OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 78 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
If one uses the Belgium-Argentina game to disparage the USA-BEL result, wouldn't it be honest to positively reevaluate the USA performance based on this result?
I thought we played the Germany game right - and Portugal too (perhaps until our last sub put us out of formation, but that's a quibble that's irrelevant if we don't give away the ball).

I thought maybe we would have to come forward more against Germany around minute 83-85 if the Ghana-Portugal game stayed the way it was, just to try to clinch second place on our own and not rely on the other game. But Ronaldo got a key goal to minimize the risk of a Ghana win and we could stay content with 1-0.

The one goal was just simply well struck off an unsettled situation following a save, but other than that, Hioward had to deal with a couple tough low crosses and Klose just missed on a header when we let him slip through unmarked, but we were pretty well organized and didn't give then anything easy. Gonzalez responded very well to the start with a couple good reads.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If one uses the Belgium-Argentina game to disparage the USA-BEL result, wouldn't it be honest to positively reevaluate the USA performance based on this result?

I guess if you don't really care about honestly assessing performances
it would be a great opportunity to use the transitive property.

Reaction Score
Jimdish255 said:
Just watched Germany score something like 4 goals in 5 minutes in an ice cream parlor in southern Spain. That added about 3 more languages to the ones I already couldn't understand. That was nuts.

They could fit that many players into an ice cream parlor?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The craziest part of that Brazil game was that they didnt lose because they were missing Neymar or Silva. Germany wiped the floor with them. Couldn't believe Germany scored two more in the second half!! I'm still in shock from that game!

Reaction Score
It only answers the question of what would have happened if we didn't have Tim Howard against Belgium.

I disagree with this. I've watched enough soccer at this point to know that many goals scored, the goal keeper has essentially no chance to make the save. Goal keeper either cannot cover the entire space, or has to commit to defend something, and rely on the other defenders. Brazil team crumbled mentally and the German team methodically created goal after goal, that the Brazilian goalie had no chance to stop. Tim Howard, as was said by our american/german coach - had a job, and did it. The german goalie today, stopped the shots that he could stop too.

Reaction Score

We were one great play by a german defender away from scoring the game tying goal late against Germany. I don't remember the player names, but we had created an open net scoring chance late, and the german captain had to make a very long run and a sliding/stab play with his body to deflect the shot. I've maintained all along that we were not overmatched by any of our opponents along the way, and I stick to it. In our football, (Edsall used to talk about this all the time) you can game plan, and execute and do everything right - and when it comes down to that, the winner of the game, will always be the team, that has the players - that when in position to make the great plays, make the plays. Great players make great plays. We had open net chances against Belgium too late, that we didn't finish.

My opinion is that the US needs better goal scorers, and Klinsmann has found at least one in Julian Green. The first time the kid touched the ball in a world cup game, he put it in the net.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What Might Have Been Department: We should have had Giuseppi Rossi. The guy was born in New Jersey for cryin' out loud. Instead he chose to be snubbed twice for the World Cup by Italy. Would have fit us like a glove.
Don't forget Neven Subotic. He even played for the US U-17 and U20 before choosing Serbia. He'd have been a stalwart on our back line.

Reaction Score
All depends on the point one is trying to make and defend at every turn possible. If you're trying to say Belgiums performance against Argentina supports that the US tactics and managerial decisions were not up to par, then no, you would probably not want to use the exact same argument you just used for that game in comparing the US-Germany game. In fact, you;d probably want to discredit anyone using the US-GER performance by saying something like "I guess if you don't really care about honestly assessing performances it would be a great opportunity to use the transitive property."

Reaction Score
I've maintained all along that we were not overmatched by any of our opponents along the way, and I stick to it.
I take it that you only watched the final 10 minutes of the Belgium game then. We lost by a goal to Germany and Belgium, but let's not kid ourselves, the talent gap between those teams and what the US put on the field was not even close. IMO we are gradually closing the gap, and are playing, for the most part, a more organized game that keeps us in games even when outmatched on the talent spectrum, but there is a huge gap. I agree with you on one point though, the US needs guys who can finish, and I am cautiously optimistic Green could be that guy... time will tell but he needs meaningful minutes at the club level to continue his development. Hopefully Bayern loans him out to another club so he can get that time. I do like the direction the USMNT is heading though.

Reaction Score
I take it that you only watched the final 10 minutes of the Belgium game then. We lost by a goal to Germany and Belgium, but let's not kid ourselves, the talent gap between those teams and what the US put on the field was not even close. IMO we are gradually closing the gap, and are playing, for the most part, a more organized game that keeps us in games even when outmatched on the talent spectrum, but there is a huge gap. I agree with you on one point though, the US needs guys who can finish, and I am cautiously optimistic Green could be that guy... time will tell but he needs meaningful minutes at the club level to continue his development. Hopefully Bayern loans him out to another club so he can get that time. I do like the direction the USMNT is heading though.

You should listen to Carl, he's been a fan since June.

Reaction Score
Whose everybody got today, the Diving Dutch or the Animatedly Falling Argentinians? I'm taking South America over Europe in the one, which is good news for Holland.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Whose everybody got today, the Diving Dutch or the Animatedly Falling Argentinians? I'm taking South America over Europe in the one, which is good news for Holland.
I'd like to see Messi at least get to the Final. I'm thinking this one will be a close 1-0, or maybe 1-1, 0-0 and go to KFTM.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Argentina. I just hope my staff meeting is over by 4:00.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Messi at least get to the Final. I'm thinking this one will be a close 1-0, or maybe 1-1, 0-0 and go to KFTM.
Agree here that I'd like to see Messi get to the finals and win. He seems like a good guy and I can't imagine how much pressure he's constantly under to bring home a championship like Maradonna did.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Argentina.

I think that Argentina is the better team of the two, and I think the only way that Holland makes up the difference is by getting a stellar performance from Robben. He's certainly capable of it, but I like Argentina's chances in this one...

Reaction Score
Let's go Netherlands! I would love an all UEFA Final... Especially Germany vs. Netherlands; their head would ' explode here!

Reaction Score
What the frack, after 45 minutes of play, there are no goals? There were 3 goals in 3 minutes in yesterday’s match. LOL.

Fairly even game so far with early momentum with the Dutch and then Argentina before balancing out. Looks like the Dutch are going with hack a Messi while Argentina appears to be making-up for a questionable defense by stacking the box with a minimum of 6 players and sometimes 10 when the Orange are pushing.

Also, how on earth is Mascherano back in the game after getting hit in the head (I hate headers just for that reason) under FIFA’s new concussion policy? He looked nearly unconscious stumbling round before collapsing. Good move by the Dutch player to grab him and ease him down to avoid additional injury.

Anyone else having issues with ESPN3? Mine keeps getting stuck or the video washes out from time to time. Guess it is a bandwidth issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom