OT: Beach hotel in New England for short getaway? | The Boneyard

OT: Beach hotel in New England for short getaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm looking for suggestions on a beach hotel for a brief family getaway in August - probably 1-2 nights. I have 2 kids under three, so we are not planning to do anything special. My preference is really just that we're close to the beach in a reasonable establishment. I am not opposed to renting a beach house instead of a hotel, but I just want it to be close to the beach/action so we can avoid driving. Anyone have suggestions on good beach vacation spots in the area?

We are considering something like this:
http://www.newportbeachhotelandsuites.com

Reaction Score
Newport is awesome in the summer, no doubt. Not sure how old your kids are but right across from this hotel is the Atlantic Beach Club which has some serious "talent" there all day long! I would not recommend taking the kids but definitely try to sneak over there for a beer or 6! NBH is right across the street from the beach and u can walk to the waves but if you want to shop and walk around Newport as well, check out the Hotel Viking which is centrally located. You can take a shuttle to the beach from there. NBH, like I said is near the water but away from all the shops and restaurants so it comes down to personal preferences based on what u want to do in Newport.

Reaction Score
Any suggestions for a basic, clean, safe motel along the CT shoreline anywhere from Branford eastward on to RI border? thanks

Reaction Score
I'm looking for suggestions on a beach hotel for a brief family getaway in August - probably 1-2 nights. I have 2 kids under three, so we are not planning to do anything special. My preference is really just that we're close to the beach in a reasonable establishment. I am not opposed to renting a beach house instead of a hotel, but I just want it to be close to the beach/action so we can avoid driving. Anyone have suggestions on good beach vacation spots in the area?

We are considering something like this:
http://www.newportbeachhotelandsuites.com

That's a nice place, but it's across from Easton's Beach, which was a beautiful place 25 years ago. Regular women's and men's pro-beach volleyball stop, great surfing, etc. Not so much anymore, there is a problem now in that water with waste water runoff from the collecting bond damned up right next door and city runoff. THe beach is still nice for hanging out at the beach, but not good for going in the water.

Best New England beaches IMO are in Rhode Island, and if you want walking distance that is reasonably priced, better off to look at Narragansett or Point Judith, plenty of full houses to rent within walking distance to beaches, and you're going to want a washer and dryer with kids that age. Newport is beautiful, I love that place, but it is pricey, and nothing really within walking distance of the beach - much better for boaters. You can walk to a boat from almost anywhere in Newport.

Reaction Score
Any suggestions for a basic, clean, safe motel along the CT shoreline anywhere from Branford eastward on to RI border? thanks

Madison Beach Hotel? I know the restaurant is good, and the hotel is fairly new.

Reaction Score
Madison Beach Hotel is very nice, but you can also try Owenego in Branford. It's right on the water and you have great views of Long Island Sound. If not, there's Waters Edge, Old Saybrook Point Inn, Mystic Inn, or you can try Griswold Inn (its the oldest continuously run tavern in america or something).

Reaction Score
Madison Beach Hotel is very nice, but you can also try Owenego in Branford. It's right on the water and you have great views of Long Island Sound. If not, there's Waters Edge, Old Saybrook Point Inn, Mystic Inn, or you can try Griswold Inn (its the oldest continuously run tavern in america or something).
Quick Side not: Mike Olt's family operates the Owenego and his brothers are the bar tenders. They always have Cubs games on their tv, and News Channel 8 is always there to tape them. It's a great UCONN atmosphere

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Anywhere in mystic, the whaler, plenty of places in town,BB's? Close to an awesome beach in watch hill.

Reaction Score
If you have young kids you don't want to go to Newport (I am not sure why anyone wants to go to Newport).

I would suggest Narragansett, some nice restaurants and plenty of beaches (better than the CT beaches), great clam shacks.

I nice place just across the street from Scarborough beach is http://theanchormotel.com/

If you want a little more upscale try http://www.theatlantichouse.com/

Hike out to Black point during low tide the kids will love it.

Reaction Score
Newport may be the most overrated place on the planet. But to each their own I guess.

Watch Hill, RI has some ok beaches for New England.

Reaction Score
Wow! Red Jacket is still there? I went there as a kid many times. Blue Waters was the hotel next door, stayed there a few times as well. You just blew my mind with that. Dad?

Not that I know of but the late 70's/ early 80's were rough. The link is actually to Green Harbor which is up the road but part of the Red Jacket "family". We found out about GH while staying at the RJ. Very family oriented.

Reaction Score
Newport may be the most overrated place on the planet. But to each their own I guess.

It has scenic and historic value and is an ok place for a day trip in late spring or fall, but the beaches suck and it's a culinary wasteland.

For the OP, if you're looking for walking distance to the beach in RI there aren't many options outside of the immediate areas around Misquamicut, Watch Hill or Narragansett. I'm not big on the beaches in Narragansett, and the re-engineered beach in Misquamicut is kind of gross, even though the surrounding area is kid-friendly and nicer than it used to be. I'm guessing you're not too keen on spending the $$ to stay at the Ocean House, but the Watch Hill Inn is OK and more affordable.

Reaction Score
If you're willing to travel a little bit further, well a few hours actually, there are some great places in Southern Maine. The Ogunquit area has a bunch of really nice spots, the beach is terrific, too. The Anchorage, the Sealatch are two. Get off 95 at York and Go up 1A from York though to bypass the worst traffic. . York has some places too. Thde Anchorage is the biggest I think, but the Sea Latch is not bad either. Lots of others. A fair number of B&Bs that cater to families, too. Beaches there are terrific for kids and something is going on every night in York Beach for kids. If you can go a bit farther north, state parks, one in Phippsburg (Popham Beach) and one in Georgetown (Reid State park) are absolutely terrific. You can stay in Bath, or Boothbay (Ocean Gate in East Boothbay is kind of cool. they have kayaks and canoes you can use if the weather isn't great for beaching but is ok for other water activities, too). I've been at Reid when we were the only ones on the beach on a beautiful day in August.

Reaction Score
I would suggest Narragansett, some nice restaurants and plenty of beaches (better than the CT beaches), great clam shacks.
A nice place just across the street from Scarborough beach is http://theanchormotel.com/
Personal favorite of our family. We have been staying at The Anchor Motel for the last 7 years. It's nothing fancy, 13 rooms; with a small refrigerator, Wifi, and cable TV. The owners are always on the property and keep the rooms very clean. My kids love it there. A short walk across the street to either a private beach or the Scarborough State Beach makes it easy with kids.....no driving. The waves are great for boogie boarding, body surfing, and the private beach is great fro skim boarding. If you have little ones, Roger Wheeler State Beach is a short drive away, and has a playground and no waves. There are some great delis and restaurants in the area. If you go, you have to try Crazy Burger (It was featured on Food Network's, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.). It's a funky joint with some great burgers. They also serve breakfast. The downside is that it is located right on the corner of the two roads that lead to the state beach. So, there is traffic noise at night, but just ask for a room closer to the office. You'll also have to take a 20-minute ride to Brickley's Ice Cream Shop.

Reaction Score
Look into Linger Longer in Brewster on Cape Cod. Right on the beach (bay Side). This area has the Brewster Flats where at low tide you can walk out 1/4 mile before you hit water on sand. Probably can walk out almost a mile in the water. High tide over your head right off beach. You can also go to Nickerson State Park to the freshwater beaches there. Nicest water I have ever seen in a lake clear and sandy bottom. Look for picnic area by Flax Pond and walk down the steps and turn right at the water you may have a private beach. Both (beach and lake) would be great for kids. http://www.lingerlongerbythesea.com/

Reaction Score
bc puckett said:
Not that I know of but the late 70's/ early 80's were rough. The link is actually to Green Harbor which is up the road but part of the Red Jacket "family". We found out about GH while staying at the RJ. Very family oriented.

Ah. Blue Water is very close to the Red Jacket Resort South Yarmouth. I think Green Harbor is just a little ways away in West Yarmouth. So many places I want to take my kids but I never put a significant big dent in the list.

Anyway, it looks like some of these old Cape resorts have the same furniture they had in the late 70's to mid-80's. The wife wouldn't go for that. How are Green Harbor's accommodations?

Reaction Score
Sky ball said:
Look into Linger Longer in Brewster on Cape Cod. Right on the beach (bay Side). This area has the Brewster Flats where at low tide you can walk out 1/4 mile before you hit water on sand. Probably can walk out almost a mile in the water. High tide over your head right off beach. You can also go to Nickerson State Park to the freshwater beaches there. Nicest water I have ever seen in a lake clear and sandy bottom. Look for picnic area by Flax Pond and walk down the steps and turn right at the water you may have a private beach. Both (beach and lake) would be great for kids. http://www.lingerlongerbythesea.com/

The flats are cool. One of my fond memories of a stay in Brewster is walking out as far as we could and staying out there way too long. As we headed out a couple of the guys I was with busted out a few fatties and judgment was slightly compromised. This was probably 96' or 97' and I just gotten my first cell phone---which was in my pocket. I had that thing up over my head and was just about to give up when I made it in to shore. I dropped it in the toilet the next day.

Reaction Score
Wow! Red Jacket is still there? I went there as a kid many times. Blue Waters was the hotel next door, stayed there a few times as well. You just blew my mind with that. Dad?

Red Jacket. Went there on my honeymoon 37 years ago!

Reaction Score
Sea Crest Beach Hotel in Falmouth, MA. Was just there for a conference and it's been redone. Liked it and the town has plenty of things to do.

Reaction Score
Personal favorite of our family. We have been staying at The Anchor Motel for the last 7 years. It's nothing fancy, 13 rooms; with a small refrigerator, Wifi, and cable TV. The owners are always on the property and keep the rooms very clean. My kids love it there. A short walk across the street to either a private beach or the Scarborough State Beach makes it easy with kids.....no driving. The waves are great for boogie boarding, body surfing, and the private beach is great fro skim boarding. If you have little ones, Roger Wheeler State Beach is a short drive away, and has a playground and no waves. There are some great delis and restaurants in the area. If you go, you have to try Crazy Burger (It was featured on Food Network's, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.). It's a funky joint with some great burgers. They also serve breakfast. The downside is that it is located right on the corner of the two roads that lead to the state beach. So, there is traffic noise at night, but just ask for a room closer to the office. You'll also have to take a 20-minute ride to Brickley's Ice Cream Shop.

Definitely Roger Wheeler with kid considerations, shallow drops, protected, or Watch Hill, kids might enjoy the carousel.

Reaction Score
Ah. Blue Water is very close to the Red Jacket Resort South Yarmouth. I think Green Harbor is just a little ways away in West Yarmouth. So many places I want to take my kids but I never put a significant big dent in the list.

Anyway, it looks like some of these old Cape resorts have the same furniture they had in the late 70's to mid-80's. The wife wouldn't go for that. How are Green Harbor's accommodations?

You are correct GH is a little ways up the road. It's been a few years since we've been there but my wife had no complaints (and she wouldn't have gone back if she did). We had a two bedroom condo facing the water. Had a full kitchen so you didn't have to go out for every meal. Also each condo had its own charcoal grill although the seagulls like to sit up on the rooftops and dive bomb unsuspecting grillers. There were a few times they were successful in grabbing dinner of a hot grill and disappearing over the water.

Also they have a large pool, their own mini golf course, and they at least used to do a lot of kid's activities during the day. I just always thought it was a nice quiet family oriented place that was sort out of the way of the usual mob scene of summer on the Cape

Reaction Score

Watch Hill, RI has some ok beaches for New England.

I went to Watch Hill for the first time last year. I usually go to Misquamicut and IMO Watch Hill just blew it away. Totally recommend going there.

Reaction Score
been going to watch hill since high school.. def the best beach in new england. it used to low key, but good luck trying to find parking there now.. i would recommend going there after 4. on another note, always see a lot of uconn people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom