But I had a low ceiling athletically - Patriot League walkon was about as good as I was going to get. Which would essentially be about as much as one of the most gifted women's players ever could do. Not sure why that's a threat to anyone's manhood.

There is a difference between saying an entire team of women could take on a men's team, which is ridiculous, and saying perhaps the most skilled athlete in the sport's history could be out there in very limited minutes at a low level with four better athletes to cover for her, where she doesn't have to do anything but spot up or hide in a zone/sag off a player who can't shoot in garbage time. That's plausible, but fortunately we have opportunities for women where they can actually play and not be a little-used towel waver.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between saying an entire team of women could take on a men's team, which is ridiculous, and saying perhaps the most skilled athlete in the sport's history could be out there in very limited minutes at a low level with four better athletes to cover for her, where she doesn't have to do anything but spot up or hide in a zone/sag off a player who can't shoot in garbage time.[/quote]Why whenever someone is realistic about the men's and women's game, someone says something about having your manhood challenged? I was a decent athlete but was never really too good at basketball, I have no problem admitting that all of these girls would kick my ass in hoops. I also have no problem saying none of them could play D1 men's basketball, why is that so hard for some to accept? Gurleyman when exactly did you play D1 basketball? I find it impossible to believe that you had players on your team that could only dream about touching the rim. I also watch tons of low level D1 and high school hoops and this just seems to be a ridiculous to me. Are you by any chance in your 60's or 70's?

Reaction Score
There is a difference between saying an entire team of women could take on a men's team, which is ridiculous, and saying perhaps the most skilled athlete in the sport's history could be out there in very limited minutes at a low level with four better athletes to cover for her, where she doesn't have to do anything but spot up or hide in a zone/sag off a player who can't shoot in garbage time.
Why whenever someone is realistic about the men's and women's game, someone says something about having your manhood challenged? I was a decent athlete but was never really too good at basketball, I have no problem admitting that all of these girls would kick my ass in hoops. I also have no problem saying none of them could play D1 men's basketball, why is that so hard for some to accept? Gurleyman when exactly did you play D1 basketball? I find it impossible to believe that you had players on your team that could only dream about touching the rim. I also watch tons of low level D1 and high school hoops and this just seems to be a ridiculous to me. Are you by any chance in your 60's or 70's?[/quote]

Seriously though....I was a pretty good HS player and could dunk pretty easily. There was no way I would make a D1 team, unless I went to a small crappy school and possibly walked on, or went the CC route with a couple years of intense training to earn a scholly somewhere, then maybe, but still probably no.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between saying an entire team of women could take on a men's team, which is ridiculous, and saying perhaps the most skilled athlete in the sport's history could be out there in very limited minutes at a low level with four better athletes to cover for her, where she doesn't have to do anything but spot up or hide in a zone/sag off a player who can't shoot in garbage time.
Why whenever someone is realistic about the men's and women's game, someone says something about having your manhood challenged? I was a decent athlete but was never really too good at basketball, I have no problem admitting that all of these girls would kick my ass in hoops. I also have no problem saying none of them could play D1 men's basketball, why is that so hard for some to accept? Gurleyman when exactly did you play D1 basketball? I find it impossible to believe that you had players on your team that could only dream about touching the rim. I also watch tons of low level D1 and high school hoops and this just seems to be a ridiculous to me. Are you by any chance in your 60's or 70's?[/quote]

Sorry - the manhood crack was maybe a kneejerk reaction.

I'm 40. I never dunked. I could grab the rim, but that was it. But I wasn't terribly overmatched athletically against the "real players" on my college team - it was only Patriot League, where the only people who stood out were the ones who actually were good athletes. They were just better basketball players. I used to go toe to toe in practice with a guy who transferred and was redshirting, who dropped almost 30 on 1-seed Kansas in the NCAA Tournament his senior year. He was better than I was, no question. Much better court sense, and he had the quickest release I've ever dealt with - plus he was a gamer, whereas I frankly was not. But we were probably similar athletically. He couldn't dunk either, wasn't terribly quick, but man he could play. His name was Tucker, and there are poor men's Tuckers floating on the bottom of MAAC/NEC/Ivy rosters, not playing much, hoping to get a chance to hit a few threes, but long since having given up on the dream of someday dunking.

Maya does some things athletically that are somewhat guy-like. Primarily her jumper. I've watched her play in person elevate off curl screens - similar to the plays that we ran - and thinking that she did that better than most of the guys on my college team. But she couldn't handle average DI men athletes when it comes to foot speed or lateral quickness, never mind superior ones. Which is why, all I'm saying, is that she could be buried on a MAAC bench in a world without women's hoops, the same way a dude with one arm was.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"but he had as many scholarships as he had arms. " -Great line. I assume he couldn't go to his left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom