OT- best golf course you've played | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- best golf course you've played

Reaction Score
Teeth of the Dog.

Runner ups are mid ocean club, pinehurt #2 and kittansett

Playing torrey pines in December, for those who have played it thoughts?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kingsley Club, Kingsley, Michigan
Wannamoisett Club, RI
Silver Creek Valley, San Jose
Royal Quebec Golf Club, Quebec
D'Andrea Golf Club Sparks, Nevada
Abu Dhabi Golf Club
Terra Lago, Indio, California
Moose Run, Anchorage

Reaction Score
You can get a tee time if you stay in the hotel there too. Hotel is silly expensive though.

Do you like Edgewood or are there better courses in that area that the locals frequent? Edgewood was obviously convenient to the South Side tourists. Some great scenic holes, and the sunset there from the clubhouse made it look like the sky was on fire.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Do you like Edgewood or are there better courses in that area that the locals frequent? Edgewood was obviously convenient to the South Side tourists. Some great scenic holes, and the sunset there from the clubhouse made it look like the sky was on fire.
Love the lake views on some of the holes but the course, in my opinion, is boring, in marginal condition and wildly overpriced. Thankfully, I get to play free on occasion because of my job but would never pay $250 to play there. Old Greenwood, Grays Crossing, Coyote Moon and Incline championship course are my favorites in Tahoe.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
D'Andrea Golf Club Sparks, Nevada

Good to see my home region (Reno/Tahoe) getting love in this thread. Unfortunately D'Andrea was forced to shut down when the homeowners voted down a $28 assessment for water fees

Reaction Score
Makena Golf Course, Maui
Maybe not the best track by any means but a fun course with good scoring opportunities and amazing views. Most courses have that one signature hole, almost every hole here was a signature hole. Highly recommended if you're out there.

Old Corkscrew, Estero, Fl
Gorgeous Nicklaus course, impeccably maintained. Pretty narrow and very challenging but it's a stand alone course with no homes anywhere in site. Gorgeous course with plenty of wildlife around and fast yet consistent greens. Can find reasonable rates in Summer time. Highly recommended if you're down here in the off season.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 64
Reaction Score
Medinah #3 last year, and I get to play The Sanctuary at Castle Pines each year here in Colorado. Those are the two best I've played. Medinah is stupid long btw.

Reaction Score
Love the lake views on some of the holes but the course, in my opinion, is boring, in marginal condition and wildly overpriced. Thankfully, I get to play free on occasion because of my job but would never pay $250 to play there. Old Greenwood, Grays Crossing, Coyote Moon and Incline championship course are my favorites in Tahoe.

Yeah - lucked into being able to play it for a lot less than that. Really enjoyable place to play the once, but if it was $250 a pop, I'd probably look elsewhere.

It was in great shape, but they are using it for a celebrity tournament on TV next month, so I imagine they are working a little harder on it so it looks good on camera.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It was in great shape, but they are using it for a celebrity tournament on TV next month, so I imagine they are working a little harder on it so it looks good on camera.

Look for my boat anchored on the beach on the 17th tee box on Friday and Saturday (July 19 & 20). Four winns with a green Bimini top, a bunch of cute gals in bikinis and a couple of short chubby dudes. Always one of the best events of the year at the lake. Ray Ray is usually among the celebs playing.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Look for my boat anchored on the beach on the 17th tee box on Friday and Saturday. Four winns with a green Bimini top, a bunch of cute gals in bikinis and a couple of short chubby dudes. Always one of the best events of the year at the lake. Ray Ray is usually among the celebs playing. View attachment 3146

Now that's a party!! LOL.........have fun CA

Reaction Score
Challenging: Pinehurst NC, not the PGA course but one of the others.

Best: The Pelican Bay in Newport Beach Caifornia was real nice.

A nice little gem is the Skyline in the Berkshires. Some wonderful views on a few holes, especially in the Fall, inexpensive as well.

In my early years I played at the Island Country Club in Naples. I was scared stuff not of the alligators in the ponds but that I would knock out some windows at some of the beautiful resort homes alongside the course.

Reaction Score
Royal County Down in Northern Ireland. Followed closely by old head, Ballybunion, Lahinch. Ireland golf trips are highly recommended

Have you ever played Tralee in County Kerry? Designed by Arnold Palmer and right on the ocean. It's a great track.

Reaction Score
I'm not much of a golf guy so I don't exactly appreciate a great golf course or what makes it great but my dad has the opportunity to play Pine Valley in NJ tomorrow, the #1 golf course in the world. Haven't heard him this excited in a while, wondering if anyone here has had a chance to play it or any other really good courses that are out there.

I've never had the opportunity to play pine valley, but my father did years ago. To this day he still talks about how unbelievable the course was.

Specifically, I've heard the same story ad nauseum regarding an elevated par 3. Supposedly it is extremely elevated and if you come up short you are falling into a massive sand trap well below the green. So low in fact that you need to climb a ladder down into the pit from the green. This whole is aptly called "satan's a."

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Toughest - Oakmont near Pittsburgh
Best - Royal County Down in Newcastle, No. Ireland
Most fun - Lahinch in Kerry, Ireland
But it's so hard to single one out. Inverness, Pinehurst #2, Harbour Town, The Ocean Course at Kiawah, Pebble, Torrey South, Chanticleer in Greenville SC, Cog Hill, Congressional, Portmarnock outside of Dublin, Old Head near Cork, Ballybunion, Spanish Bay, The Homestead, Wild Dunes, there are so many great ones.

For sheer enjoyment, Keney Park with my buds 30 years ago, playing for a case of cold beer.

Reaction Score
Congressional was the best over all experience.

Cog Hill #4, (dubsdread) was the hardest.

The Mighty Skungamaug River Golf Club was where I recorded my best score.

Reaction Score
Bethpage Black/Red for me. I'm hoping to play at Cog Hill before the summer ends ....

Reaction Score
The two "best" courses I've played are Shinnecock and The Maidstone Club. Honestly Maidstone is the superior track -- prettier and more unique, just not long enough to host championship events. It's also strikingly beautiful.

Maidstone_11_12_13.jpg

images

Other great courses I've played are Hobe Sound Golf Club in Florida and Provo Golf Club (Turks and Caicos Islands).

Reaction Score
My brother in law played at St. Andrews University in Scotland on the golf team. He played tons of places including the old course over 300 times, Pebble Beach and tons of others. He took me to the one which is his favorite in the world, which is Kingsbarns in Scotland. I have to say, I can't imagine a more beautiful nor more interesting course.

http://theaposition.com/jeffwallach...-of-britain-and-ireland-kingsbarns-golf-links

Sent from my iPad

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Shinnecock, NY played it right after the open, it was incredibly hard and I'm a 4 handicap
Wolf Creek, NV played well, scored terribly......local knowledge is key due to elevation changes
Tidewater, NC not a tremendous course but it is really pretty, also had my best round ever there (69) about 10 years ago

Reaction Score
Shinnecock, NY played it right after the open, it was incredibly hard and I'm a 4 handicap
Wolf Creek, NV played well, scored terribly......local knowledge is key due to elevation changes
Tidewater, NC not a tremendous course but it is really pretty, also had my best round ever there (69) about 10 years ago

Tidewater is a very nice track......also had one of my better Myrtle rounds there at 74 with a triple at the long Par 3 over water (forgot the hole)........very nice layout Top 5 in Myrtle area.......

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
My Top 10:

Royal Dornoch - Scotland
Royal Aberdeen - Scotland
Cruden Bay - Scotland
Western Gailes - Scotland
Carnoustie - Scotland
The Ocean Course - Kiawah, SC
Troon North – Monument - Scottsdale, AZ
Prestwick - Scotland
Troon North – Pinnacle - Scottsdale, AZ
Shelter Harbor - Charlestown, RI

If the opportunity arises, don't pass up places like Tobacco Road (Pinehurst), Twisted Dune and Seaview (AC), The Orchards (South Hadley, MA), Ocean Club (Bahamas), World Woods - Pine Barrens (Brooksville, FL), Lighthouse Sound and Bayside (Ocean City, MD), Red Tail (Devens, MA), Hammock Beach (Palm Coast, FL) or Hartford, TPC River Highlands, Lake of Isles, New Haven or Yale.

Anyone play Bandon or Seastrong in Flor?

Reaction Score
My Top 10:

If the opportunity arises, don't pass up places like Tobacco Road (Pinehurst), Twisted Dune and Seaview (AC), The Orchards (South Hadley, MA), Ocean Club (Bahamas), World Woods - Pine Barrens (Brooksville, FL), Lighthouse Sound and Bayside (Ocean City, MD), Red Tail (Devens, MA), Hammock Beach (Palm Coast, FL) or Hartford, TPC River Highlands, Lake of Isles, New Haven or Yale.

New Haven is an underrated track, though I am partial to Willie Park, Jr. courses (which explains my love for Maidstone).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom