Oregon vs Notre Dame - 3/26/18 | The Boneyard

Oregon vs Notre Dame - 3/26/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Should be quite a game..............I'm giving ND the slight advantage but this one could go either way..................kind of hoping ND wins as I think Oregon might be more difficult to defend................

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That’s not a tough call. How many triple doubles does Mabrey have in her career?

Ionescu has the D-1 triple-doubles record. Does that mean she's the best player of all time?
thinking-face_1f914.png

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu will outplay Marina Mabrey!!! But it's will be a great game.

Should be a good matchup to watch. Ionescu does more for her team than Marina, but Mabrey is playing excellent basketball and is a lights out shooter who can get her shot off against almost anyone. Both are outstanding passers. Marina struggles ballhandling against quick guards, but I don’t see Oregon using pressure against her. If Ionescu has a monster night, edge to Oregon.

Big matchup inside to watch for is Shepard vs Hebard. If Shepard can keep up with Hebard, I think Notre Dame has the advantage.

Neither team is particularly strong defensively, and both schools play great offense so it should be a lot of fun to watch. I think Oregon will pull away, but you can’t ever count out ND in games like this. Should be the most competitive regional final game this year.

Reaction Score
This one is a tossup...both coaches top notch...both teams high achievers...

Reaction Score
Ionescu has the D-1 triple-doubles record. Does that mean she's the best player of all time?

Seeing that she secured that record early into her sophomore season and is now up to 10 triple doubles (and several near misses including her last game), when it’s all said and done, an argument could easily be made as all time best guard. You’re probably trying to get me into trouble with the UConn-faithful, but an argument could be made. On paper, she’s not on the all time best team, but her being on the team helps make them possibly Final Four worthy.

But since we weren’t comparing her to an all time best player but rather Mabrey, it seems an easy call that Ionescu will outplay Mabrey... no matter how you want to reason it.

Here’s some tournament notes on Ionescu.

IONESCU SHINES IN THE TOURNAMENT
Sabrina Ionescu has been on another level through three games of the NCAA Tournament. The All-American is averaging 21.3 points, 8.7 rebounds and 10 assists so far in the tournament with just seven total turnovers.
- In the first round against Seattle U, the sophomore tallied her 10th career triple-double and the 16th triple-double in NCAA Tournament history with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists. She did it in just 29 minutes.
- Ionescu again played only 29 minutes in a second round win over Minnesota, when she set the UO NCAA Tournament record with 29 points. She also posted seven rebounds and nine assists.
- In the Sweet 16 against Central Michigan, Ionescu scored 16 points to go with nine rebounds and 10 assists, just shy of another triple-double.

IONESCU BREAKS PAC-12 ASSISTS RECORD
With her fourth of nine assists against Minnesota on March 18, Sabrina Ionescu broke the Pac-12 single-season assists record. The sophomore's fourth assist gave her 279 on the season. Arizona's Brenda Pantoja previously held the record with 278 assists in 1995-96. Pantoja is currently a Pac-12 referee. Ionescu now has 294 assists this season. She needs 319 to move into the top-10 in the NCAA single-season record book.

IONESCU AND VANDERSLOOT
Sabrina Ionescu is 23 assists away from having 500+ career assists and 1000+ career points in her second collegiate season. The only player in NCAA history have 2000+ points and 1000+ career assists is Gonzaga's Courtney Vandersloot, who also played point guard under Kelly Graves. Ionescu is also just 31 rebounds away from reaching 500 in her short career.

IONESCU A FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN
After being named Pac-12 player of the year and Pac-12 Tournament MVP, sophomore Sabrina Ionescu continued to collect more accolades when both USA Today and ESPNW named her a first team All-American. Ionescu is Oregon's first first team All-America selection since Bev Smith (WBCA) in 1982.

Reaction Score
I’m not a believer in ND. I think Oregon pulls it off tonight but I’m worried about their defense. PAC 12 teams haven’t fared well in Elite 8 thus far.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You’re probably trying to get me into trouble with the UConn-faithful

Nah, mostly just poking fun at your reasoning.

Though I do encourage you to make a post here that says "Ionescu is obviously better than Katie Lou. How many triple-doubles does Katie Lou have?"

Ionescu is of course a better player than Mabrey and she'll likely rack up a bigger stat line as ND's production will be more spread out. Not contesting that.

Personally, I'd take another 25 pts, 9 ast, 0 reb (her A&M stat line) and rely on the others to get the boards.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Going to give Oregon the edge because of Location. If game were near ND I'd give them the edge. Also the way this game is called is going to be critical.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Big matchup inside to watch for is Shepard vs Hebard. If Shepard can keep up with Hebard, I think Notre Dame has the advantage.

Agree this is a key matchup. I can't see any way Shepard is going to be able to keep up w/ Hebard. She's quick and high energy. Shepard has been effective for ND but I think Hebard will run her off the court.

Reaction Score
thinking-face_1f914.png
not yet, but as I wrote on another thread: she will be the best player in the world within a couple of years. And if Geno had coached her, she'd have a chance to be the best guard of all time (I'm completely serious: she's potentially as good as D).

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Going to give Oregon the edge because of Location. If game were near ND I'd give them the edge. Also the way this game is called is going to be critical.
Agreed.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Mabry went 7/11 on threes on Saturday. That means she is due for 1/11 today. And Ionescu is an elemental force. Gotta go with the Mighty Ducks.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agree this is a key matchup. I can't see any way Shepard is going to be able to keep up w/ Hebard. She's quick and high energy. Shepard has been effective for ND but I think Hebard will run her off the court.

I think Shepard can hang with her. She's extremely savvy and makes up for quickness in other areas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Banking on the experience factor, I think Muffet makes just enough adjustments (2 or 3) to win this game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Shepard can hang with her. She's extremely savvy and makes up for quickness in other areas.

IIRC Shepard struggled quite a bit in the matchup w/ UConn's bigs. There are some limits to what you can make up for w/ savvy. Hebard is really good, she's torn apart a bunch of teams this year. I think she has a big edge in this game.

There's also conditioning. Hebard is fairly relentless, I think Shepard is gonna be gassed by late in the game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
IIRC Shepard struggled quite a bit in the matchup w/ UConn's bigs. There are some limits to what you can make up for w/ savvy. Hebard is really good, she's torn apart a bunch of teams this year. I think she has a big edge in this game.

There's also conditioning. Hebard is fairly relentless, I think Shepard is gonna be gassed by late in the game.

Excited to see how it plays out. Optimistic for a very high scoring game.

Reaction Score
I picked ND to win! If Oregon wins, imo Kia is to quick for Sabrina! Nobody defends like Nurse does!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom