OT - Awesome Bald Eagle Video (Nature is Vicious) | The Boneyard

OT - Awesome Bald Eagle Video (Nature is Vicious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I was up on the coast in NoCal, hiking the Lost Coast when I saw a Harlequin duck on a pier. I was getting the camera out and a golden eagle came from on high snagged the duck and flew with it straight at me. I was so surprised I couldn't get a picture. Bummer was, that was my only sighting of a Harlequin in 30 years of hiking. The eagle hit it like a hammer, and broke the duck's back on the strike. I could tell because it was lifeless as the eagle soared off with it.
I have also seen osprey pull fish from the water while kayaking on a lake.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A guy is caught by a ranger eating a bald eagle and is consequently put in jail for the crime. On the day of his trial, the conversation went something like this:

Judge: "Do you know that eating a bald eagle is a federal offense?"

Man: "Yes I did. But if you let me argue my case, I'll explain what happened."

Judge: "Proceed."

Man: "I got lost in the woods. I hadn't had anything to eat for two weeks. I was so hungry. Next thing I see is a Bald Eagle swooping down at the lake for some fish. I knew that if I followed the Eagle I could maybe steal the fish. Unfortunately, in the process of taking the fish I killed the Eagle. I figured that since I killed the Eagle I might as well eat it since it would be more disgraceful to let it rot on the ground."

Judge: "The court will take a recess while we analyze your testimony."

15 minutes goes by and the judge returns.

Judge: "Due to the extreme circumstance you were under and because you didn't intend to kill the Eagle, the court will dismiss the charges. But if you don't mind the court asking, what does a Bald Eagle taste like?"

Man: "Well your honor, it is hard to explain. The best I can describe it is maybe a combination between a California Condor and a Spotted Owl."

Sorry. I'm really bored.

Reaction Score
Where I live in NJ, there is a lot of wildlife. A zillion deer, coyotes (been in my yard, ate a deer fawn once), bear (been at my kids' school), copperheads, timbers, foxes, etc. Well, had a lot of squirrels, chipmunks, and woodchucks in our yard. Then, a family of Red Tail Hawks moved into a tree next door about a month ago. One day, I am in the backyard and I find 3 squirrel pelts on top of the fence - just the heads and fur. Last week, I found rabbit parts all over the driveway. Haven't seen a squirrel in about 2 weeks and there is one woodchuck left, which looks to weight about 30 pounds. Luckily, my dog is part Dane, so he is safe.

Reaction Score
Where I live in NJ, there is a lot of wildlife. A zillion deer, coyotes (been in my yard, ate a deer fawn once), bear (been at my kids' school), copperheads, timbers, foxes, etc. Well, had a lot of squirrels, chipmunks, and woodchucks in our yard. Then, a family of Red Tail Hawks moved into a tree next door about a month ago. One day, I am in the backyard and I find 3 squirrel pelts on top of the fence - just the heads and fur. Last week, I found rabbit parts all over the driveway. Haven't seen a squirrel in about 2 weeks and there is one woodchuck left, which looks to weight about 30 pounds. Luckily, my dog is part Dane, so he is safe.

I read once where a bald eagle can lift an animal up to 25 pounds! They can prey on young goats and sheep, but prefer small mammals (rodents) and fish. If you hate varmint, than birds of prey are your best friends.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I read once where a bald eagle can lift an animal up to 25 pounds! They can prey on young goats and sheep, but prefer small mammals (rodents) and fish. If you hate varmint, than birds of prey are your best friends.

There are videos of bald eagles dragging fish and other water critters cross the water. Prey was too heavy to lift so they drag it to land.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was up on the coast in NoCal, hiking the Lost Coast when I saw a Harlequin duck on a pier. I was getting the camera out and a golden eagle came from on high snagged the duck and flew with it straight at me. I was so surprised I couldn't get a picture. Bummer was, that was my only sighting of a Harlequin in 30 years of hiking. The eagle hit it like a hammer, and broke the duck's back on the strike. I could tell because it was lifeless as the eagle soared off with it.
I have also seen osprey pull fish from the water while kayaking on a lake.

I live near water in Florida and literally see hundreds of Osprey every day. Also known as a sea hawk.

They can get 4'+ in size and can grab some decent sized fish out of the water.

Reaction Score
I live near water in Florida and literally see hundreds of Osprey every day. Also known as a sea hawk.

We have a fair number of osprey in CT, too. Apparently some of ours will winter in Brazil.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Pretty sure bald eagles are primarily fish eaters. They are nearly always seen near water. I think golden eagles are more meat eaters.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
When the eagle is first seen approaching is that an osprey parent flying behind it but arriving too late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom