One Vote For McCummings In New Spread Offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Vote For McCummings In New Spread Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think McCummings has any future under center here in any way. That being said, I think he's an athlete that we should try to utilize in one capacity or another. I would even like to see him take a few handoffs in the backfield just to see what he can do. I like the way he can shift and accelerate through the line, as we saw him do in the Wildcat. I don't remember a defender getting one solid hit on him when he ran the ball, which is reason enough to evaluate him IMO. If we can do it for Nick, I think we can find something for Scott. As far as QB goes, I believe this will be a highly critical year for CW and doubt he gets a lot of wiggle room or margin for error. Again, it's his job to lose, but I don't think he sticks around for his senior year if he regresses at all this year. At least not if the Mad Texan and Casey step up and compete. Either way, I just want the best QB under center period.

Exactly. We've got a QB. We lack quality at RB and WR. Thinking Bert Emanuel or Julian Edelman type conversion

Reaction Score
If he can't throw out of the wildcat when 11 defenders are playing the run, how can he throw out of a spread offense?
Let's be fair, is the wildcat not to employ the element of surprise? SM has never been afforded that here. Often put into the game for one play at a time and then at a time a layman would not have chosen. Like a couple of times last year when sent in to be announced during a TV time out. Sad and laughable....This to stand there for a few minutes knowing what was coming just like everyone in the house and the other team.
Just say'n ..........

Reaction Score
Whitmers INTs were a function of him running for his life on every down.

Tend to agree here. When the O-line is that porous, you really can't judge a QB that well. Even when there's no pressure, that had to be on his mind.

Reaction Score
The only SM throw I remember is the drop by McCoombs. Not sure if he threw the incomplete out of the wishbone before the half at Rutgers. Whitmer never showed any capability to throw an accurate deep ball. Way to many picks and most of them weren't when he was being rushed. The wildcat/surprise formation concept that GDL was trying to employ broke up our momentum often but there were times when SM was able to make positive run plays showing that he could be effective in the spread. I don't know if CW or CC could be as effective with the running the ball aspect of the spread. I think the jury is still out as to whether SM can be accurate enough to have him in the spread. They should be able to figure this out in Spring practice and if not find him another spot on offense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Let's be fair, is the wildcat not to employ the element of surprise? SM has never been afforded that here. Often put into the game for one play at a time and then at a time a layman would not have chosen. Like a couple of times last year when sent in to be announced during a TV time out. Sad and laughable....This to stand there for a few minutes knowing what was coming just like everyone in the house and the other team.
Just say'n ..........

Yes it is. That is why, by definition, the ball is snapped directly to a non-QB player in actual Wildcat formations and the starting QB is still on the field (usually split wide). That way, the back-up is not announced when he enters the game. I don't know if that is a requirement but it happened every single time. Not that it mattered. He stuck out like a sore thumb, jogging in from the sideline.

UConn did not employ the Wildcat. They had designed run plays for the back-up QB.

Reaction Score
the one pass that I remembered SM throw, was a perfect pass to Lyle wide open. Like the rest of our WR's he dropped it.

I can recall only a handful of passes.

The one against Fordham (2011) where he hit Griffin for the TD.

The one against Iowa St. (2011) where he missed a wide open McCombs by 10 yards.

And 2 passes this past year. The one McCombs dropped and the one where he threw it out of bounds to a wide open Hypolite in the end zone.

I'm sure there's others that I can't recall of the top of my head, but the common theme here is that all of these throws were to guys who did not have a defender within 5 yards of them. And he was 1-for-4. If you want to discount McCombs' drop, he's 50% when guys are uncovered. Not good.

Reaction Score
I believe that UCONN can get into manageable third downs by passing the ball better. Stretching the field horizontally on first down with short, quick passes will open up more running lanes on second and 5 and third and 2.

Only wish that the UConn passing game was as on target as this post.Please folks, UConn has got to get much better throwing the ball as integral (perhaps featured) part of the offense. That being said, #11 SM is immediately eliminated for the QB competition. Look, I like the way he runs (hard & punishing). He's a legit BCS runner. As a thrower, there was a reason Harvard was his other option. He is not (will not become) an effective BCS QB. So take him out of the equation, and move on with the urgent quest to find the right QB.

Reaction Score
Yes it is. That is why, by definition, the ball is snapped directly to a non-QB player in actual Wildcat formations and the starting QB is still on the field (usually split wide). That way, the back-up is not announced when he enters the game. I don't know if that is a requirement but it happened every single time. Not that it mattered. He stuck out like a sore thumb, jogging in from the sideline.

UConn did not employ the Wildcat. They had designed run plays for the back-up QB.

Not just McCummings jogging in from the sideline ... Mateas was the center for the "designed run plays for the back-up QB".

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not just McCummings jogging in from the sideline ... Mateas was the center for the "designed run plays for the back-up QB".

Exactly...Maybe the personnel packages designated by our new offensive coordinator call for the best five linemen on every play.

I think one of the biggest issues with last years line wasn't so much that they were under-talented, but that Coach Deleone wanted a versatile line (one player able to play multiple positions). That is all well and good, but only when injury calls for it. Coach Deleone seemed to change up the personnel on a whim (Bennett and/or Masters needlessly playing 3 different positions during the same game). How do you expect the players to communicate when they don't know who is next to them from one play to the next? Take a look at the Patriots this weekend. When the offense comes of the field, the linemen sit on the bench in order of their position (The Giants also do this, but I hate the Giants...and they missed the playoffs :)).

Reaction Score
I don't understand the premise of this trail. Why would one think we are changing the O? PP has said repeatedly we are running a PRO style O. He has recruited pro style QBs. We are now going after Kempt, a pro style QB. Might we emply more 3 and 4 WR sets, thereby incorporating aspects of the spread in to our O? Yes. But we are not switching the foundation of the O - which is pro style.

Now, I say we sit Scotty down and make him study film of Jordan Reed a CT kid who did pretty well at the TE position. As a QB he'd be holding a clipboard and plannnig a career at Waffle House. As a TE he has a chance to play on Sundays. That is mentoring, that is coaching. And, you can actually throw in some trick plays WHILE HE IS ON THE FIELD and allow him to run.

Reaction Score

I guess technically you are correct, but the term has entered sort of "general usage" in sports now to refer to pretty much any formation which features a runner who is not the regular quarterback, rather than a passer as the primary ball handler. So when the Jets brought in Tebow it was called the wildcat and when UConn brought in McCummings that was referred to as the wildcat.

Reaction Score
I can recall only a handful of passes.

The one against Fordham (2011) where he hit Griffin for the TD.

The one against Iowa St. (2011) where he missed a wide open McCombs by 10 yards.

And 2 passes this past year. The one McCombs dropped and the one where he threw it out of bounds to a wide open Hypolite in the end zone.

I'm sure there's others that I can't recall of the top of my head, but the common theme here is that all of these throws were to guys who did not have a defender within 5 yards of them. And he was 1-for-4. If you want to discount McCombs' drop, he's 50% when guys are uncovered. Not good.
I'll take a td out of 4 attempts any day

Husky25

Reaction Score
...So when the Jets brought in Tebow it was called the wildcat...

When the Jets brought in Tebow they called it the White Flag!!!! :D

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
McCummings can't throw, we've seen enough to say so.

Reaction Score

Even his completions seem to require great catches. I am a huge fan of McCummings as a player, as he won us a game or two a couple of years ago. But I just don't see it as far as passing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

^^^ This. So, can we please stop with the McCummings at QB talk, regardless of the formation.

CW had turnover problems at the beginning and end of the season. He was more than serviceable, but by no means has the job locked down. OTOH it will take more than CC or anyone else just showing up to camp to win the job from him.

Our passing game would have been good enough provided the running game wasn't a total disaster.

We should spend our time wondering how that is going to get fixed, because I haven't heard anything to give me any confidence that it will be any better this year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
^^^ This. So, can we please stop with the McCummings at QB talk, regardless of the formation.

CW had turnover problems at the beginning and end of the season. He was more than serviceable, but by no means has the job locked down. OTOH it will take more than CC or anyone else just showing up to camp to win the job from him.

Our passing game would have been good enough provided the running game wasn't a total disaster.

We should spend our time wondering how that is going to get fixed, because I haven't heard anything to give me any confidence that it will be any better this year.

Just quoting Des to start this mess. It's pretty clear CW is our guy this year and hopefully he can get some blocking and a little more responsibility under the new OC. I just wouldn't be surprised to see Casey show some real progress this year the way he works his tail off. Only wish GDL were one more step removed from the OL. D should be solid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom