Open Practices | The Boneyard

Open Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sonny , I don't believe they had any open practices last year............Your best bet, since school opens next week I think , is to cruise by occasionally and see if you can catch a pick-up game or two. Which might be open to the public in Gampel. Maybe after 5pm or so. I think the new practice facility is secured.

But once Geno and CD get involved practices and games might be only held in the secured practice facility.

JS

Reaction Score
Sonny , I don't believe they had any open practices last year..Your best bet, since school opens next week I think , is to cruise by occasionally and see if you can catch a pick-up game or two. Which might be open to the public in Gampel. Maybe after 5pm or so. I think the new practice facility is secured.

But once Geno and CD get involved practices and games might be only held in the secured practice facility.
When practices were held at Gampel, you could wander in and watch. There were never more than a few people in the stands, and no one would object. The only trick was figuring out when to be there.

Blake was a mainstay on the practice-watching, and I joined him at least once. He would file much-appreciated preseason reports on the Boneyard -- appreciated because they came at a time when everyone was starving for specifics about new players, how everyone looked, what stuff was being run, etc.

I have no idea whether you can get away with this type of thing at the new facility. Have a feeling the place will be tighter.

HGN

Reaction Score
When practices were held at Gampel, you could wander in and watch. There were never more than a few people in the stands, and no one would object. The only trick was figuring out when to be there.

Blake was a mainstay on the practice-watching, and I joined him at least once. He would file much-appreciated preseason reports on the Boneyard -- appreciated because they came at a time when everyone was starving for specifics about new players, how everyone looked, what stuff was being run, etc.

I have no idea whether you can get away with this type of thing at the new facility. Have a feeling the place will be tighter.
You are probably right............It will be tighter I think also. With the anticipation of a new , potential record breaking season , running at a fever pitch I cannot see them opening practices to the public or press. Geno recognizes that with this being Stewie's senior season , and her soothsayer prediction of FOUR(4) NC's on the horizon , along with a high profile incoming class , practices could have a distracting crowd of 100's in the stands.

I would love to get some insight and reports on how the girls are looking early -on , but like you I don't think it will come to pass.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You are probably right..It will be tighter I think also. With the anticipation of a new , potential record breaking season , running at a fever pitch I cannot see them opening practices to the public or press. Geno recognizes that with this being Stewie's senior season , and her soothsayer prediction of FOUR(4) NC's on the horizon , along with a high profile incoming class , practices could have a distracting crowd of 100's in the stands.

I would love to get some insight and reports on how the girls are looking early -on , but like you I don't think it will come to pass.
I am pretty sure there are times when the hoard will continue to have access to practices, but the casual fan is definitely not going to be able to 'stroll in'. And the idea that 'pick-up' games will be in Gampel is also unlikely - they have the practice facility for that as well. At some point I assume they will have practice time in Gampel, to get acclimated to that space - buy I doubt we will know about it in advance.

Reaction Score
They need to lock the practices down just to keep the creepers out. I wonder how long until all college campuses are completely locked down such that you can't just wander onto one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They need to lock the practices down just to keep the creepers out. I wonder how long until all college campuses are completely locked down such that you can't just wander onto one.
Problem of course being that most of the 'creepers' are fellow students or school employees - amazing how little campus crime is actually perpetrated by non-school related people.

Reaction Score
If you are a season ticket holder for the Gampel package you get an invite. I know our group has gone each of the past 3 seasons. Interesting to watch if you're a die hard. Plus Geno does a Q and A after practice that is worth the trip in and of itself.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It is fantastic that they have the new facility but I am sure it is locked to fans...however noble they may be.
I suspect they will practice and scrimmage at Gampel occasionally during September but it will be dicier than usual
to figure out what days and when.

It is absolutely fascinating to get early peeks at the team....especially the freshmen...seeing them up close/live is way better
than on tape. A couple of quick recollections from days gone by:

Frosh Maya struggling for one session....getting way frustrated...Tahirah Williams the most effective player on the court that afternoon.
MoJeff....her frosh year...being incredibly passive in an early Sept. scrimmage....passing the ball after a dribble or two...deferring to her
teammates to the extreme. Just look at her now.
Morgan dominating down low...looked like she would get her shot blocked every time by Stef or Stewie....never happened...made about 90%
of her post shots.

Tonya Cardoza bringing an incredibly cute puppy to a scrimmage...a huge hit running around the court...seemed partial to Maya...pretty good
sense of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom