Orange Bowl Announces 12-year ACC agreement | The Boneyard

Orange Bowl Announces 12-year ACC agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
images

"A fan sits alone at Orange Bowl 2012"

And this picture was taken before the "Major Bowl games" became less relevant.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
4 years out of 12 the contract is under the Master Contract for the playoffs.

The other 8 years it's an ACC Championship Game played on New Years Day with only one hope of gettting decent ratings: by paying off the BE and ND to keep them from putting a Yankee Bowl in that same time slot on NBC. Seriously. Would people rather watch Houston and ND? Or Georgia Tech and Baylor

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The more I think about it.....can the ACC black out New Years Day progtamming on all 281 cable channels?

It's the only hope for a 5.0 rating

Reaction Score
"I spoke with league sources in Greensboro who tell me that the Atlantic Coast Conference now controls the rights to the Orange Bowl and will take that game to market, meaning the conference now has the ability to sell the game to the highest bidder, whether that is ESPN, CBS or Fox Sports. "

I'm not so sure that this is a sweet deal. Seems to be typical ACC spin - perhaps written by a James Carville wannabe.

Networks affiliations with conferences is just getting bigger and bigger and ESPN owns the ACC. Why would ANY OTHER NETWORK bid for the ACC's Orange Bowl? We have no idea who the ACC will play, but in reality it will be the 3rd place team in the SEC, BIG, Pac12, or Big 12. Because one team from each of these conferences will most likely be in the final 4 and they each have binding bowl arrangements. So it will be ACC Champ against a third place finisher. Not an big time game in my book.

I hope NBE signs with NBC and they create a new Bowl featuring a game between NBE Champ, ND, or highest ranked non major (think BYU, Air Force). Play it in Yankee Stadium or Meadowlands. Let NBC further the interests of their "teams".

If NBE signs with Fox then have Fox/NBC do the Bowl , alternating each year.

Yes my pov is f&%! the ACC and ESPN!

pj

Reaction Score
I hope NBE signs with NBC and they create a new Bowl featuring a game between NBE Champ, ND, or highest ranked non major (think BYU, Air Force). Play it in Yankee Stadium or Meadowlands. Let NBC further the interests of their "teams".

If NBE signs with Fox then have Fox/NBC do the Bowl , alternating each year.

Yes my pov is f&%! the ACC and ESPN!

Terrific idea. Don't give the ACC the chance to draw the BE champ in to their Orange Bowl only when they choose. Either make it a permanent ACC-BE matchup as with the Rose and B12-SEC bowls or they never get the BE champ. We create our bowl in NYC and we have the same status as the Orange. We can go find 3rd place major conference teams as the opponent.

The only thing helping the Orange in that case is that they get playoff games on a rotating basis. But the playoff arrangements will be evolving. The NBE NYC bowl could get into the picture.

The other aspect is NYC open air stadiums can be pretty cold on Jan 1. Better be a day game.

Reaction Score
As i noted in another thread... The Orange Bowl is @ the least desirable time frame (1:00p on 1/1). WCH and his friends in the Pacific time zone won't even be up yet!

Reaction Score
Terrific idea. Don't give the ACC the chance to draw the BE champ in to their Orange Bowl only when they choose. Either make it a permanent ACC-BE matchup as with the Rose and B12-SEC bowls or they never get the BE champ. We create our bowl in NYC and we have the same status as the Orange. We can go find 3rd place major conference teams as the opponent.

The only thing helping the Orange in that case is that they get playoff games on a rotating basis. But the playoff arrangements will be evolving. The NBE NYC bowl could get into the picture.

The other aspect is NYC open air stadiums can be pretty cold on Jan 1. Better be a day game.

Agree definitely need to step out and create our own game that benifits the promotion of our league and is close to our fan base, which is mainly in the north east.

Reaction Score

I agree. The Big East needs to keep building up the status of the Yankee Bowl. It has huge potential as a new years day bowl. NYC and that stadium can draw a healthy TV audience.

If Boise or San Diego State ever win the Big East they will be very likely to receive a Fiesta Bowl bid. Houston, SMU and Memphis could win the Big East and get a Cotton Bowl bid. The Orange Bowl would actually be foolish to committ to ACC champ vs 2nd or third place from another conference because a USF or UCF team ranked in the top 10 would fill up the stadium.

Orange bowl nightmere BC vs Iowa State. Yikes! Lock in those conferences and you will eventually get a major stinker. I guess the bowls didn't learn anything from the failed AQ bid disaster.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Game time is 1 PM. I think the Gator Bowl is the same time. Good luck taking viewers away from that.

Reaction Score
I see the resident ACC troll is jumping up and down with the Orange bowl deal.

This is a nice summary of what this deal it is all about:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/18946346/crawford-orange-bowl-acc-deal-a-lemon-for-college-football

Bottom line - ACC Orange Bowl deal is a lemon for rest of college football. ACC football blows and won't get any better by adding Pitt and SU.
sounds like a lot of crying to me. "boo hoo the acc shouldnt get paid so much let me cry in my cheerios. did i mention that boise is awesome this time of year?"

pj

Reaction Score
sounds like a lot of crying to me. "boo hoo the acc shouldnt get paid so much let me cry in my cheerios. did i mention that boise is awesome this time of year?"

We don't know how much the ACC is getting paid. They haven't put the Orange Bowl out for bid yet. Since the ACC champ's opponent will be a 3rd place major conference team or 2nd place Big East or 2nd tier conference team, it's not necessarily going to earn much money.

Kudos to the ACC for negotiating a property for themselves. Let's see if it can be successful.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think it's hysterical how insane you all sound trying to poo-poo the Orange Bowl.

It's the friggin' Orange Bowl. If you think this is a bad deal, you're insane.

Reaction Score

Easily the most petty fans in college football. Most Orange fans have no idea how close they are to being Indiana or Wash. St. Yeah, the ACC is in better shape than the BE. But, UCONN will go into the Carrier Dome this season and make it six straight and I have a better chance of making it to Mars than the Cuse does to making the Orange Bowl.

Orange fans always looking back at the past and never see the future come up and smack them right in the mouth.

Reaction Score
I think it's hysterical how insane you all sound trying to poo-poo the Orange Bowl.

It's the friggin' Orange Bowl. If you think this is a bad deal, you're insane.

This is the NEW ACC Orange Bowl featuring the ACC Champ against the third best team in a major conference. Here's Swofford's spin, "There are five conferences that separate themselves to some degree in the FBS ..... That positions the ACC extremely well, and it positions the Orange Bowl very well, as a contract bowl, tied into the ACC, and therefore a solid part of the system."

5 frigin conferences? The BE has been toe to toe with the ACC the last 10 years and all they (and ESPN) do is try to destroy us.

I hope the BE signs with NBC and NBC creates a BE vs ND or anyone else new year's bowl. The BE needs a TV network to support and market them. If that means selling my soul to NBC and ND I'm on board. A successful BE does help ND.

I hope the BE names a new Commissioner soon, but better yet I hope one week before negotiations with ESPN formally open the BE names our new conference tv/media czar Dick Ebersol, our own Connecticut resident.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The ACC is a better conference than the Big East because it has better schools, better history, and more eyeballs/fans. The Big East being better on the field doesn't matter.

Life isn't fair.

If you all want to get gigged up about a potential Big East #1 bowl, go ahead. Where? Who? MetLife Stadium? Ah, no. Pass. Nobody wants to go to a bowl game in the winter in New Jersey.

There's nowhere for the Big East to go.

Reaction Score
ESPN analysis of ACC Orange Bowl deal:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/40447/orange-bowl-partnership-great-for-acc

Based on recent on the field play the ACC has not been as dominant as they were before but the cycle is clearly up and the gap between the five power conferences and everyone else is staggering. That gap will only grow larger as the schools in the power conferences start cashing the checks from the improved TV deals and the new BCS playoffs.

Reaction Score
Easily the most petty fans in college football. Most Orange fans have no idea how close they are to being Indiana or Wash. St. Yeah, the ACC is in better shape than the BE. But, UCONN will go into the Carrier Dome this season and make it six straight and I have a better chance of making it to Mars than the Cuse does to making the Orange Bowl.

Orange fans always looking back at the past and never see the future come up and smack them right in the mouth.

Well that past in part helped us move out of that dumpster fire so..yeah.

But hey, Yankee Bowl! Metlife Stadium! Houston and San Diego State!

Durrrp.

Reaction Score
Yes, for the time being anyway, Cuse is in a more desirable conference. UCONN will still have more success. Syracuse had an enormous advantage over UCOONN when we entered the BE and we passes you by like you were standing still. The ACC won't change that.

Remember, you actually have to win games to get to the better bowls.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well that past in part helped us move out of that dumpster fire so..yeah.

But hey, Yankee Bowl! Metlife Stadium! Houston and San Diego State!

Durrrp.

Enjoy the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl if you make it.

Reaction Score
Private schools, save a few, won't compete well with public schools long term. The privates are fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom