OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one? | The Boneyard

OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read an ad that talked about a getting a year's worth of razors. It was twelve. Twelve? So it has to last a month? No way.

I can go a week on a blade but that's it and the last couple of days are a little sketchy. 5 days is probably the right number.

Just curious how long people use them for before getting a new one.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I read an ad that talked about a getting a year's worth of razors. It was twelve. Twelve? So it has to last a month? No way.

I can go a week on a blade but that's it and the last couple of days are a little sketchy. 5 days is probably the right number.

Just curious how long people use them for before getting a new one.

Is this for head or face?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought about keeping track when I saw something similar a few years ago. Now, as then, I use Gillette Mach 3 ("Turbo," I think?) blades, which ain't cheap. I was doing around one a week or so and realized that I was tossing them too soon, based on the fading color strip rather than on the shave. I started using them longer and now I probably get around 10-12 days out of them. Whenever possible, I skip Sundays, too.

Reaction Score
1-2 weeks? We're talking razor blades with the little moisture strip on the top right? I obviously use the comfort of the shave as an indicator as well, but usually I don't worry about it until that strip starts to wear out. Maybe I have sturdy face skin, but I often find myself using a high quality blade cartridge for over a month before switching. I keep a trim beard, and shave some small areas of my face daily, shave the neck every few days.

While we're on topic, anybody use Harrys? I've tried them long ago, and the lack of a detailing blade made me not stick with them. Last year I noticed they now had the detail blade so I tried again, and that thing was chaffing me bad. Anyone else had this experience? Seems a lot of people use them but the discount isn't worth the razorburn to me

CL82

Reaction Score
Ok. I shave my head with blades, face with an electric.

But I will say if you get the new gillette blades that have the gel like protection both above and below the blades, those seem to last longer.
I wish I could be one of those guys who look sharp with a shaved head. If I did it people would say, oh, CL82's in chemo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wish I could be one of those guys who look sharp with a shaved a head. If I did it people would say, oh, CL82's in chemo.
Shaved my head once, in a group dare with a bunch of friends in like seventh grade. Not pretty. I don't have the skull for it.

Unfortunately, my flesh yarmulke is growing at a rate that is going to make it inevitable.

the Q

Reaction Score
I thought about keeping track when I saw something similar a few years ago. Now, as then, I use Gillette Mach 3 ("Turbo," I think?) blades, which ain't cheap. I was doing around one a week or so and realized that I was tossing them too soon, based on the fading color strip rather than on the shave. I started using them longer and now I probably get around 10-12 days out of them. Whenever possible, I skip Sundays, too.

subscribe to a site called "Brad's Deals."

they occasionally have Mach3 blades on sale.

the Q

Reaction Score
I wish I could be one of those guys who look sharp with a shaved head. If I did it people would say, oh, CL82's in chemo.

I've been shaving my head in some form since I was 3.

Took me a long time to be adventurous to trust myself with a blade for that job.

CL82

Reaction Score
I use Gillette Fusion razors and go at least a month (if not months) before changing the blade.
This amazes me how heavy is your beard? I've been using Schick Extreme 3 for Sensitive skin. I like them but like I said by the end of a week it's a little rough.

Reaction Score
1 week with that Blue strip. 2 weeks with the yellow strip.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Shave twice a week-- triple the life of your razors

I actually do that. Only shave 2 or 3 tops times a week. Just wear the shadow in between..... for no reason other than Im lazy.

but it definitely doesnt triple the life of my razor. it all works out the same in the end. Because I will go 3 days sometimes without shaving, the tougher longer beard will kill the blade after 2 or 3 shaves. Whereas if I shave daily I can get at least 5-7 shaves off a blade. So either way I get about a week a blade.

Reaction Score
I had serious problems with in grown hairs and breakouts after shaving. Finally realizing (wish it wasn't until after college) that it was the triple blades I was using. The third blade pulls and doesn't really cut.

Was getting straight razor shaves for a while which solved the issue but time and money where just too much. Switched over to single blade safety razors and using the Astra Platinums right now. I switch after 2 fulls shaves usually or until I start noticing some pull. Huge advocate for the safety razor with single quality blades. Blades are cheap enough that you can just throw out if you get one that is pulling.

Switching to a quality shaving cream (Kiehls, Art of Shaving, etc.) was also big. Additionally, I started making my own pre-shave oil as I got the ingredients from my barber shop. 2/3 mineral oil, 1/3 olive oil, and then drop some eucalyptus or lavendar oil in there.

Reaction Score
Most of us going that route don't have a choice.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I bought the Philips/Norelco OneBlade and I love it. I don't shave often (work at home) so am frequently shaggy looking. This thing does a really good job of cleaning me up. Only time I use a razor is when I want to look perfect (wedding, interview). After using the OneBlade I look like I would if I razored that morning and now it's the end of the day. I really like it.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
After a long time using the mach 3's i went to a double edge safety razor. Bought a variety pack of blades for $40 and im still using them 18 months later and swap out the blade once a week. Gillete can pound sand with their $8 blades.

Reaction Score
I use the old style safety razor for shaving, so use both sides of the blade. I usually swap blades after 4/5 shaves. I buy 100 at a time for like 15 bucks, so it's like 2 years worth of blades being that I shave every other day or so. The cartridge blades always left my face red and irritated.

Reaction Score
I have a relatively thick beard, but shave down otherwise I break out. I typically shave every other day (even though I should shave every day). I get 2 months out of Harry's, but I'm not a big fan, and it's a challenge that pushes me to the two months. After I finish the batch I bought I'll go back to Gillette and get 2+ months. I think I'm an anomaly. I just don't care about the comfort as long as the hair is gone and I'm not cut or irritated. Blades are pretty expensive and I figure I've saved hundreds of dollars over the years.

the Q

Reaction Score
After a long time using the mach 3's i went to a double edge safety razor. Bought a variety pack of blades for $40 and im still using them 18 months later and swap out the blade once a week. Gillete can pound sand with their $8 blades.

This thread is officially useless without links.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom