OT: A brief essay on the New England Patriots | The Boneyard

OT: A brief essay on the New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Man! That was a hallelujah of a game. I loved it! Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! I loved it.............

Reaction Score
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!
When that defender for the Patriots deflected that pass in the waning seconds of the game and the receiver was on the ground and the ball hit off one of their feet and just settled on the receivers body where he eventually gained control before the ball hit the ground for a completion almost reminded me of previous losses in the Super Bowl where a ridiculous and unexpected completion in the last minute or two spelled doom for Patriot teams that had carried a lead late into the fourth quarter. All I could think of was, NOT AGAIN! To lose a game on a lucky catch AGAIN would have made me nuts but thankfully, Seattle did a dumb thing and decided to pass the ball while at the goal line and thankfully, the Patriots intercepted. Brady played a heckuva game as did Edelman and Gronk and that interception was a great play by a rookie with very little experience. Great win for our guys!

Reaction Score
They got unlucky, then lucky. They deserved to win.
Only spoiled by the brawl.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Had to be the BEST Super Bowl. There have been plenty of duds but this one lived up to all the hype. Go Pats!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Second and goal at the one. Marshawn Lynch in the backfield. Plenty of time for two plays, if necessary. And you THROW the ball? What possible mental processes could have led to that decision?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Second and goal at the one. Marshawn Lynch in the backfield. Plenty of time for two plays, if necessary. And you THROW the ball? What possible mental processes could have led to that decision?

I can only think of two possibilities:

1. Given how close Lynch got on first down, the Seahawks assumed the Pats would assume a run, so a pass play would have them scrambling and vulnerable.

2. They wanted the ball in Russel Wilson's hands because he's a winner and deserved to win the game.

Nevertheless, I repeat:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
That was a great play by Kearse (sure made my stomach drop) but I think this one is even better!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"OK, tell you what we are going to do; we are going to fake them out of their jocks. We are going to run a play so unexpected, so bizarre, so contrary to common sense or even uncommon seuse that no sane person would possibly call it. We are gonna throw a slant pass right over the bunched-up middle of the line. They will be so bunfuzzled they will probably just drop dead on the spot."

Reaction Score
"OK, tell you what we are going to do; we are going to fake them out of their jocks. We are going to run a play so unexpected, so bizarre, so contrary to common sense or even uncommon seuse that no sane person would possibly call it. We are gonna throw a slant pass right over the bunched-up middle of the line. They will be so bunfuzzled they will probably just drop dead on the spot."
It was suggested by some dufus in the media today that Pete Carroll called a pass instead of a run so Russell Wilson could be Super Bowl MVP instead of Marshawn Lynch

Reaction Score
That call rivals the infamous "The Fumble" call when the Giants handed the ball off to Larry Csonka instead of just taking a knee. Obviollsy this was one of the most brain-dead calls in the history of sports.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You do have to wonder though if this play call was sooo bizarre, soooo unexpected, how where the Patriots prepared for it??

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
They were prepared for Lynch to run it up the middle. When the pass just happened to go up the middle..... (Butler did say that he caught a clue from Wilson's eye movements before the fatal snap.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They were prepared for Lynch to run it up the middle. When the pass just happened to go up the middle..... (Butler did say that he caught a clue from Wilson's eye movements before the fatal snap.)
Actually they had 3 CB's in the game looking for a pass. It's one of their goal line packages. They matched up with the Seahawks personnel. They have a different defensive package if the other team is in a power run package.

Butler also said he had seen the play in film sessions, he said he knew they were going to run the pick play.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I stand corrected, although how they could have anticipated anything but a Lynch run is beyond me. :) Belichick is never going to be named Mr. Congeniality, but under that hoodie lurks a tremendous football mind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I stand corrected, although how they could have anticipated anything but a Lynch run is beyond me.
I'm sure they cheated. ;)

Probably used mind control or something. You know how Belichick is. :D

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Based on what has Carroll said, (and I think he is as straight forward as anyone else in professional sports so I am taking him at his word) I think it was a reasonable if somewhat chancy call. The majority of the time the Seahawks will make that play - Butler made an outstanding move on the ball but I didn't think the receiver ran the route as well as he could have, giving Butler that chance.

If the pass had been completed, would it still have been the worst call in the history of the Super Bowl?

Reaction Score
Based on what has Carroll said, (and I think he is as straight forward as anyone else in professional sports so I am taking him at his word) I think it was a reasonable if somewhat chancy call. The majority of the time the Seahawks will make that play - Butler made an outstanding move on the ball but I didn't think the receiver ran the route as well as he could have, giving Butler that chance.

If the pass had been completed, would it still have been the worst call in the history of the Super Bowl?
Yes, because then the Patriots would have lost :D

Reaction Score
Actually they had 3 CB's in the game looking for a pass. It's one of their goal line packages. They matched up with the Seahawks personnel. They have a different defensive package if the other team is in a power run package.

Butler also said he had seen the play in film sessions, he said he knew they were going to run the pick play.
He also said he got beat in practice that week on the same play - they were expecting it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm sure they cheated. ;)

Probably used mind control or something. You know how Belichick is. :D

He does sort of have the look of a medieval necromancer about him, with that hoodie and all. Wouldn't surprise me one damn bit.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Belichick on why the Patriots won: "We have Tom Brady and you don't !"

We also have Malcolm Butler. (mine)

Reaction Score
Belichick on why the Patriots won: "We have Tom Brady and you don't !"

We also have Malcolm Butler. (mine)
I think it's cool that Brady is giving Malcolm Butler his MVP truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics