Oregon Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Oregon Postgame Thread

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She really had a nice career at USC. Many didn't notice because USC was fairly irrelevant. I've actually been surprised she hasn't scored a little more for Oregon, but she's playing nasty defense and has enjoyed having Hebard to dish the ball to almost as much as Ionescu does. I'm not really sure if it's a net loss or net gain compared to having Cazorla in a similar role, but it's close enough to not really be a set back.
I didn't pay attention, was her career at USC better than her sister's at Louisville?
If Oregon wins the championship this season it will be the 4th consecutive year where a transfer has had a major impact in winning a championship.
South Carolina-Davis & Gray
ND-Shepard
Baylor-Chloe Jackson
Oregon-Moore or Baylor-Cooper

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah another graduate transfer that killed us just like Chloe Jackson did last year and yet Evina rides the pines...
Evina was not a graduate transfer, Moore, Cooper, Jackson & Evelyn Adebayo were. That's a huge difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Moore played AAU basketball in 2015 on the same Cal Stars Nike Elite team with Ionescu, Tudor, Decosta, and McGuire that won the Nike EYBL national title. She knew what life would be like playing with Ionescu and understood that she would need to be a willing passer and offensive spacer in the Oregon offensive system. Credit Moore for being willing to change her game to seek a chance to win a national title as a grad transfer.

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
This offense has little movement and almost no synchronization. I am not going to argue where a player should be to start a set because I don‘t know. ... But the fact is Makurat moves without the ball more than any other Uconn player and doesn’t see the ball nearly as much as she should. She is by far the best passer on this team and . . . I think Makurat should run this offense and I have seen nothing to change my mind. One of the obvious deficiencies of the Uconn offense is that the ball “stops” whenever Walker, Williams and to a lesser extent because they see it less, Ono and Griffin touch it. They are all players who do not have quick ball movement in their games.

In his post-game interview, and on many occasions before, Geno has been frustrated by the lack of movement of both ball and players. Littlemin's comments start from the same point. I, too, have noticed, especially as I replay games and can stop and rewind and re-view action, that yes, the ball does stop much more once its in Walker's or Williams' hands, much more so than when Crystal or Anna have the ball. Why?-- because both Crystal and Anna have better court vision and seem to know what to do with the ball before they get it. Megan gets a pass, and only then looks to see what or who is open. Christyn also does not seem to "read" the floor, the defense, or her teammates' locations "before" getting the ball. And she tends too often to start to dribble without any plan for what she's going to do with it. Megan seems to have a kind of tunnel vision that gets her dribbling into crowds without knowing where she might find a teammate open. Result: steals and held balls and shots in heavy traffic. And dribbling, btw, is the slowest way of moving the ball from place to place, player to player. For years, announcers marvelled at the way the UConn offense moved the ball without it once touching the floor.

A Boneyard poster (sorry, can't remember who) observed that Anna seems to know what to do with the ball before she gets it. That's court sense, that's court vision, and it's essential to swift ball movement, also a UConn hallmark.

Give credit to Megan for the way she dedicated herself to becoming a more powerful athlete, and that has paid off in her rebounding and strength on defense agains taller opponents. If she will refine and expand her court vision and awareness, she can help her teammates and find better openings for her shots. Christyn can make more efficient use of her physical skills at both ends of the court by building vision and awareness of where the ball and her teammates are; that will allow her to make quicker and more effective decisions.

This is not an easy game; the challenge for both of these young, promising players is to elevate their mental games to the same level as their physical skills. I think their lack of progress in that area is what has so frustrated Geno. I'm also sure that both Megan and Christyn feel frustrated and guilty about their 5 of 25 shooting. Move the ball, shots will open— for them and their teammates—and shooting percentages will rise, even agains the best teams.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Moore played AAU basketball in 2015 on the same Cal Stars Nike Elite team with Ionescu, Tudor, Decosta, and McGuire that won the Nike EYBL national title. She knew what life would be like playing with Ionescu and understood that she would need to be a willing passer and offensive spacer in the Oregon offensive system. Credit Moore for being willing to change her game to seek a chance to win a national title as grad transfer.
I believe Evina Westbrook was on that team also. I saw them at Boo Williams that year.

Reaction Score
She really had a nice career at USC. Many didn't notice because USC was fairly irrelevant. I've actually been surprised she hasn't scored a little more for Oregon, but she's playing nasty defense and has enjoyed having Hebard to dish the ball to almost as much as Ionescu does. I'm not really sure if it's a net loss or net gain compared to having Cazorla in a similar role, but it's close enough to not really be a set back.
Maite was bigger, good on defense and passing, also quick, but had a more deadly 3. Chavez plays alot like Maite and is even taller. Minyon is very strong and took her a while to fit in, but has made an impact. The combination of Minyon and more Taylor (who missed the last 10 games being hurt) has more than compensated for the loss of Maite to the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Who do you think does the most communicating on the floor? Hint, it’s Kyla. That’s why she plays. If our biggest problem is lack of communication, why take out your leader in that area? If she shot more it would make a huge difference. She already all the other things Geno wants.
And I wholeheartedly agree with this. However, Makurat has been coming in early off the bench and playing extended minutes in place of Kyla. I'm a huge Kyla Irwin fan so I'm hoping she gains the courage to be more aggressive on offense the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
In his post-game interview, and on many occasions before, Geno has been frustrated by the lack of movement of both ball and players. Littlemin's comments start from the same point. I, too, have noticed, especially as I replay games and can stop and rewind and re-view action, that yes, the ball does stop much more once its in Walker's or Williams' hands, much more so than when Crystal or Anna have the ball. Why?-- because both Crystal and Anna have better court vision and seem to know what to do with the ball before they get it. Megan gets a pass, and only then looks to see what or who is open. Christyn also does not seem to "read" the floor, the defense, or her teammates' locations "before" getting the ball. And she tends too often to start to dribble without any plan for what she's going to do with it. Megan seems to have a kind of tunnel vision that gets her dribbling into crowds without knowing where she might find a teammate open. Result: steals and held balls and shots in heavy traffic. And dribbling, btw, is the slowest way of moving the ball from place to place, player to player. For years, announcers marvelled at the way the UConn offense moved the ball without it once touching the floor.

A Boneyard poster (sorry, can't remember who) observed that Anna seems to know what to do with the ball before she gets it. That's court sense, that's court vision, and it's essential to swift ball movement, also a UConn hallmark.

Give credit to Megan for the way she dedicated herself to becoming a more powerful athlete, and that has paid off in her rebounding and strength on defense agains taller opponents. If she will refine and expand her court vision and awareness, she can help her teammates and find better openings for her shots. Christyn can make more efficient use of her physical skills at both ends of the court by building vision and awareness of where the ball and her teammates are; that will allow her to make quicker and more effective decisions.

This is not an easy game; the challenge for both of these young, promising players is to elevate their mental games to the same level as their physical skills. I think their lack of progress in that area is what has so frustrated Geno. I'm also sure that both Megan and Christyn feel frustrated and guilty about their 5 of 25 shooting. Move the ball, shots will open— for them and their teammates—and shooting percentages will rise, even agains the best teams.
Dribbling is certainly not Megan's strong suit...

Reaction Score
I didn't pay attention, was her career at USC better than her sister's at Louisville?
If Oregon wins the championship this season it will be the 4th consecutive year where a transfer has had a major impact in winning a championship.
ND-Shepard
Baylor-Chloe Jackson
Exactly...

Reaction Score
Who do you think does the most communicating on the floor? Hint, it’s Kyla. That’s why she plays. If our biggest problem is lack of communication, why take out your leader in that area? If she shot more it would make a huge difference. She already all the other things Geno wants.
Yeah but Kyla doesn't play smart .. she hurts the team when she doesn't shoot when open and she doesn't jump for rebounds.. she can't play at this level, eh? .. for some unknown reason, she started against Oregon and we were quickly down 8 or 10 points..

Reaction Score
ND-Shepard
Baylor-Chloe Jackson
Minyon led USC in about every category last year and I thought that team should have made the NCAA tourney. Minyon was their leader, but the second best player was her older 6 ft sister Mariya, who transferred from Louisville and exhausted her eligibility last year. USC was better than Arizona but decided not to play the WNIT since they were pissed about the NCAA snub.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I didn't follow Mariya very closely at Louisville. Nearly identical scoring marks, Mariya more of 3 point shooter (higher volume and percentage), Minyon more of a playmaker and better overall shooting %.

Yeah, this is definitely looking like a trend. Although there about a bazillion transfers each year, so it has to be the right player transferring into the right situation to tip the scales that dramatically.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
but the second best player was her older 6 ft sister Mariya

Mazyck might've been their 2nd best player, although I think she also caused some chemistry issues and might've been more trouble than she was worth.

Reaction Score

Excellent analysis of both kids. Very surprised the coaches haven’t been able to correct Williams’ dribbling and dancing with the ball and Walker’s tunnel vision.

Reaction Score
I believe Evina Westbrook was on that team also. I saw them at Boo Williams that year.
True. Quite a collection of talent. Cal Stars head coach Kelly Sopak subbed that team in two five-person units, similar to what CTT does at Arizona State. Moore was on the second unit. Ionescu, Tudor, Decosta, Westbrook, and McGuire were on the first unit. I believe that squad lost one game all summer. They lost to Cal Storm-Team Taurasi, another talented EYBL team that had Odom (Duke), McDonald (Arizona), Melgoza (Washington), and Campbell (Gonzaga), among others.

Moore had been overlooked by schools much of the summer before USC came calling.

Reaction Score
Mazyck might've been their 2nd best player, although I think she also caused some chemistry issues and might've been more trouble than she was worth.
Minyon was tops in points, minutes, free throws, rebounds, steals, and assists. Mariya was second in points, minutes, free throws, and assists, third in rebounds (to Tapley 2nd) and steals (to Mazcyk 2nd, but topped the team in 3 points with Mazcyk second. I'd say they were the best two.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minyon was tops in points, minutes, free throws, rebounds, steals, and assists. Mariya was second in points, minutes, free throws, and assists, third in rebounds (to Tapley 2nd) and steals (to Mazcyk 2nd, but topped the team in 3 points with Mazcyk second. I'd say they were the best two.

Mazcyk had the highest scoring average. She played in 4 less games than Minyon and 6 less games than Mariya, so you have to take total stats with a grain of salt. Mazcyk hit 8 less 3's than Mariya but averaged a bit more than 2 per game, give her 6 more games and she would've topped them in that category as well at total points. It's kind of splitting hairs. They were a 3 headed monster with most of their production coming from the perimeter. Overbeck was barely adequate and it's shocking how little they got out of Tapley when you look at how good she's been for ASU this season.

Reaction Score
Mazcyk had the highest scoring average. She played in 4 less games than Minyon and 6 less games than Mariya, so you have to take total stats with a grain of salt. Mazcyk hit 8 less 3's than Mariya but averaged a bit more than 2 per game, give her 6 more games and she would've topped them in that category as well at total points. It's kind of splitting hairs. They were a 3 headed monster with most of their production coming from the perimeter. Overbeck was barely adequate and it's shocking how little they got out of Tapley when you look at how good she's been for ASU this season.
Either way Minyon scared me the most when they played the Ducks or Beavers. Good team.

Reaction Score
My old brain may be working at half speed so forgive me. Does MW have a jump shot? I know her as a post up shooter. The last jump shot I saw from her was flat with little elevation. I see CW as a jump shooter.
If the WNBA is a career choice for MW, I know she can correct "tunnel vision", but she needs to handle the ball better, create her own shot, and have a viable jump shot. Her work this year under the boards is commendable and appreciated by Geno. To get a roster spot on an WNBA bench, her perimeter game has to pick up IMO. She has 14 months to develop as a top ten draft pick.
This year, big games MW is not Megatron.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USC was better than Arizona but decided not to play the WNIT since they were pissed about the NCAA snub.

It's a long season. Maybe USC was marginally better when looking at the season on the whole, but it's pretty hard to claim USC was better when Arizona crushed them 76-48 in the first round of the Pac 12 Tourney when both were still fighting for a possible NCAA Tourney berth.

Reaction Score
My old brain may be working at half speed so forgive me. Does MW have a jump shot? I know her as a post up shooter. The last jump shot I saw from her was flat with little elevation. I see CW as a jump shooter.
If the WNBA is a career choice for MW, I know she can correct "tunnel vision", but she needs to handle the ball better, create her own shot, and have a viable jump shot. Her work this year under the boards is commendable and appreciated by Geno. To get a roster spot on an WNBA bench, her perimeter game has to pick up IMO. She has 14 months to develop as a top ten draft pick.
This year, big games MW is not Megatron.
She tries to have a jump shot but isn't able to get off the floor much. That's why she has trouble getting shots off in traffic when driving. You're right, she'll need to be more than a spot up shooter.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yeah another graduate transfer that killed us just like Chloe Jackson did last year and yet Evina rides the pines...
UConn does have a graduate transfer of its own :rolleyes:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Maite was bigger, good on defense and passing, also quick, but had a more deadly 3. Chavez plays alot like Maite and is even taller. Minyon is very strong and took her a while to fit in, but has made an impact. The combination of Minyon and more Taylor (who missed the last 10 games being hurt) has more than compensated for the loss of Maite to the WNBA.

I'd add that it's taken the staff some time to figure out how to put Moore in a position where she can score when teams sag off of her. I think that's happened in the past 2-3 games--putting her at the high post, cutting to the basket, etc.--and I expect her points to increase from this point on.

Reaction Score
Tea Cooper this year for Baylor!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom