One thing I want to give Hurley credit for | The Boneyard

One thing I want to give Hurley credit for

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So far Hurley has resisted the urge to play Akok and Bouk at a minute level they have not earned. The only criteria for playing time should be what combination of players and minutes helps UConn win. I don't care if the Huskies are headed for a 25 win season or a 10 win season. NEVER bail on the upper-classmen and start playing frosh just because. It sends the wrong message to everyone in and around the program, and you will never get the players back if you do that, because they won't trust Hurley. If the players don't trust the coach, everyone is one bad practice away from the transfer portal.

I think Akok and Bouk will be top 4 in minutes played by season's end, but they have to earn it.

Reaction Score
So far Hurley has resisted the urge to play Akok and Bouk at a minute level they have not earned. The only criteria for playing time should be what combination of players and minutes helps UConn win. I don't care if the Huskies are headed for a 25 win season or a 10 win season. NEVER bail on the upper-classmen and start playing frosh just because. It sends the wrong message to everyone in and around the program, and you will never get the players back if you do that, because they won't trust Hurley. If the players don't trust the coach, everyone is one bad practice away from the transfer portal.

I think Akok and Bouk will be top 4 in minutes played by season's end, but they have to earn it.

Do you genuinely believe Akok has not earned that already? Hurley said Akok is the best player on the team. Akok also has the best attitude I’ve seen from a UConn player ever. Runs to pick his teammates off the floor or simply to give them high 5s. What are you talking about?

Reaction Score

You know more than coach Hurley about who should get minutes?

Absurd

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You know more than coach Hurley about who should get minutes?

Absurd

I don't know what is worse, your lame trolling, or that someone was so dense that they can't see through it and liked your post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you genuinely believe Akok has not earned that already? Hurley said Akok is the best player on the team. Akok also has the best attitude I’ve seen from a UConn player ever. Runs to pick his teammates off the floor or simply to give them high 5s. What are you talking about?

While I have some problems with how Hurley is running this team, I am not prepared to attack his substitutions. Hurley is likely seeing half a dozen mistakes a half by the frosh that we are missing. Coaching is not just putting the 5 best players on the court. There is a lot happening every possession and frosh have a learning curve before they understand all of it. If Hurley thinks that Akok and Bouk should be playing the minutes they are currently playing, then he probably knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
Akok should never be taken out unless it’s for foul trouble or exhaustion. Bouknight has to start and I believe he will for the rest of the season. I think starting Bouknight was probably the plan until he got in trouble.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd bury Akok on the bench. We don't want him leaving early.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. If a player is good enough to be leaving after his freshman year, he is putting up 20 and 10 on a team like USF without breaking a sweat.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Watch Akok play. In every game for the first 6 or 7 minutes he is a dominating force on both ends of the floor. For the next 34 minutes we see spurts and splashes of great play but not the dominator that he is early on. For that reason I believe Akok is not physically able to play long minutes of D1 basketball right now. As he grows and gets stronger he will dominate for longer periods. Right now Danny must use him judiciously.

I also see similar in Bouk and Gaff. These guys do not yet have a mature physique. I agree their skill level dictates more minutes, but I don't know if they can handle them without breaking down. We all know stories of players who had great potential but because of physical breakdowns never became what they could. I'm glad for the future because I see Danny bringing them along. He wants to win every game, but he is also invested in the long haul and understands what the priorities are invested in the program and not in the games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Congrats on the worst post of the year early entrant!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom