Oscar noms quick survey | The Boneyard

Oscar noms quick survey

Reaction Score
How many of the best picture nominees have you seen?

Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge (wow, is Mel back in good graces?!), Hell or Highwater (never even heard of it!), Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight.

I'm 0 for 9 but bad example as only movies I've seen in theaters this year are with kids. Intend to take them to Hidden Figures. I suspect most folks have seen 3 or less.

Reaction Score
Seen La La Land and hell or Highwater. Liked both a lot. Hell or Highwater a modern day western with Jeff Bridges. Go check that one out.

Reaction Score
Saw the following:

1. Hell or Highwater
2. Arrival
3. Hidden Figures
4. Manchester by the Sea

All are good. Hell or Highwater was particularly good. Seemed interesting when I read the description on RedBox, so for $1.60, I said "What the Heck, Let's Try It".
Hidden Figures was best of the remaining group. Manchester by the Sea is good but overrated as is Arrival.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We've seen La La Land, Fences, Arrival, Hidden Figures, and Manchester By The Sea.

All very good. Very different from each other. Still want to see Hacksaw Ridge and Lion.

Reaction Score
More than I expected. Is there still a distinction at theater vs not ? I wonder how many years we are away from theaters becoming obsolete.
Will add Hell or Highwater to my to see list.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Saw Hell or Highwater. Very good. Recommended. Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine are both good.

Will get Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures on DVD/BR, and honestly don't have an interest in the others.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
More than I expected. Is there still a distinction at theater vs not ? I wonder how many years we are away from theaters becoming obsolete.
Will add Hell or Highwater to my to see list.

The last thing on earth I'm going to go to the cinema to see is some long, slow drama. Rogue One, sure. Fantastic Beasts, sure. Star Trek...always. Any Marvel comic film...absolutely. Any movie that is dialogue heavy and short on action is better suited to home viewing.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Arrival (Thought it was good not great)
Hacksaw Ridge (Loved it)
Hell or Highwater (Thought it was really good.)
Hidden Figures (Loved it)

Reaction Score
Saw Manchester by the Sea. Thought it was very good, not great. Casey Affleck does a really nice job at times with layers and layers of character, but also slips into "the guy from Good Will Hunting" too often....mainly because that just kinda is who he is.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have seen Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea and Fences. Couldn't make it through Fences. Didn't buy Denzel's character--seemed more like a caricature. I've had that problem with him at times before.

Moonlight was very interesting and well acted and it's a very humane and moving film. But it's a small film and people need to know that so they don't expect too much.

I loved Manchester by the Sea. Best of the ones I've seen so far but I want to see La La Land. It's tragic but incredibly moving. I think Affleck, Williams and the kid all deserve their noms. Glad to see the kid get recognized.

Reaction Score
I really liked Arrival and enjoyed Hell or Highwater. Heard Manchester By the Sea is great and La La Land ok. I used to see all the screeners by now until the government shut down kick *ss torrents.

Reaction Score
I just saw Hell or High Water. Great movie, with a wonderfully charismatic performance by Jeff Bridges that just steals the show. I thought Bridges was one of the leads of the film, but the Academy saw fit to nominate him as a Supporting Actor.

Reaction Score
Saw Manchester by the Sea. Thought it was very good, not great. Casey Affleck does a really nice job at times with layers and layers of character, but also slips into "the guy from Good Will Hunting" too often....mainly because that just kinda is who he is.
I really like him in Gone Baby Gone, but not as much as in the Ocean's films and Affleck's Dunkin Donuts SNL skit may be the best work he's done.

Watch Dunkin' Donuts from Saturday Night Live on NBC.com

Reaction Score
How many of the best picture nominees have you seen?

Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge (wow, is Mel back in good graces?!), Hell or Highwater (never even heard of it!), Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight.

I'm 0 for 9 but bad example as only movies I've seen in theaters this year are with kids. Intend to take them to Hidden Figures. I suspect most folks have seen 3 or less.

I saw Hell or High Water. It's from the same writers as Sicario. Very uhhhh timely. Good movie and has super high ratings from everywhere.

Arrival was really good. Original story, kind of mindbender too. I hope this one wins but it will probably be La La Land or Manchester by the Sea which I have not seen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw Hidden Figures this weekend with the whole family and we all liked it a lot. Especially great movie if you have daughters.

Surprised to see it beat out Manchester By The Sea and Moonlight at the SAG awards last night though. It's a lot more Hollywood than those two, and I thought they each had better acting performances than Hidden Figures.

And I don't get the Fences love.

Reaction Score
Wow...just saw Hacksaw Ridge. Amazing. No idea how you can compare to a movie like La La Land, just so different. Really good batch of nominees this year

Reaction Score
I watched Dirty Grandpa last night. Good Deniro, and Aubrey Plaza was off the hook.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just saw Arrival.

Terrific movie. The ending is kind of an emotional triphammer.

I don't know how Amy Adams doesn't get nominated for that role.

Reaction Score
Just saw Arrival.

Terrific movie. The ending is kind of an emotional triphammer.

I don't know how Amy Adams doesn't get nominated for that role.
Were you in my living room bro? Wife and I just finished it 20 minutes ago. Pretty darn great movie. Our newborn has made it hard to get out to the theaters and watch much of the rest of these (dang inconsiderate baby) but I'm intent on catching up on DVD. Hell or High Water is next on the list for my day off.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's funny - I actually rented it last night and rewatched it again tonight because one line bugged me the first time around. (It didn't make sense originally, but I had the context wrong.)

I really liked the movie. It was just good storytelling and they didn't try to cheat on the 'twist' ending.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Arrival was good, but I truly hate movies that start with what is basically the ending, and then they begin to tell the story. Every time I saw Amy Adams on screen the only thing I think of was
why don't they just push her in? She going die anyways.

Same with movies that jump around (two days ago, then present day, etc.). With an incredibly short attention span, I miss pieces, and I can't follow what's going on.

You have no idea how messed up at was trying to watch pulp fiction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arrival was good, but I truly hate movies that start with what is basically the ending, and then they begin to tell the story. Every time I saw Amy Adams on screen the only thing I think of was
why don't they just push her in? She going die anyways.

Same with movies that jump around (two days ago, then present day, etc.). With an incredibly short attention span, I miss pieces, and I can't follow what's going on.

You have no idea how messed up at was trying to watch pulp fiction.
To whom are you referring to in your spoiler?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
To whom are you referring to in your spoiler?

"Every time I saw Amy Adams on screen the only thing I think of was " Spoiler"

I didn't want to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
"Every time I saw Amy Adams on screen the only thing I think of was " Spoiler"

I didn't want to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

Edit: Apparently I had the ending wrong. Please watch. Everyone lives happily ever after. I still think the beginning sucks.

Reaction Score
Tried to watch Midnight yesterday. Turned it off maybe 30-40 minutes in. Still don't know what the point of the movie is supposed to be. Really slow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom