Oregon Lands A Big One from Germany | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon Lands A Big One from Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Carnac, post: 1810537, member: 5798"]We make assumptions in everyday life. We assume that when we run to the toilet, there will be toilet paper available. When we are driving and approach an intersection, we assume that the cross traffic has/will stop.
We also assume that when we use our credit/debit cards while shopping, the transaction will go through. And we assume that every time we get in our cars and turn the key, the car will start. :D

But I do get your point. I assume (perhaps unjustifiably) that Washington & Oregon State will finish in the top third of the Pac 12 this season. I DO NOT EXPECT EITHER OF THEM TO MAKE THE FINAL 4 !!!
I don't think the fans of either of those two programs are harboring that dream. :oops: A collapse or slide of that nature usually takes several years. I don't see that being the case at either of those two programs.

I do expect Baylor, Notre Dame and South Carolina to make amends for their early exit from the tournament last season. You know they are P**sed off, and are going to go through the season with an attitude, vowing that what happened last year, will not happen THIS year. To coin an old phrase: "They are going to be hell bent for leather", focused on one goal this season, making it to the final four. All three of these teams are projected to be top 5 nationally. Personally, I don't expect any early exits this year from any of them. I expect them to make the great 8. I'm not making any predictions beyond that. Who knows, one of them may run into that dark horse on the way to grandma's house. :eek:

There is always a "dark horse" in every NCAA Tournament. A team that comes in under the radar, wins games they are not projected/expected to win. Last year, there were 3. Three teams that made it all the way to the final weekend, that no one saw getting there. There will be a dark horse (that 4th team) this year. Who will it be? I doubt all 4 #1 seeds will make it to the final weekend. IF UConn were to make it to the final four this year, I think they would be considered that dark horse, because no one at this point (Sept 18, 2016) expects them to be there.[/QUOTE]

First paragraph is one of an OPTIMIST !! I'm pragmatic/ semi-pessimist. I choose your mental state, if I could!

I was not being critical--asking what you saw left in those teams that made you a believer---I liked both teams this past year. The three you mention, like this past year should have/should be final 4 in 2017 April. It is with great optimism and belief in Geno and KLS, Collier, Gabby, Chong, Butler (Ihope), knowing that Kayla and Dangerfield have talent and Bent has BB IQ....
The wonderful thing about the WBB year is that teams EVOLVE--I agree with the Dark Horse comment. But last year was a Fluke and those (except Uconn) that made the final 4 proved they did not belong

Reaction Score
I have been saying my expectations (at this point as hope) By mid Dec we'll all know what we have---this will not be a slow dance as it was last year..

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I don't think Oregon State was a fluke. Oregon State almost beat Notre Dame without their starting PG Wiese. They lost by one. So why was Notre Dame expected and not Oregon State? Stanford beat Oregon Sate by 20 at Oregon State and Oregon State had Wiese. I and my fellow PAC supporters were not surprised at all by Stanfords win and Oregon State getting to final four. We thought the OSU V Uconn game was basically the final and even from some of Genos comments I think he was more concerned by this match up. Uconn was just that much better than everyone, all starters, as they were beating Oregon State by a ton and Stewie had like 2 points and was on the bench a lot with fouls by the half. The final four was over at the half of the Oregon State game, thats how good Uconn were.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oregon State was a fluke. Oregon State almost beat Notre Dame without their starting PG Wiese. They lost by one. So why was Notre Dame expected and not Oregon State? Stanford beat Oregon Sate by 20 at Oregon State and Oregon State had Wiese. I and my fellow PAC supporters were not surprised at all by Stanfords win and Oregon State getting to final four. We thought the OSU V Uconn game was basically the final and even from some of Genos comments I think he was more concerned by this match up. Uconn was just that much better than everyone, all starters, as they were beating Oregon State by a ton and Stewie had like 2 points and was on the bench a lot with fouls by the half. The final four was over at the half of the Oregon State game, thats how good Uconn were.

Here is the FLUKE------What were the odd sheets saying about them being final 4----or those who know the game --predict that Oregon would be final four --even in March??? Nationally I don't remember much of a buzz about them.

Locally people in area's of teams tend to have a higher than natural opinion of where their team shall end up---Look I'm wagering on Uconn being in the final 4 this year---if THEY get there it won't be a fluke--it will be Geno who does it..
Did you or your fellow PAC supporter believe Stanford would NOT get to the final 4???
You would have surprised me MORE if you said no one in the PAC thought Oregon st or Stanford would make the final 4--
I think it is great you and your PAC supporters---believe in your teams--that is what a true fan is supposed to do.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I guess we don't agree on the word fluke then as if those that thought it was a fluke had been paying attention to the games of all the teams, they would know that Notre Dame and South Carolina had some struggles and possibly not clear shots as final four contenders. I remember South Carolina not making it the year before, was that a fluke. Were the games that Stanford won against Baylor, Uconn and Notre Dame all flukes, even though I wish I could say it had been my Bruins?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wallman said: So why was Notre Dame expected and not Oregon State?[/QUOTE]
Oregon State was a "dark horse" plain and simple. Other than Oregon State fans, supporters and the team itself, NO ONE outside of Beaver Nation picked the Beavers to make it to the final four at the beginning of the tournament. Why? because of their recent tournament performance history. When was the last time Oregon State made it to the final weekend??? When was the last time Notre Dame made it to the final weekend? There was a consistent pattern of recent behavior and achievement that Notre Dame had, that Oregon State did not.

On march 7, 2016, Notre Dame was ranked #2 in the nation in the AP poll. Oregon State was ranked #6. The consensus at that time was that the top 4 schools: UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina & Baylor would all make it to the final four........without fail. No one anticipated any team beating them. Teams ranked 6-10: Maryland, Oregon State, Texas, Louisville, Ohio State and UCLA were not expected qualify for Indianapolis. Syracuse was at #14, and Washington was not in the top 25.

All of the professional experts (coaches) on radio and TV, pegged the top four teams to play that final weekend. That's the great thing about the NCAA tournament, anything can happen if you can get in. This past season, it did. I was very happy to see Oregon State knock off Baylor, although I must admit, I wanted UConn afforded the pleasure of sending the Bears home. That was a match-up that had been highly anticipated after the brackets were announced. Oregon State advancing meant that Baylor did not achieve their goal of making it to Indy.

Many fans across the country jumped on your bandwagon after that game, including some guy wearing a turban. The hardest games to win (per Geno Auriemma) are the regional final and the championship game. Build on your team's remarkable achievement this past season, make the tournament again this year, win your regional, then you can tell us about the expectations of your program, as your team heads to the final four in Dallas Texas. You will have our attention.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not "wish" or "hope." Expectation!

My apologies kicker, you are correct. You said "I do" to my assertion that no one "EXPECTED" UConn to make the final 4 this coming season. Not hoped or wished.

Let me rephrase that: I hope your expectations come true. That would be a wonderful thing. Something UConn Nation would revel in. :)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Oh I see now you are using the word expected and NOT fluke ;)

Sorry but Oregon State is not MY team. If I have a bandwagon, can you tell me what bands are on it? Some blues, rock, country would be nice.

Reaction Score
My apologies kicker, you are correct. You said "I do" to my assertion that no one "EXPECTED" UConn to make the final 4 this coming season. Not hoped or wished.

Let me rephrase that: I hope your expectations come true. That would be a wonderful thing. Something UConn Nation would revel in. :)
I also expect we won't lose any games, once we get to the FF. But that's just me :D

Reaction Score
It is definitely not a fluke for a team ranked in the top ten to make the final four.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I also expect we won't lose any games, once we get to the FF. But that's just me :D

I don't have a problem with concept. I remember something Geno said 2 years ago just before we played Notre Dame for the championship: "If we were going to lose, we'd have done it by now".
If UConn can advance to the final weekend, you can pour me a TALL glass of that kool-aid you're drinking. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with concept. I remember something Geno said 2 years ago just before we played Notre Dame for the championship: "If we were going to lose, we'd have done it by now".
If UConn can advance to the final weekend, you can pour me a TALL glass of that kool-aid you're drinking. ;)
It's been workin' the last few years and I'm stickin' with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom