OT: 3 favorite public CT golf courses | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: 3 favorite public CT golf courses

Reaction Score
I am a very short distance player anyways so that sounds like a dream. I could probably use my driver on most holes then
Last suggestion; a good day trip in the summer mid week is Rockport Golf Club. Its a 9 hole course, super fun, can only play during the week. Rockport in general is an awesome place to go for food, shopping and water and the course is the best semi-public course in the Gloucester/Rockport/Essex area that you can get on (unless you're lucky enough to play Bass Rocks)

Reaction Score
If we think MA courses here too:

Pine Hills (both)
The Ranch
Waverly Oaks
Blackstone National
Kettlebrook

Reaction Score
Love Wintonbury but I think you're the first person I've ever heard of who prefers the Lyman-Player over Jones. Player is all blind shots and hills.

I also suck so that may detract from the enjoyment

I prefer Player. Takes some getting used to but I like the layout.

Reaction Score
I'd play Cougar Point in Kiawah anytime. Have never played GlenArbor but heard it's good.
I’ll try them if I ever make make my way there. My GP sample size is small, but same impression each time.

Reaction Score
Lyman Jones is a good track no target golf at all. Player is target and not a fan. But grew up on Jones and until they built Player that was one of the best public courses in CT no doubt. It’s not as nice as it was in the 80s though as they have paid less attention to it.
Yeah, the condition was a big deal. I played there last year for the first time in many years, and was disappointed that they let it slide. It was great in the early 80s.

Reaction Score
It wasn't Amy or Tia who bought it, it was the other daughter. This article weirdly just popped up on my Facebook from Amy...

Stonybrook clubhouse taking on new look | Litchfield.bz
Ah, last I knew Jill (and husband) were at Falmouth CC. Guess coming back home to run their own place made more sense.

Those 10’ windows are where we watched the tornado from. It dropped just over the hill in Bantam center (1991?). Did a lot of damage.

Reaction Score
Ah, last I knew Jill (and husband) were at Falmouth CC. Guess coming back home to run their own place made more sense.

Those 10’ windows are where we watched the tornado from. It dropped just over the hill in Bantam center (1991?). Did a lot of damage.
Was '89. Year before I was born.

My parents lived in Cornwall on Great Hill and were very close to the path.

Reaction Score
Was '89. Year before I was born.

My parents lived in Cornwall on Great Hill and were very close to the path.
89-91… long time ago. I should have looked it up. This was the tornado that dropped in multiple places that day. From northwest all the way down near the coastline.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Keney
Oxford
Rockledge

Lyman is very nice but eats me alive so I avoid it.

Reaction Score
Played there a few weeks ago when visiting (also a Fl resident now) conditions were crap, but course seemed to be very nice
Dang that's sad, it was always very well managed the 5 or so years I was playing it consistently. I miss having decent courses around for cheap rates, that's not too feasible here around Fort Lauderdale.

Reaction Score
Keney
Oxford
Rockledge

Lyman is very nice but eats me alive so I avoid it.
Keney and Rockledge are great. Haven't played Rockledge this year but was impressed with how well they keep it and the roll and consistency of the greens.

Lyman (Jones) is the same for me - nice course and I play a lot of the holes pretty well, but I've had so many bad blow-ups while playing there

Reaction Score
Anyone have any recommendations for a not ridiculously hard course to start out with from these? Just getting into golf and played for the first time last weekend, so want to get out more over the next few months.

I'm on the NY/CT border so in that range

Reaction Score
Anyone have any recommendations for a not ridiculously hard course to start out with from these? Just getting into golf and played for the first time last weekend, so want to get out more over the next few months.

Besides course selection.. Best advice for beginning golfers--esp. if they've had success in other sports.. Is to get lessons from a teaching pro that you can relate to and improve with early in your quest to be a decent golfer. Will minimize your frustrations/challenges.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Sunset Hill in Brookfield. Nobody will care if you're not any good because nobody is any good there, lol. They don't call it "Helmet Hill" for nothing. Nine holes = $19.

Reaction Score
Sunset Hill in Brookfield. Nobody will care if you're not any good because nobody is any good there, lol. They don't call it "Helmet Hill" for nothing. Nine holes = $19.
That's exactly what I need lol. Walked out to the 1st hole last week for my first round and the starter says it's the toughest of the 27 holes they have, so I was straight into the fire

Reaction Score

I would start with Sterling in Stamford; if you're a Stamford resident it is decently priced, not terribly hard and pace of play is always excellent. Much better than Brennan IMO, especially after the stupid redesign (there was nothing wrong with the routing, I will die on this hill).
If you're truly just learning, don't spend 50+ on a round. Get to the range often (again, Sterling has a good range) and find a club you consistently can hit straight; SW CT courses are generally long, straight, and run parallel to other holes so if you're spraying the ball you're gonna have a bad time

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Can only speak for courses I've played.

Shenny, Keney, and Wintonbury.

Reaction Score
If we think MA courses here too:

Pine Hills (both)
The Ranch
Waverly Oaks
Blackstone National
Kettlebrook
Big YES to top 3. Waverly is OK, and have heard of Blackstone only from Mass Pike signage... never heard of Kettlebrook. What about course that was at Fort Devins (not sure what it is now)? Lots of decent Cape courses too. Oh, almost forgot Crumpin-Fox!

Reaction Score
It’s been a few years but there’s a little pitch and putt up in NH called the Shattuck. Excellent for beginners

Reaction Score
It's been a while. I know we played 18 and my brother and I both thought the course was raw, but you could see where it had a lot of potential. My brother and I were in the midlle of a golf spree. He had come up from Virginia for my parents 35th wedding anniversary and stayed a week. We played Fairview Farms, Lyman Orchards, Stonybrook, Crestbrook, Manchester CC, Minnechaug, Canaan and a few others.
The course like I said was very 'raw' but it was still fun. Not that I'm great now, but I hadn't played that much golf in my life at that point. I have three distinct memories about that day. First, I had the longst putt of my life on one of the greens there. Second, my brother betting me on a par 3, hitting it about 12-15 feet. Then sticking a long 9 iron 2 feet from the hole. and finally hitting a drive that hit a single over hanging branch. The ball went straight down into this little mini gorge. Then hearing the knock of the ball hitting a rock and my ball coming back up and going about 30 yards down the cener of the fairway on the otherside of the mini gorge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom