OT: 2016 NBA Draft Early Entrants | The Boneyard

OT: 2016 NBA Draft Early Entrants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see who takes advantage of the new rule that allows players to withdraw their names 10 days after NBA combine and return to school.

So far...

Gone for good:
Ben Simmons (LSU)
Cat Barber (NC State)
DeAndre Bembry (St. Joe's)
Dejounte Murray (Washington)
Devin Williams (WVU)
Kareem Canty (Auburn)
Kris Dunn (PC)
Malik Beasley (FSU)
Marquese Chriss (Washington)
Stephen Zimmerman (UNLV)
Tim Quarterman (LSU)
Tony Anderson (SE Missouri State)
Wayne Selden (Kansas)

Testing the waters
Abdul Malik-Abu (NC State)
Ben Bentil (PC)
Caleb Swanigan (Purdue)
Cheick Diallo (KU)
Chinanu Onuaku (Louisville)
Damian Jones (Vanderbilt)
Daniel Hamilton (UConn)
Dedric Lawson (Memphis)
Demetrius Jackson (Notre Dame)
Dwayne Bacon (FSU) - returning to school
Isaiah Whitehead (Seton Hall)
Jalen Moore (Utah State)
Jaron Blossomgame (Clemson)
Makai Mason (Yale)
Malik Newman (Miss State)
Monte Morris (Iowa State)
Peter Jok (Iowa)
Que Johnson (Washington State)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Makai Mason? Talk about crazy, wow. Kids a nice player but please.

Wish a kid like Malik Beasley would say one more year at least, kids loaded with talent but don't think he's quite ready, but what do I know huh?

Reaction Score
Makai Mason? Talk about crazy, wow. Kids a nice player but please.

Wish a kid like Malik Beasley would say one more year at least, kids loaded with talent but don't think he's quite ready, but what do I know huh?
Seems the intention is to return to school: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/03/21/yale-makai-mason-declaring-2016-nba-draft

“We want to take advantage of that new rule, show people beyond the Ivy League what he’s capable of,” Mason’s father Dan told Thamel.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Dunn is leaving early like Kemba left early. He's graduating. And really, he's too good to be a grad transfer. Nothing more to do in college.
The real one to watch for PC is Bentil. He probably could leave right now and be a 1st rounder.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The real one to watch for PC is Bentil. He probably could leave right now and be a 1st rounder.

I agree. That Euro-big style is really valuable.

caw

Reaction Score
Dunn is leaving early like Kemba left early. He's graduating. And really, he's too good to be a grad transfer. Nothing more to do in college.

Dunn is in the same academic class as Omar Calhoun. He's not leaving early like Kemba. He's just not extending his college career to a fifth year.

Reaction Score
The Ben Simmons thing is a perfect example of why it makes no sense to make these kids go to college if they don't want to. Doesn't he damage their APR by not leaving in good academic standing or do I misunderstand how that works? Anyway, he had no intention of spending one more minute in school than it took to get through the season so why even bother?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Dunn is in the same academic class as Omar Calhoun. He's not leaving early like Kemba. He's just not extending his college career to a fifth year.

I just meant that Kemba didn't exactly leave early either. He left when he graduated. That was my point.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Love the kids game, a local somewhat for me in WesMass from Greenfield, what a find for Yale.
The amount of talent coming out of New England over the past 8 years, and especially the past 3 or 4, is just staggering. Only Chicago, New York & LA have produced more, and even that is debatable.

Just from this year, here's your New England-bred All-Star team:
C: Auguste (ND)
PF: Niang (Iowa State)
SF: Layman (Maryland)
SG: Selden (Kansas)
PG: Dunn (PC)

Bench: Abu (NC State), Colson (ND), Adams (UConn), Mason (Yale), Mitchell (Louisville), Terrell (URI)

That team wins a title.

Hopefully KO continues to beat the bushes locally, especially for the class of 2017. Getting MAL & Jermaine Samuels would be a great local haul.

Reaction Score
The Ben Simmons case is Exhibit A for why the UK-style of 1-and-done is a joke. Here's a kid who had absolutely no interest in being a college student, not even going through the motions to finish his freshman year. Barely any repercussions for that.

Meanwhile, we're punished for kids who complete full years at the school and, for reasons unrelated to academic difficulties, transfer to another school to finish their degree.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Wonder if LSU's APR will take a tourney-ban level hit. They'll probably just ban themselves when they know there could be trouble, like everyone else does. Or maybe their poor play will just ban them?

Reaction Score
That was my takeaway after watching the Carolina game as well, Bentil looked like a serious NBA prospect. But not sure if that's just one game. Dunn also looked very good - I assume he's a PG in NBA and for that reason I'd put him right there with Buddy Hield (scoring guard in nba) in terms of draft order and likelihood of success.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That was my takeaway after watching the Carolina game as well, Bentil looked like a serious NBA prospect. But not sure if that's just one game. Dunn also looked very good - I assume he's a PG in NBA and for that reason I'd put him right there with Buddy Hield (scoring guard in nba) in terms of draft order and likelihood of success.
I watched PC 3-4 times this year, Bentil looked like their best player. Came out of nowhere, too.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Kris is going to be a surefire All-Star. He's going to really flourish at the next level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Next Russell Westbrook.
While he has the athleticism and motor of Russel Westbrook I think he is much more of a pure PG than he is and even better on the defensive end. I was thinking Rajon Rondo with a better jumper and motor.

Reaction Score
While he has the athleticism and motor of Russel Westbrook I think he is much more of a pure PG than he is and even better on the defensive end. I was thinking Rajon Rondo with a better jumper and motor.
I do not agree that he has the athleticism or motor of Westbrook, but Westbrook is a total freak even when compared to other NBA players. He's definitely a more pure point guard and a beast defensively. I'll be curious to see how much his shot improves, as that will be key in determining the level he gets to in the NBA.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I do not agree that he has the athleticism or motor of Westbrook, but Westbrook is a total freak even when compared to other NBA players. He's definitely a more pure point guard and a beast defensively. I'll be curious to see how much his shot improves, as that will be key in determining the level he gets to in the NBA.
Yeah, comparing anyone to Westbrook athletically is a no-fly zone for me.

I think Wall - lanky, springy, a blur moving down the court - is a better shout. Dunn probably has better vision coming out of college, but Wall's a more natural scorer and is deadly from the midrange.

I'll be rooting for Dunn. Nice to see Connecticut kids do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom