OT: Bazley decommits from 'Cuse, goes to G-League | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Bazley decommits from 'Cuse, goes to G-League

Reaction Score
The Hurley signing and this news has me watching UConn games and highlights. I hope Hurley gets UConn back to where Gampel is rocking like this

Waited outside all damn day in some gloomy CT February weather. I was about 10 rows up from the floor and Ganprl was just about literally rocking in there. Like I swear I could feel reverberations

Easily the most rabid crowd I’ve been in.

And actually from watching a bit of that video I’m pretty sure you can see a speck of orange in our section, I knew that chick lol our own kids were heckling the hell out of her. Grew up a huge Cuse fan, came to UConn for whatever reason, was head-to-toe in orange

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Waited outside all damn day in some gloomy CT February weather. I was about 10 rows up from the floor and Ganprl was just about literally rocking in there. Like I swear I could feel reverberations

Easily the most rabid crowd I’ve been in.

And actually from watching a bit of that video I’m pretty sure you can see a speck of orange in our section, I knew that chick lol our own kids were heckling the hell out of her. Grew up a huge Cuse fan, came to UConn for whatever reason, was head-to-toe in orange
I was there too. The crowd was chanting where’s your 8 ball to Harris and then you beat women to devendlck

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

G-League teams only have two players each whose rights are owned by NBA teams. The rest of the roster are free agents, I believe. Thus, the incentive to develop Bazley would be the same for him as for the rest of the roster I would think.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How would they do that?

Easy, say a guy's scholarship counts for 2-4 years if he jumps early to the pros. So if you have a 1 and done, his scholarship gets tied up for 3 more years. You'd have to iron out the specifics (how many years the ships get tied up etc), but it wouldn't be that hard.

As an extreme example: Duke, with three 1 and done's last year, and 3 more this coming year. So Duke would be down six scholarships for 2 more years, and 3 for three more years.

Basically, schools would be forced to recruit only one or two 1 and done's max at a time.

The talent would get spread out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
G-League teams only have two players each whose rights are owned by NBA teams. The rest of the roster are free agents, I believe. Thus, the incentive to develop Bazley would be the same for him as for the rest of the roster I would think.

I think the 'only two players' think applies to guys who sign 2 way contracts with the big club. NBA teams can also assign players to the G league which isn't the same thing (Draft Rights Players).

Reaction Score
Easy, say a guy's scholarship counts for 2-4 years if he jumps early to the pros. So if you have a 1 and done, his scholarship gets tied up for 3 more years. You'd have to iron out the specifics (how many years the ships get tied up etc), but it wouldn't be that hard.

As an extreme example: Duke, with three 1 and done's last year, and 3 more this coming year. So Duke would be down six scholarships for 2 more years, and 3 for three more years.

Basically, schools would be forced to recruit only one or two 1 and done's max at a time.

The talent would get spread out.
Yeah but why penalize the team for that? And who knows exactly what recruits are going to be one and dones? For example, Trae Young wasn't supposed to be a one and done. The kid worked hard, Oklahoma helped develop him, and now the program gets penalized?

Don't like this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah but why penalize the team for that? And who knows exactly what recruits are going to be one and dones? For example, Trae Young wasn't supposed to be a one and done. The kid worked hard, Oklahoma helped develop him, and now the program gets penalized?

Don't like this.

It was just a way to spread the wealth of talent. If that's what schools care about. There's ways to structure it so that it wouldn't be so harmful for small numbers, sliding scales or what have you. I just provided the most extreme example I could think of.

Much of the 'pooling of talent' is done via backdoor money and benefits anyway, so why incentivize and reward those who do that?

In the Trae Young example, they are not recruiting a ton of one and done's, so they would lose one scholly, maybe for a year only. It wouldn't harm them much at all. Now if UK wants to collect (likely by funneling cash) big time players, they'll pay the price for it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It was just a way to spread the wealth of talent. If that's what schools care about. There's ways to structure it so that it wouldn't be so harmful for small numbers, sliding scales or what have you. I just provided the most extreme example I could think of.

Much of the 'pooling of talent' is done via backdoor money and benefits anyway, so why incentivize and reward those who do that?

In the Trae Young example, they are not recruiting a ton of one and done's, so they would lose one scholly, maybe for a year only. It wouldn't harm them much at all. Now if UK wants to collect (likely by funneling cash) big time players, they'll pay the price for it.
you're punishing the schools for the decision of the NBA and the kids that don't want to be in college

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Stunned this kid is a McDonald's All-American. Don't even know if he averaged double figures as a junior in high school. Seemed like a top 50-75 kid to me based on his raw ability, but his game isn't very polished yet. His whole recruitment process was a nightmare, I kind of get why Cincinnati literally put no effort in recruiting him even though he was right in our backyard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
you're punishing the schools for the decision of the NBA and the kids that don't want to be in college

It's simple a way for the NCAA to side step the NBA controlling their system. It's not punishing schools if they don't recruit a bunch of 1 and done's. Only recruit one, no problem. It's a schools choice. It's almost like a soft salary cap in the pros. If you go over, you pay the tax. You are fully in control of what you do. We all admit that the NCAA is basically a semi pro league as it is.

As I said, there's a ton of ways to structure it. If you have one guy go pro early per year, then no schollie lockup or something.

And it doesn't punish kids who don't want to go to college. They can come and go as they please to whatever schools want them without being harmed. Same as now. They just won't all go to Duke.

Reaction Score
One note: I do think kids will look at how well Bazley does in the draft next year.

It's a lot harder to play against Pros and Men than it is against fellow college students. Much easier to shine in college and build that hype.

If he does well, gets drafted high, then it sound like a go.

Interesting litmus test to watch.

EDIT: I see the guy with the tweets above beat me to it. Too slow

Is there a rule saying he has to go to the draft? Serious question. A rule stating that anyone who signs to the G-league has to be part of the draft. Are we sure he wouldn't be a free agent?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is there a rule saying he has to go to the draft? Serious question. A rule stating that anyone who signs to the G-league has to be part of the draft. Are we sure he wouldn't be a free agent?

Yes. No one prior to one year out of highschool (at least 19) can have their rights retained. He's not eligible for the draft this year. And he's not allowed to be called up. He enters the NBA draft next year per normal. He's just got the option to play this year.

Not exactly sure how it works for different systems like the Euros.

Reaction Score
Yes. No one prior to one year out of highschool (at least 19) can have their rights retained. He's not eligible for the draft this year. And he's not allowed to be called up. He enters the NBA draft next year per normal. He's just got the option to play this year.

Not exactly sure how it works for different systems like the Euros.

Thanks. I knew he couldn't be drafted this year. I meant after a year in the G-league. Thanks. I don't know much about how they run the G-league.

Reaction Score

The rest of the players aren't on 2 way contracts but the parent NBA team to the g league affiliate have the rights to those players to be called up. Pretty sure that's how it works since they subsidise those teams

Reaction Score
The rest of the players aren't on 2 way contracts but the parent NBA team to the g league affiliate have the rights to those players to be called up. Pretty sure that's how it works since they subsidise those teams

They don't own the rights to every player on their G League team. But any player they have the draft rights to but have not signed to an NBA contract that plays in the G League (along with their 2 way contracts) will play for their team. Also, NBA teams can assign young players down to G League without being on 2 way contracts and they'd go to their affiliate in that case.

Players who no teams own their draft rights can play for any G League team and get signed to a call up contract by any NBA team.

Reaction Score
Guess you don’t realize he is now free to sign any endorsement deal he pleases, don’t be surprised if a 6 figure a year+ shoe deal is already in the works for the kid as he is a projected top 10 pick for 2019. The top kids going HS to Gleague will get paid it’s the ones who aren’t on nba radars that declare early that will struggle.

How much endorsement money did Lenny Cooke get? When the league can only pay its players $26,000 a year, and the attendance is in the hundreds on a good night, where is that money going to come from? The only way this turns into a "thing", in my opinion, is if the NBA goes full farm-team system with the G League, and they start paying these players a living wage, at least around $75,000 a year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They don't own the rights to every player on their G League team. But any player they have the draft rights to but have not signed to an NBA contract that plays in the G League (along with their 2 way contracts) will play for their team. Also, NBA teams can assign young players down to G League without being on 2 way contracts and they'd go to their affiliate in that case.

Players who no teams own their draft rights can play for any G League team and get signed to a call up contract by any NBA team.

I think, but am not sure, that they can assign 4 (?) players cut during training camp down to their G League affiliate (not sure about required age). They don't retain the rights and are still in the general pool, but those guys have to play for their affiliate, stay in their system, and work with their coaches. This is recollection.

Reaction Score
How much endorsement money did Lenny Cooke get? When the league can only pay its players $26,000 a year, and the attendance is in the hundreds on a good night, where is that money going to come from? The only way this turns into a "thing", in my opinion, is if the NBA goes full farm-team system with the G League, and they start paying these players a living wage, at least around $75,000 a year.

Never going to happen. The infrastructure and facilities are already there for college and they don't have to pay any money. They will never steal the college spectators so there won't be the tv deal money, sponsorship money or ticket sale/ merchandise money to pay better.

Baseball and hockey have had farm system for decades. Their players make peanuts/ poverty wages except the top players who had large signing bonuses but their pay is still low outside the signing bonus. They get paid like $1000-2500/ month and that's only when the season is going on.

The kids, parents and most people are naive to the economics and way things work in farm systems. There no such thing as a living wage for minor leaguers. It tough living conditions, traveling, and hard work with crap pay and limited/ no meals.

Reaction Score

But what about that free education Syracuse was going to provide? I am reminded by many that to these kids that has a face value of 50k a year. Great response and hard to fault the kid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Screw the NBA. Let kids get drafted out of high school if they want to be and let them play if they are capable. Otherwise send them to the G to develop. The whole one year out of high school thing was developed
not to protect kids but to protect older players. The Union was concerned that older members would lose out to young kids that teams would draft who would take lower salaries and fill end of bench slots as they developed replacing older guys at the ends of their careers. But I say screw that. Let teams take who they want to take.

Reaction Score
So is this a potential way to avoid the draft? If a team can negotiate with a kid to go GLeague w a contract rather than college, can they grab talent without going through the draft?

Reaction Score
So is this a potential way to avoid the draft? If a team can negotiate with a kid to go GLeague w a contract rather than college, can they grab talent without going through the draft?

There a g league draft and after that 1 year they would enter the NBA draft

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom