OT: A brief essay on the New England Patriots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A brief essay on the New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on what has Carroll said, (and I think he is as straight forward as anyone else in professional sports so I am taking him at his word) I think it was a reasonable if somewhat chancy call. The majority of the time the Seahawks will make that play - Butler made an outstanding move on the ball but I didn't think the receiver ran the route as well as he could have, giving Butler that chance.

If the pass had been completed, would it still have been the worst call in the history of the Super Bowl?

It was a brain-dead call- his logic made no sense. Congrats to the Pats.

With that call- he deserves what he gets. Ironic - that Seahawks won because Packers went super-conservative and gave the game away - a game they were about to win. Now Seattle loses because the coach lost his sanity - takes away the game they were about to win.

Just can't say enough about the interception. Great play by "The Young Pat" D-Back.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I'm sure they cheated. ;)

Probably used mind control or something. You know how Belichick is. :D

I think the Patsies hacked the Seahawks comm system and called the play. It's the only logical explanation for such an insane call:)

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
This is a very belated question about a key play in this amazing game but I'll ask it anyway. Prior to the game-deciding interception by Malcolm Butler, Jermaine Kearse made an incredible catch near the sideline. Here's how the play was described in the Boston Globe:

"The Seahawks rushed to the line of scrimmage, snapped the ball with 1:14 on the clock, and Wilson heaved up a jump ball toward Jermaine Kearse. Butler was in perfect position and outjumped Kearse for the football, but when the two fell to the ground, the ball hit Kearse’s left shin, then his right knee, then his right hand, and then he caught it while rolling over at the 6-yard line."

"Safety Duron Harmon jumped over the two players on the ground, not realizing the ball was still in play. Kearse alertly got back to his feet and tried to run, but Butler pushed him out of bounds at the 5."

When I watched a rerun of the play several times and in slow motion, I can only assume that Harmon must have assumed it was an incomplete pass when he jumped over Kearse who was on the ground with the ball bouncing around. On such a critical play, why did Harmon not dive on top of Kearse to ensure that there was no completion? If he had done just that, would the ref have flagged him for a late hit with accompanying penalty? Just asking.

Reaction Score
When I watched a rerun of the play several times and in slow motion, I can only assume that (1) Harmon must have assumed it was an incomplete pass when he jumped over Kearse who was on the ground with the ball bouncing around. On such a critical play, (2) why did Harmon not dive on top of Kearse to ensure that there was no completion? If he had done just that, would the ref have flagged him for a late hit with accompanying penalty? Just asking.
(1) That is my assumption
(2) Great question! My answer is a) I guess he had no reason to jump on him if he thought it was incomplete, but b) a late hit might have ensured it WAS incomplete, and would have only been a 15 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage. So, in all likelihood, we wouldn't have all this controversy about the play call 2 plays later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom