OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: BC football to renew historic rivarly...with Holy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clearly because we are afraid of them after drubbing them in 9 out of 10.

Well, you have beaten Umass Lowell, Northeastern, et al, lots of times too, yet you still play them. The fact is Uconn no longer play Umass Amherst. The timing is interesting. To Umass' credit, they have become the #2 program in New England. One might think that it would make sense that Uconn resume playing them. But, again, Uconn doesn't; and I am left with the question: why? Nobody has answered that yet. My hypothesis: it is not in Uconn's best interest at this point, which I completely understand and is central to my main point.

Reaction Score
The suggestion that BC is singularly keeping Uconn out of the ACC doesn't pass the sniff test. Also, BC has no say whatsoever about Uconn getting into the BiG or B12, so that doesn't pass the sniff test either.

See, this is what I mean by intellectual dishonesty. State a position by another party that the party never made and then base your argument around that fictitious position. It's either intentional and dishonest; or you are just incapable of logical discourse.

I'm out. BC board must be a pile of , so enjoy the Boneyard. I've got better things to do than follow homeless BC posters.

Reaction Score
Well, you have beaten Umass Lowell, Northeastern, et al, lots of times too, yet you still play them. The fact is your no longer play Umass Amherst. The timing is interesting. To Umass' credit, they have become the #2 program in New England. One might think that it would make sense that Uconn resume playing them. But, again, Uconn doesn't; and I am left with the question: why? Nobody has answered that yet. My hypothesis: it is not in Uconn's best interest at this point, which I completely understand and is central to my main point.

Buddy there are plenty of D1 in state teams we don't play. When we signed on for the 10 game series it was probably at the worst time according to your hypothesis. UConn had everything to lose and nothing to gain. UMass had everything to gain. We pasted them and cemented our status as the premier basketball program in the Northeast. Of course, we did go on to bigger and better things, but it started by showing some testicular fortititude and scheduling UMass at a time where it made no sense to do so (according to you).

So why don't we play them now? Who knows? But I doubt it's because it doesn't make sense for us to do so.

Reaction Score
See, this is what I mean by intellectual dishonesty. State a position by another party that the party never made and then base your argument around that fictitious position. It's either intentional and dishonest; or you are just incapable of logical discourse.

I'm out. BC board must be a pile of , so enjoy the Boneyard. I've got better things to do than follow homeless BC posters.

Intellectual dishonesty? Here is what you said: "BC has deliberately and has stated as such it's desire to keep UCONN out of major college athletics to protect its perceived interests."

My limited point is that BC has done noting of the sort. It probably opposes Uconn coming to the ACC for the very same reasons that other teams oppose nearby teams from joining their conference. Tell me where BC has acted to impair Uconn's ability to get into the BiG?, B12? That was my point. Read my response again,

Reaction Score
Samco, I guess where I would disagree is that neither BC or Uconn really need each other. In Uconn's case, they need to continue scheduling and staring to beat the really big guys. Can you imagine the electricity in CT, if Uconn had held on and beaten Michigan this past season. Think your ND win X 100! Might have changed the trajectory of your season. For BC, they need to get back and start beating the ND's, FSU's, and Clemson's of the world - something they were doing just a few years ago. Games against BC and Uconn just don't have the same juice, IMO, and won't move the needle for either program.

What's crystal clear, is that UCONN does NOT need anything from Boston College University. UCONN has won multiple championships in all three money making sports in the current century. National chamiponships in basketball programs, and conference titles and bowl games in division 1A football. We've been able to do that, being completely untied from any relationship at all with Boston College University. While we have attendance issues in sports right now, we are not unique in that regard, across the country, and we are not in the painfully embarrassing category of attendance in money making sports that some are in. It has also yet to be shown, in football at least, that a winning program, will not generate box office draw and sold out games. The same can't be said for some programs with a lot more "tradition".

As for Boston College University needing anything from UCONN? I can think of at least one thing, that would benefit BCU from a conference relationship with UCONN - and that is at least one game a year at Conte Forum in basketball that would be sold out.

It's all about football though, and it's just blind ignorance, to think that a UCONN v. BCU football game at either home venue, would not be a regular high volume box office draw, as well as a television ratings draw, regardless of win/loss records. UCONN fans recognize this would be case, as do UCONN administrators....but BCU fans, clearly don't get it, and I can't speak for BCU administrators.

Now go away. Shoo.

Reaction Score
Well, you have beaten Umass Lowell, Northeastern, et al, lots of times too, yet you still play them. The fact is Uconn no longer play Umass Amherst. The timing is interesting. To Umass' credit, they have become the #2 program in New England. One might think that it would make sense that Uconn resume playing them. But, again, Uconn doesn't; and I am left with the question: why? Nobody has answered that yet. My hypothesis: it is not in Uconn's best interest at this point, which I completely understand and is central to my main point.

Are You aware that schedules are set before seasons actually start, sometimes years in advance? UMass is finally having a good season after years of mediocrity. I can all but guarantee you that if they keep it up for at least a couple more seasons we will play them.

Reaction Score
Are You aware that schedules are set before seasons actually start, sometimes years in advance? UMass is finally having a good season after years of mediocrity. I can all but guarantee you that if they keep it up for at least a couple more seasons we will play them.

You're conversing with a BCU lackey.....keep that in mind with the level of understanding........ :)

Reaction Score
What's crystal clear, is that UCONN does NOT need anything from Boston College University. UCONN has won multiple championships in all three money making sports in the current century. National chamiponships in basketball programs, and conference titles and bowl games in division 1A football. We've been able to do that, being completely untied from any relationship at all with Boston College University. While we have attendance issues in sports right now, we are not unique in that regard, across the country, and we are not in the painfully embarrassing category of attendance in money making sports that some are in. It has also yet to be shown, in football at least, that a winning program, will not generate box office draw and sold out games. The same can't be said for some programs with a lot more "tradition".

As for Boston College University needing anything from UCONN? I can think of at least one thing, that would benefit BCU from a conference relationship with UCONN - and that is at least one game a year at Conte Forum in basketball that would be sold out.

It's all about football though, and it's just blind ignorance, to think that a UCONN v. BCU football game at either home venue, would not be a regular high volume box office draw, as well as a television ratings draw, regardless of win/loss records. UCONN fans recognize this would be case, as do UCONN administrators....but BCU fans, clearly don't get it, and I can't speak for BCU administrators.

Now go away. Shoo.

Carl, just 2 quick points:

I think you overestimate the impact of a BC Uconn FB game - at least at BC. They never sold out when they played at Alumni - and both teams were good at the time.

As far as BB, how will that help BC?? BB at BC is distant third in popularity behind FB and Hockey. BB at Uconn is the top sport. All a Uconn game at Conte will mean is that BC will likely get embarrassed by having more Uconn fans in the stands than BC fans! No thanks! (You see, I am a realist.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carl, just 2 quick points:

I think you overestimate the impact of a BC Uconn FB game - at least at BC. They never sold out when we played at Alumni - and both teams were good at the time.

As far as BB, how will that help BC?? BB at BC is distant third in popularity behind FB and Hockey. BB at Uconn is the top sport. All a Uconn game at Conte will mean is that BC will likely get embarrassed by having more Uconn fans in the stands than BC fans! No thanks! (You see, I am a realist.)

I didn't write that football games would be sold out, I wrote "high volume draws". Reading comprehension.

....and the truth comes out - I stand by my Doug Flutie short man syndrome comment. BCU over the past 30 years has developed short man syndrome when it comes to anything related to UCONN. If Randy Edsall didn't regularly proverbially wet himself in high pressure situations, UCONN may have had a very good chance to knock off BCU at Chestnut Hill, and that scare, was probably way too much for any BCU fan or administrator to handle.

I'm finished with you. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
You're conversing with a BCU lackey.....keep that in mind with the level of understanding... :)

Look. my simple question, which no one has answered is why haven't BC and Umass Amherst played in recent years. Uconn has played most other major NE programs multiple times in recent years - usually very one-sided affairs. It probably would not surprise you to believe that many Umass fans feel the same about Uconn re: scheduling as Uconn fans feel about BC.

Reaction Score

No! You're too hilarious to leave! What will the "homeless" do now? Talk about "internet muscles"!

Reaction Score
Look. my simple question, which no one has answered is why haven't BC and Umass Amherst played in recent years. Uconn has played most other major NE programs multiple times in recent years - usually very one-sided affairs. It probably would not surprise you to believe that many Umass fans feel the same about Uconn re: scheduling as Uconn fans feel about BC.

Your "simple question" cannot be answered by anyone on this board unless they are employed within either AD and have direct knowledge of the situation. Any "answer" is pure speculation. Given the history, that we scheduled them for 10 years at a time when it made no sense to do so (according to your idiotic logic) leads me to believe that it's factors other than what you want to believe.

You share the vision of your idiotic AD and have paid a steep price.

Reaction Score

That was part of a scheduling strategy that Jeff Hathaway had. If we were playing an FCS school, he wanted to play former conference mates and share the wealth.

UMass was an FCS when our game with them was scheduled. It turned into FBS game when the decided to upgrade after the game was put on the calendar.

Reaction Score
I didn't write that football games would be sold out, I wrote "high volume draws". Reading comprehension.

....and the truth comes out - I stand by my Doug Flutie short man syndrome comment. BCU over the past 30 years has developed short man syndrome when it comes to anything related to UCONN. If Randy Edsall didn't regularly proverbially wet himself in high pressure situations, UCONN may have had a very good chance to knock off BCU at Chestnut Hill, and that scare, was probably way too much for any BCU fan or administrator to handle.

I'm finished with you. Have a nice day.

OK...understand. Just remember that the "little man" that you refer to was the last person offered a BC scholarship in his class. All he did was reverse BC's FB fortunes, beat, Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, Miami (in what was arguably the most famous play in CFB history) and many other programs, electrify the country with his style of play, win the Cotton Bowl and, in the process, drive BC to a #4 finish, set NCAA passing records, and oh, win the Heisman Trophy. He had a long professional career, including one year as an All-Pro in the NFL, and he has been very active in funding the fight against Down Syndrome.

If linking BC to Doug Flutie is the worst thing you can throw at its door, by all means do so!

Reaction Score
No! You're too hilarious to leave! What will the "homeless" do now? Talk about "internet muscles"!

Things slow on EO?
That was part of a scheduling strategy that Jeff Hathaway had. If we were playing an FCS school, he wanted to play former conference mates and share the wealth.

UMass was an FCS when our game with them was scheduled. It turned into FBS game when the decided to upgrade after the game was put on the calendar.

The idiot is talking about hoops. He's saying we won't play UMass in hoops for the same reason BCU won't play us in football.

Even though we pasted them 9 out of 10 years. Logic and reality escape those in Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score

Fair point, ZooCougar. We shall see if any further games are scheduled going forward in the coming years.

Reaction Score
BC78, have you taken a look at BC's future schedules? You say playing UConn adds no juice, but games against Colorado St, New Mexico State (the back end of a home and home), a two game series v. Buffalo, and the Massachusettes State Championship series in 2018 where BC plays both UMass and Holy Cross provides juice...really? This is what posters mean by being dishonest.

Reaction Score
Things slow on EO?

The idiot is talking about hoops. He's saying we won't play UMass in hoops for the same reason BCU won't play us in football.

Even though we pasted them 9 out of 10 years. Logic and reality escape those in Chestnut Hill.

Again, I asked a simple question. Why haven't games been scheduled with Umass in recent years?? You have played everybody else in NE, often multiple times; yet you haven't played one of the closest major college college BB programs since, when, 2005? What difference does the fact that you used to beat them most of time make? You have pretty much beaten ALL the New England teams you have played, haven't you? If that was the criteria for future games against NE teams, you wouldn't play NE teams. Your BB program is very good! I get it!

Look, you can call me an idiot or other personal invectives; that doesn't bother me. However, the fact is that NOBODY has answered my question!

Reaction Score
The inferiority complex at BCU to UCONN in football, is so deeply ingrained that it's hard to fathom. The current administrators are working through things the best they can, and we matched up in hoops for the first time in a long time (we won) in November, and will be competiting in conference with BCU in their prized hockey.....but the football culture at BCU is something else. Here you got fans, projecting their own insecurities onto the little fan base of UMass, that has enough of it's own problems. THey don't need BCU fans projecting.

Losing a football game to UCONN, is completely the worst thing possible that could ever happen to a BCU, it appears from the way the institution and its representatives have behaved for the past decade. They came close to it happening several years ago, on their home field. They have done nearly everything and anything they can possible to avoid any further such threat. To the point of detracting from the potential growth of interest in their own product in their own geographic, and cultural environment.

There is no more clear definition of an inferiority complex.

Reaction Score
However, the fact is that NOBODY has answered my question!
He did answer it when he said he doesn't know. No one on this board knows why, but seeing that UConn has scheduled good local programs, specifically Harvard (who is the true 2nd best team in NE over the past several years) should be an indication that it is not due to trying to keep UMass down. Look at our scheduling philosophy in all sports, take baseball, hockey, women's hoops, soccer, field hockey, etc... UConn tries to schedule the best competition it can. Both parties need to be interested, and both parties need to have similar open dates available.

Reaction Score
However, the fact is that NOBODY has answered my question!

Well when you ask a question that nobody outside of the Athletic Depts of the 2 schools can answer, your responses will be limited.

Reaction Score
BC78, have you taken a look at BC's future schedules? You say playing UConn adds no juice, but games against Colorado St, New Mexico State (the back end of a home and home), a two game series v. Buffalo, and the Massachusettes State Championship series in 2018 where BC plays both UMass and Holy Cross provides juice...really? This is what posters mean by being dishonest.

I hear you Samco. I am certainly not saying that some many of those programs will provide "juice" either. (Although I think the HC game will provide more interest than typical for an FCS game given the long and rich history between the two schools.)

My only point is that I believe, that a BC/Uconn game, while certainly providing more "juice" than some of the schools you mentioned, does not offset the risk to BC of giving a "leg up" to a competitor at this time.

Look, these situations are always in flux. Suppose Uconn gets into the BiG. One could envision a scenario where BC would probably want to play Uconn and it would be Uconn saying: "uh, thanks, but no thanks." That's my whole point. Right now, Uconn has more to gain, so I understand your point. If that were to reverse in the future, each of our prospective positions would also reverse, IMO, and we would then be arguing each other's points!

None of this is personal, despite the emotions of some here. It is all business, IMO.

Reaction Score
He did answer it when he said he doesn't know. No one on this board knows why, but seeing that UConn has scheduled good local programs, specifically Harvard (who is the true 2nd best team in NE over the past several years) should be an indication that it is not due to trying to keep UMass down. Look at our scheduling philosophy in all sports, take baseball, hockey, women's hoops, soccer, field hockey, etc... UConn tries to schedule the best competition it can. Both parties need to be interested, and both parties need to have similar open dates available.

They must have only begun offering courses in logic up there in 1979.

Sore Eagles!

Reaction Score
I hear you Samco. I am certainly not saying that some many of those programs will provide "juice" either. (Although I think the HC game will provide more interest than typical for an FCS game given the long and rich history between the two schools.)

My only point is that I believe, that a BC/Uconn game, while certainly providing more "juice" than some of the schools you mentioned, does not offset the risk to BC of giving a "leg up" to a competitor at this time.

Look, these situations are always in flux. Suppose Uconn gets into the BiG. One could envision a scenario where BC would probably want to play Uconn and it would be Uconn saying: "uh, thanks, but no thanks." That's my whole point. Right now, Uconn has more to gain, so I understand your point. If that were to reverse in the future, each of our prospective positions would also reverse, IMO, and we would then be arguing each other's points!

None of this is personal, despite the emotions of some here. It is all business, IMO.
That is it, and I agree BC. On this board I hear almost every BC posters stating it has to do with every reason from lawsuit (which did bite UConn in the arse) to the "juice" you referenced, to UConn being not a big time enough, to hurting their SOS, to one time nearly 10 years ago a drunk group of fans did something stupid and inapporpriate to the BC buses, etc... I think your and my opinions are aligned that it predominantly has to do with BC trying to keep seperation between their nearest competition. Where you and I disagree is on if this approach makes sense. I think it is a backwards and small time thinking, and that in fact a regular series between the two would benefit both programs (I'm not talking about national appeal, but definitely more local and asolutely would energize fan bases).

Also, agreed none of this is personal. I don't see anything wrong with how your posting/conducting yourself on this board, just happen to disagree with a lot of what you're posting. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom