OT Best Female Athlete You Ever Saw? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Best Female Athlete You Ever Saw?

Reaction Score
Michaela Schiffrin. No sport is more challenging or dangerous than what this young lady does.
th

Second choice: Katharine Hepburn.

Reaction Score
Some great nominations here. As I'm partial to snow sports, (at least when I was younger, I've retired to the desert), here's some new names for the list:
From my perspective World Cup Nordic skiers are some of the best athletes in the world, and within that group Norwegian Therese Johaug is in a class by herself in distance events. If you ever want to destroy yourself in no time at all, go out and skate ski (freestyle) a few Kilos.
From an alpine discipline, Czech Ester Ledecka's 2 gold medals in the same Olympics in 2 different sports, (skiing/snowboarding), is for me one the most amazing performances I've ever seen. Better yet, she's remains at the top of both sports. Once you get past "sliding down a snow-covered hill on plank/s", there really isn't a great deal of crossover between the 2. Following her on social media she posts vids windsurfing, waterskiing, even swinging a tennis racket and she seems to be quite expert at all.

Reaction Score
Some great nominations here. As I'm partial to snow sports, (at least when I was younger, I've retired to the desert), here's some new names for the list:
From my perspective World Cup Nordic skiers are some of the best athletes in the world, and within that group Norwegian Therese Johaug is in a class by herself in distance events. If you ever want to destroy yourself in no time at all, go out and skate ski (freestyle) a few Kilos.
From an alpine discipline, Czech Ester Ledecka's 2 gold medals in the same Olympics in 2 different sports, (skiing/snowboarding), is for me one the most amazing performances I've ever seen. Better yet, she's remains at the top of both sports. Once you get past "sliding down a snow-covered hill on plank/s", there really isn't a great deal of crossover between the 2. Following her on social media she posts vids windsurfing, waterskiing, even swinging a tennis racket and she seems to be quite expert at all.
If you are going with Nordic skiers how can you not start with Marit Bjørgen, who has an insane 114 World cup wins, second only to the utterly ridiculous 158 that telemarker Amélie Reymond has—half again as much as the next skier, and close to 3 times what the next telemarker has. I agree that Ester Ledecka is amazing, also her face when she won the SG at Pyeongchang might be my favorite moment in sports. You could also add Ariana Tricomi (only 3 time winner of the freeride world tour, and for climbing Janja Gambret.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This question came up here a year or two ago, and I'm doubling down on Cuban volleyball player Mireya Luis.

At only 5'9", she's hands down the most spectacular leaper the sport has ever seen, and her arm swing was incredibly explosive. The unquestioned leader on a stacked Cuban squad that dominated international volleyball in the 90s.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ruffian

Love this pick. On a similar note, about twice a year I sit down and watch all of Zenyatta's races back-to-back. I don't know that I've ever seen anything more thrilling in sports than Zenyatta in full stride down the homestretch.

This one gives me chills every time:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
that vball spiker lady is clearly fake. everrone can see the p+w f135 engines strapped to her ankles. on the udder hand, not only does she fly up, but then she smashes the ball down. beyond awesome. i bet there's a vid out there where the ball bounces off of a defenders head, and then leaves the building.
i was led to believe (thanks for the brain damage, 'rents) that this was the alltimiest, greatest, 'stretch run' by an athlete not horsing around.

not sure why as i wasn't there, but i still hear aboot it every so often on the slopes. i mean, how can local boy bodie miller not be the greatest ever?
lol. i guess u had to be there for that franz klammer 'bombing the mountain' moment. sometimes i bomb the mountain, arms waving, knees buckling, and usually end up with a hard reminder to stop doing that cuz im not 12, and not made of rubber anymore.

of course, local girl joan joyce wrecked the question. never saw her either, but i do have ears.
and, i vote for katie from saybrook as number 2. now, i did meet her a few times over at walt's back then. nice lady.
katie at walts, and pauli at oscars. the two greatest at their job ever in my book.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This question came up here a year or two ago, and I'm doubling down on Cuban volleyball player Mireya Luis.

At only 5'9", she's hands down the most spectacular leaper the sport has ever seen, and her arm swing was incredibly explosive. The unquestioned leader on a stacked Cuban squad that dominated international volleyball in the 90s.

I'm not sure I remember Luis, but she looks exciting. Not to change the subject, but I recall a 5'9" men's basketball player who was also a great leaper. In the history of the NBA, he was one of the best leapers, fastest players, and greatest shooters (mostly before the advent of the 3-point shot). Plus, he was a world-class baton twirler. Norwalk's own Calvin Murphy.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I remember Luis, but she looks exciting. Not to change the subject, but I recall a 5'9" men's basketball player who was also a great leaper. In the history of the NBA, he was one of the best leapers, fastest players, and greatest shooters (mostly before the advent of the 3-point shot). Plus, he was a world-class baton twirler. Norwalk's own Calvin Murphy.

Jumpin’Johnny Green?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jumpin’Johnny Green?
With the "guide-in" shot, also known as goal-tending. He wasn't a very good shooter, but his vertical was outstanding. Murph was only 5'9". I think Johnny was about the height of David Thompson.

Reaction Score
With the "guide-in" shot, also known as goal-tending. He wasn't a very good shooter, but his vertical was outstanding. Murph was only 5'9". I think Johnny was about the height of David Thompson.
And let us not forget Mugsy Bogues.
Not a renowned leaper, but how a guy his (lack of) size could exist in the NBA is astounding.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

As a native Houstonian, I thank you for this vintage clip! Calvin Murphy was one of the most iconic Houston sports figures at the time of my earliest sports watching memories.

It's particularly weird/nostalgic to see this clip from 1975, the last season in which the Rockets played at University of Houston's Hofheinz Pavilion. That was before I can remember (I was 3), but Hofheinz served the Rockets' home court for a few years until "the Summit" opened precisely in 1975. In yet another weird twist, the Summit is now home to the Joel Osteen megachurch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a native Houstonian, I thank you for this vintage clip! Calvin Murphy was one of the most iconic Houston sports figures at the time of my earliest sports watching memories.

It's particularly weird/nostalgic to see this clip from 1975, the last season in which the Rockets played at University of Houston's Hofheinz Pavilion. That was before I can remember (I was 3), but Hofheinz served the Rockets' home court for a few years until "the Summit" opened precisely in 1975. In yet another weird twist, the Summit is now home to the Joel Osteen megachurch.
Some of us know Calvin from his time in Connecticut. The best player I ever played with or against by a large measure.

Reaction Score
Babe Didrickson Zaharias. 2 time Olympic gold medalist and dominated pro golf as well as other sports.
Overcame cancer to come back and win a major golf championship, and died a few years later from cancer.

Reaction Score
And let us not forget Mugsy Bogues.
Not a renowned leaper, but how a guy his (lack of) size could exist in the NBA is astounding.
From a Deacon fan, thanks, Stymie for remembering Muggsy. He wasn't a particularly good jumper but was simply an excellent basketball player. He was the point guard at Dunbar High in Baltimore on a team ranked #1 nationally that also featured Reggie Lewis, David Wingate and Reggie Williams.

Muggsy was the ACC's career leader in assists and steals when he graduated from Wake Forest and then played 14 seasons in the NBA, averaging more than 7 ppg and 7 assists. For a while one of his teammates was Manute Bol, some 28 inches taller.

Oh, yeah, Muggsy was/is 5'3".

I'm not sure how this got on the thread for the GOAT female athlete... I think I was inspired remembering Calvin Murphy. Oh, well.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Okay, talking seen in person.

Before her positive drug test, I would have said Marion Jones. She was PG on the '94 UNC team that beat UConn in the Elite 8 on the way to the title AND she was a multiple Olympic gold medal sprinter and won medals in long jump, too.

Now, if we're talking multi-sport, probably Gabby. If we're talking single sport, Catherine Ndereba, the greatest women's marathoner of all-time. Her or Stewie or Maya :)

Reaction Score
From a Deacon fan, thanks, Stymie for remembering Muggsy. He wasn't a particularly good jumper but was simply an excellent basketball player. He was the point guard at Dunbar High in Baltimore on a team ranked #1 nationally that also featured Reggie Lewis, David Wingate and Reggie Williams.

Muggsy was the ACC's career leader in assists and steals when he graduated from Wake Forest and then played 14 seasons in the NBA, averaging more than 7 ppg and 7 assists. For a while one of his teammates was Manute Bol, some 28 inches taller.

Oh, yeah, Muggsy was/is 5'3".

I'm not sure how this got on the thread for the GOAT female athlete... I think I was inspired remembering Calvin Murphy. Oh, well.
I remember seeing a photo of Mughsy standing next to Manute.
What a picture.

Reaction Score
After obtaining my Bachelor's in 1970 i spent a few years climbing in Yosemite. I climbed El Cap three times (different routes) and one was this route up the boldest feature of the rock - The Nose. For years the rumor mill around Camp 4 (the climber's camp) was who was finally going to free The Nose. Many of us blew a lot of smoke, then, in 1994, Lynn Hill did the unthinkable and did the first free ascent of the route in 23 hours. The second free ascent was done 11 years later and took four days! (My ascent took five days.) Here is a very short clip of her on The Nose:

Her visionary ascent wraps technical skill at the highest level, tremendous physical & mental strength, great endurance, and the ability to improvise on micro holds all into one enchilada! There are VERY few places where someone can let their concentration waver.

Reaction Score
In an effort to improve my climbing, i started taking ballet classes (also in part because my girlfriend was a dance major). I now have immense respect for the skill, strength, and art that high level dancers possess. Before Baryshnikov, there was Nureyev - and one of his partners was the legendary Margot Fonteyn. This is a brief clip from their performance of Swan Lake. Until you have spent a few years in ballet classes it's truly difficult to grok (remember this word? Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land?) how bloody difficult their performance is. They make it look like child's play. I assure you, it's not.

Reaction Score
The best female athlete I ever saw in person with my own 2 eyeballs was probably Maya. Others i.e. Stewie, DT, Sue, maybe Paige are super skilled, but not as athletic as Maya.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom