(OT) Andre fouled 12 straight times | The Boneyard

(OT) Andre fouled 12 straight times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rockets fouled Andre Drummond 12 straight times to start the 3rd quarter. It's like hack a shaq on steroids. They actually sent kj mcdaniels out there to start the 3rd and instructed him to intentionally foul 5 times in a row just to get the Pistons in the bonus. KJ McDaniels picked up 5 fouls in 9 seconds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's horrible for the game and poor strategy, Pistons blew them out.

Reaction Score
It's horrible for the game and poor strategy, Pistons blew them out.
Wouldn't call a 9 point win a blowout, but I agree it's bad for the game. Hopefully it leads to some discussion about rule changes.

Reaction Score
I'm torn on this one.
Part of me thinks, "Jesus, just shoot 60% from the line and this goes away. Don't reward the bad player by sheltering him with rules."
A different part of me thinks, "I wouldn't want to play for a team (or watch a team) that did this."

Reaction Score
Holy crap. He shot 36 free throws. That is insane.

Reaction Score
NBA record 23 missed free throws.

The Pistons won, but it's hard to say the strategy didn't work. The foul-fest coincided with a 17-5 run for the Rockets to take the lead early in the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
I'm torn on this one.
Part of me thinks, "Jesus, just shoot 60% from the line and this goes away. Don't reward the bad player by sheltering him with rules."
A different part of me thinks, "I wouldn't want to play for a team (or watch a team) that did this."
Until Drummond shows that he can be slightly better than a poor free throw shooter, teams will continue to do this. I just dont understand how professsional basketball players can be that bad of a free throw shooter. You dont need massive amounts of talent to be good a shooting free throws. There are 8-10 year old kids that can shoot free throws with better form and better percentage than him. I just dont understand

caw

Reaction Score

The Pistons won, but it's hard to say the strategy didn't work. The foul-fest coincided with a 17-5 run for the Rockets to take the lead early in the 3rd quarter.

The issue was as much to do with very poor defense during those minutes. Drummond was a +10 and the Pistons won by 9 so it seems it was a bit of a wash. Watching it was mind numbing though.

I actually liked what SVG did with leaving him in. Got Houstons players in foul trouble and got them in the double bonus.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Whether or not someone can make free throws is beside the point. This rule ruins the game and slows it down. Is it smart? Sure but it ruins the game and slows it down while turning off the casual or even refused watching fan

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Several of his misses were far wide to the left and right. I can understand not having a soft touch and being shirt or long but his technique is so off, it raises the question about what his coaches are doing.

Reaction Score
It's both sad the NBA allows the "hack a guy" crap as well as the fact he's that awful at such an easy aspect of the game. 13-36 is beyond pitiful ex-Husky or not.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Until Drummond shows that he can be slightly better than a poor free throw shooter, teams will continue to do this. I just dont understand how professsional basketball players can be that bad of a free throw shooter. You dont need massive amounts of talent to be good a shooting free throws. There are 8-10 year old kids that can shoot free throws with better form and better percentage than him. I just dont understand

It's the way big men grow up basically being physically more dominate so never having to shoot. If you don't have to shoot to be better you don't have to practice, if you don't practice shooting you'll never get better. Once these players get to the NBA its essentially too late for them to become a better free throw shooter. (see:shaq)

Reaction Score
There's no intentional foul rule any longer just flagrant right? Has anyone seen the Louisville center shoot underhand? It seems to be working for him. He went 3-4 last night.

Reaction Score
Can't blame a team for employing a strategy that works. Kid needs to keep practicing until he gets to a point where it's not a viable strategy anymore

Reaction Score
Can't blame a team for employing a strategy that works. Kid needs to keep practicing until he gets to a point where it's not a viable strategy anymore

I agree but let's be honest, tackling any basketball player away from the ball intentionally is not basketball, strategy or not. It should come with a penalty to the fouling team.

Reaction Score
I agree but let's be honest, tackling any basketball player away from the ball intentionally is not basketball, strategy or not. It should come with a penalty to the fouling team.
As far as I'm aware it's not (and never has been) a very widespread problem in the NBA, so I don't think they need to change any rules. I was listening to a pregame interview with Brad Stevens before the Celtics played the Pistons a few weeks back and even he said he'd probably consider using the hack-a-Drummond method if they were down late because he's just that bad at free throws. And Stevens isn't a gimmicky coach.

The strategy doesn't really even work if the person you're fouling can reasonably be expected to make 1 out of 2 most times they're at the line. Fact is, Drummond misses both a staggering amount. It's the only thing holding him back from being a true superstar talent.

It's mostly a mental problem too. It's become a self-fulfilling prophesy for him. He should work with a hypnotist or something.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Stupid.

But Andre seriously needs to figure out how to get to 50%.

Reaction Score
It's the way big men grow up basically being physically more dominate so never having to shoot. If you don't have to shoot to be better you don't have to practice, if you don't practice shooting you'll never get better. Once these players get to the NBA its essentially too late for them to become a better free throw shooter. (see:shaq)
That may be true for some, but come on, Drummond is 22. He has time.

Reaction Score
When he jumps he has touch on his shot, so what about a jump shot at the foul line? Remember Hal Greer?

Reaction Score

Crazy Stat of Day: Andre Drummond missed more FT (23) last night than Steph Curry has missed all season (22).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom