Option at Center | The Boneyard

Option at Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just an option. If we need a little more post depth Hannah Gusters a 6'5" Sr averaged 14+ points, about 57% from the floor, and almost 80% from the foul line in a major conference. She could be the perfect experienced post player who might want to get a season at UConn before giving pro basketball a try. If our young post players (we only have 2 with a combined 1 year of actually playing in college, and I'm not considering Deberry as someone who could get minutes) beat her out ok but she comes from a power five conference and is big and strong. This could be a great fit to benefit both her and us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This Hannah Gusters? You trying to give Geno a heart attack?

912AF5A9-5E93-4586-A7B5-4BCA7AAB3EC7.jpeg

Reaction Score
With the Va. Tech coach Brooks moving to Kentucky, I wonder if any of the Hokie players will enter the portal. I was extremely impressed with the freshman big that filled in for Kitley, Clara Strack. Seems she would be a perfect fit for UConn.

Reaction Score
What about Clara Silva with Kenny Brooks leaving. She's 6'6 from Portugal and was part of VTs top ten 2024 recruiting class. I'm kinda new to following off season stuff but when a coach leaves how successful are they usually in bringing their recruiting class to the new university? It's probably a case by case basis. Anyways maybe her and Ines know one another. And Im pretty sure Uconn was among her final 10 schools. Her and Jana would be trouble!

Reaction Score
One roster slot! That’s all for next season! I would think Strong is first choice, perhaps Emily, then the best available big, and then Chen from Princeton. Obviously Strong is the best option, after that it’s gonna be whoever Geno thinks can best impact this roster for next year!

Reaction Score
We will have a great Center next season and that is Yana!
You mean Jana (with a hard J).

We all hope that she'll be great, but she hasn't yet played one minute of D1 women's basketball.
I'm guessing that there will be some period of adjustment and training required.

Reaction Score
Clara Silva, maybe... if about a dozen other things fell into place. Not holding my breath. This is not an urgent need for Geno.

More to the point. Jana is who Geno is betting on, and I think I can see why. She's strong with long arms and a nose for the basket. She's fierce, the heart of a lion. She will be able to carry the team when we need her.

She's inexperienced, you say? Sure, and Paige & Co will have to help her out in the fall. But in the spring, with Ice and Aubrey and Ayanna and Caroline and Morgan having her back, I think she'll develop nicely. We will have a very tall rotation in aggregate: 1 at 6'5", 1 at 6'3", 3 at 6'2", 1 at 6'1", 1 at 6'0, 1 at 5'11, 2 at 5'10, 2 at 5'9. If Sarah comes and Amari is available the rotation will be even taller.

I think the BYers needs to wrap their minds around the fact that we will not be a small team next year. We could have a 6'2" pg for the next 4 years. Just picture that.

One last thought: I watched the game against Iowa from last season and lots of things stood out for me. First, of course, a healthy Azzi is money pure and simple. It's easy to forget this. But more importantly, Ayanna looked really good in this game, the sort of strength Paige and Azzi and KK will know how to incorporate into the offense, and a rebounder/defender as good as anyone. Why? because she has quick feet and runs the court well. Her shooting is inconsistent, and she'll have to improve in this. But she moves so well on the court that she will get to the spots Paige Azzi KK want to see her in. Watch the replay of this game and you'll see that she runs the floor almost as well as Aubrey.

Picture the lineups Jana will have around her.
Jana Paige Azzi Ice Ash -- with those three on the perimeter, Jana and Ice will see no double teams
Jana Azzi Ash Aubrey Ayanna -- two shooters on the perimeter and lots of muscle in the paint
Jana KK Caroline Allie Aubrey -- incredible athletes and strong scorers
Jana Morgan Aubrey KK Paige -- this looks like the pressing unit
Jana Ice Paige Q Morgan -- team tall, team energy

I expect all these lineups to result in single coverage on Jana all season long.

Reaction Score
Ok, one last reflection on Jana. Remember all the doubters who couldn't believe that Lou could contribute much last season. Then circumstances changed and Geno had to play her a lot more than either of them expected... and we all saw the truth about her, that she is a fighter like any of the greats who've called Gampel home. By the end of the season, she was a hero to all of us.

Jana is going to be like that. We don't know exactly how she'll fit in. Some (like me) think she has good skills, others doubt it. But one thing anyone who watched those baleful FIBA games last summer could see easily is that Jana is a fighter. She will be as fierce as any Husky has ever been. If we support her -- and who can believe Paige Azzi Ash KK Aubrey Ayanna Ice won't be able to do that? -- she will reveal the heart of a lion.

Reaction Score
Just an option. If we need a little more post depth Hannah Gusters a 6'5" Sr averaged 14+ points, about 57% from the floor, and almost 80% from the foul line in a major conference. She could be the perfect experienced post player who might want to get a season at UConn before giving pro basketball a try.

I would pass. For her size, she is a poor rebounder. Much worse than Griffin, worse than Ice Brady, even worse than Deberry, although that obviously is a small sample size.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Ok, one last reflection on Jana. Remember all the doubters who couldn't believe that Lou could contribute much last season. Then circumstances changed and Geno had to play her a lot more than either of them expected... and we all saw the truth about her, that she is a fighter like any of the greats who've called Gampel home. By the end of the season, she was a hero to all of us.

Jana is going to be like that. We don't know exactly how she'll fit in. Some (like me) think she has good skills, others doubt it. But one thing anyone who watched those baleful FIBA games last summer could see easily is that Jana is a fighter. She will be as fierce as any Husky has ever been. If we support her -- and who can believe Paige Azzi Ash KK Aubrey Ayanna Ice won't be able to do that? -- she will reveal the heart of a lion.
Baleful. Good usage.

Reaction Score
I think Geno has who he wants at center except maybe someone named STRONG.
You are wrong we don't have a good backup for Jenna . Remember she is coming back from major surgery. We need another big !! Geno has to stop being so stubborn and get one. WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SIZE !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom