Only one circus in town | The Boneyard

Only one circus in town

Reaction Score
A very sad announcement indeed; the end of an era. When they first started there were other circuses already in existence. But you wouldn't want to go there unless you like getting into a fight or have your pockets picked. And you'd be nuts to drop you kids off there or even bring them with you. Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey cleaned them up and made them a respectable place to go for fun and wholesome family entertainment. We always looked forward to the circus coming to town. I think they paved the way for modern day theme parks.

There were five brothers I think, all with families to support. Each brother was in charge of a different phase, such as travel, new acts, animals and others which I can't recall. Talk about the old days; they ran it for some 30 -40 years that way without any formal contracts or other operating agreements. No in-fighting, no power struggles, no greedy competition for profits as I recall from what I read years ago.

Yes, a very sad day indeed.:(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
During my undergraduate days I worked at the Princeton University library in the theater collection - they were given the whole front office files from the Bailey circus, including the merger contract that they signed with the Barnum circus. Part of my job was going through the hundreds of boxes helping to catalog what was there, as we were preparing for a large Circus exhibit. Found it really fascinating.

A sad day indeed.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A sad day when I give a like to something I dislike. I'm old enough to remember circus parades. So very sad.

Reaction Score
When I was really young, some time in the 1950's, a three-ring circus came to the Willimantic area. It was quite an event.

I remember sitting at one end in the tent being amazed at all acts going on at the same time in the three rings, one behind the other from my point of view... on the ground , in the air, the elephants circling around outside the rings.

There was a very very strong odor of manure, and thought that I would not remember that part of the experience.

So, trying not to think about a pink elephant equals trying not to remember circus elephant manure.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The famed Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus has announced that it will be closing permanently. The primary reason announced for the closing is that they can no longer keep up with the UConn women's basketball team. :)

Famed Ringling Brothers Circus closing - CNN.com
It's a Barnum and Bailey World - no longer
upload_2017-1-15_14-31-8.png

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
During my undergraduate days I worked at the Princeton University library in the theater collection - they were given the whole front office files from the Bailey circus, including the merger contract that they signed with the Barnum circus. Part of my job was going through the hundreds of boxes helping to catalog what was there, as we were preparing for a large Circus exhibit. Found it really fascinating.

A sad day indeed.
Yes the traveling circus for me was an in tents experience for me, too................

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For unmatched circus nostalgia, google "Barnum - Musical" to watch a complete performance of the unique Broadway musical, "Barnum," when performed live in London. Michael Crawford's riveting performance was so extraordinary that reprisals are few and futile.

Check it out. "Barnum." A highly entertaining musical version of the birth of "The Greatest Show on Earth.":)

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Well, I hate to be the crying liberal here (as I actually tend to being a middle of the road conservative) but how you would feel about this wonderful institution closing down if your dog was treated like this?

12 Things Ringling Doesn't Want You to Know

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, I hate to be the crying liberal here (as I actually tend to being a middle of the road conservative) but how you would feel about this wonderful institution closing down if your dog was treated like this?

12 Things Ringling Doesn't Want You to Know
FYI, Ringling Bros retired their elephants in May of last year as a result of constant criticism from animal rights groups. It was probably too little too late, but also better late than never.

It is my understanding that the 11 former circus elephants now live comfortably on an animal preserve in FL.

Reaction Score
There were five brothers I think, all with families to support. Each brother was in charge of a different phase, such as travel, new acts, animals and others which I can't recall. Talk about the old days; they ran it for some 30 -40 years that way without any formal contracts or other operating agreements. No in-fighting, no power struggles, no greedy competition for profits as I recall from what I read years ago.
Interesting. I thought I heard the exact opposite. That effectively the alpha Ringling swallowed the others. I think that's what I learned when I toured the estate of John Ringling in Sarasota. Could well be wrong about that.

My favorite memory of that circus was the extraordinary tiger-tamer Gunther Gebel-Williams. Amazingly charismatic.

Reaction Score
No not a sad day, a happly day that animals will no longer be,kept
in small cages and or chains. I went to a circus many, many years ago and never went to another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom