One theme that's annoying me... | The Boneyard

One theme that's annoying me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When either of our two guards have a bad game (or both in this case), there are a multitude of people who come on here and just mercilessly shred their pro potential - "hope he gets his passport ready", "he clearly won't make the NBA without a ticket" kind of stuff. It never fails.

What purpose does this serve? I expect opposing fans to rip our guys pro potential, but eating our own? Why? Do we not want them to get to the next level? (Hint: it helps recruiting in the future if they do). Do we deep down want them to sabotage their futures, so that they don't turn pro early and have to stay (as in "yay - this guard I think sucks has to come back and play for us again")? Is the fact that they both have NBA aspirations upsetting - they might jilt us for greener pastures? It feels to me that if a guy is one of your players and you're genuinely rooting for him, you want him to get to the NBA, even if he has some ups and downs getting there.

Look, It's one thing to say "he can't afford games like that if he wants to get to the next level", but exiling them to Uzbekistan, or saying they suck so bad they will never be a pro? It just confuses me why so many people are always going there. "Hey Boat - here's this dream of yours, watch me piss on it and laugh."

Reaction Score
...I agree with your point about this ongoing theme...I just saw a post on Amore's post from A Hip Hop Hood....."so much for Ollie as BECOY....he should check his ego, or something like that....WOW!!!!! Players and coaches just constantly thrown under the bus...or should I say the Bandwagon....sheesh.

Reaction Score
...I agree with your point about this ongoing theme...I just saw a post on Amore's post from A Hip Hop Hood....."so much for Ollie as BECOY....he should check his ego, or something like that....WOW!!!!! Players and coaches just constantly thrown under the bus...or should I say the Bandwagon....sheesh.

Did it look like Ollies' team was ready to play? It's a fair question.

Reaction Score
@ Palentine: I guess Hip Hop Hood is your alias? JK...but you missed Gurleyman's point and my follow-up response....it is perfectly fine to offer the POV as a question as you suggest regarding KO's part in today's game...but often these posts, including the HHH post about KO, is presented as a statement of fact, not a question, wrapped in such a layer of negativity at times boarding on ridiculous...I think that was Gurleyman's key point and my basis for agreement. Regarding your question: not unreasonable to consider KO's role in todays' game, I just don't think it would fall in the top 3 reasons for today's lost

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It looked to me like the two best players and two leaders on the team brought their F and F+ games, respectively. Even a D game from either one and we win, but no amount of coaching is going to overcome a game in which neither one of these guys shows up. They are each historically hot and cold; overall Bazz seems more consistent this year than last, but I think it's been the opposite with Boat. Whatever the case, they were both colder than ever today, and it's remarkable to me that the game was even as close as it was.

Reaction Score

So what could KO have done to make sure Bazz and Boat didn't play their worst games of the season, and to have Boat actually not be a negative while on the court? I wish one of these days you would actually spell out what your issues with KO are instead of taking these little pot shots that you do on a consistent basis.

Reaction Score

Welcome to college basketball in 2013. The march to mediocrity. Where anyone can beat anyone. Where you can have a good game 1 day and a bad one the next. I don't like it one bit but I'll be damned if I blame Ollie for it. Is that your theme? Question Ollie after every loss? Did you constantly question the teams preparation last year when they lost 14 games WITH Drummond, Lamb, Orikahi, Smith, etc? Or in 2010 when we went to the NIT with Kemba, Stanley, Jerome, Gavin, etc? Or in 2011 when we went 9-9 in the BE regular season?Even Calhoun couldn't prevent what college bball has become today, where there is little separation between the teams and where many players seem to suffer from ADD with how much their production varies from one game to the next.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When either of our two guards have a bad game (or both in this case), there are a multitude of people who come on here and just mercilessly shred their pro potential - "hope he gets his passport ready", "he clearly won't make the NBA without a ticket" kind of stuff. It never fails.

What purpose does this serve? I expect opposing fans to rip our guys pro potential, but eating our own? Why? Do we not want them to get to the next level? (Hint: it helps recruiting in the future if they do). Do we deep down want them to sabotage their futures, so that they don't turn pro early and have to stay (as in "yay - this guard I think sucks has to come back and play for us again")? Is the fact that they both have NBA aspirations upsetting - they might jilt us for greener pastures? It feels to me that if a guy is one of your players and you're genuinely rooting for him, you want him to get to the NBA, even if he has some ups and downs getting there.

Look, It's one thing to say "he can't afford games like that if he wants to get to the next level", but exiling them to Uzbekistan, or saying they suck so bad they will never be a pro? It just confuses me why so many people are always going there. "Hey Boat - here's this dream of yours, watch me piss on it and laugh."
Lots of reasons why people can't limit discussions to constructive criticism. Putting a team or player down is certainly not the highest level of behavior. But it can feel good. Some people don't know the difference between constructive criticism and bashing. Some are just ranting, and using the rant to get past the anger or disappointment. Not so unhealthy but it would be a better release if it wasn't expressed in public. Some need outcomes so badly they can never forgive or forget. And some people attack other people because putting them down makes them feel superior.

At the best case it's just sloppiness on the fans part. At the worst case it is an attitude problem. Doesn't make the person bad. Just someone with flaws. Not much different than a player with a bad handle or bad release in a shot. Those or physical flaws. These are emotional flaws. And like players it requires a fan to understand the problem, and work out the bad habit. Unfortunately most people with these flaws don't understand their attitude and expressions are flawed. And therefore no advice to the contrary will change their behavior. I mostly take it in stride. I think of them as Division III posters. Every once in a while I find myself at that level of play.:)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
From what was reportedly said by Coach Ollie yesterday (and credit to Husky Fan Dan for prognosticating this) Bazz may very well be testing the NBA waters. Discounting this game, he had been on quite a tear and would likely be a lower first round pick. You are right that seeing our players get drafted definitely helps future recruiting, which is essential for the long-term success of the program.
However, you saw today in the first half and in the first half against St. Johns, this team is definitely not the same without Bazz. Admittedly, Boat had a very sub-par game today, but he still seems to be more of a two guard than a pure point, and most UConn fans have been very much looking forward to greater success next year when we are eligible for post-season again.
Without Bazz, the team's ceiling will definitely be lower and it might be an uphill challenge to improve of this year's team. With Bazz, contending for the Big East title and an elite eight or sweet sixteen finish don't seem like pipe dreams.
If Bazz does leave, hopefully, Samuels will be better than expected and be able to contribute quite a bit at PG.
Many UConn fans, myself included, have been disappointed when some players left early because of the damage it does to UConn's chances that following year. Bazz plays a bigger role on this team than many of the players that left early on the past and he also has a much lower draft projection than previous players. Now he was a significant contributor to the 2011 championship, so he certainly will be remembered fondly regardless but if he were to come back and lead UConn back to strong success, he will be one of the all-time greats. Leave after this year and it will feel a little like Donyell leaving after blowing the FTs against Florida.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From what was reportedly said by Coach Ollie yesterday (and credit to Husky Fan Dan for prognosticating this) Bazz may very well be testing the NBA waters. Discounting this game, he had been on quite a tear and would likely be a lower first round pick. You are right that seeing our players get drafted definitely helps future recruiting, which is essential for the long-term success of the program.
However, you saw today in the first half and in the first half against St. Johns, this team is definitely not the same without Bazz. Admittedly, Boat had a very sub-par game today, but he still seems to be more of a two guard than a pure point, and most UConn fans have been very much looking forward to greater success next year when we are eligible for post-season again.
Without Bazz, the team's ceiling will definitely be lower and it might be an uphill challenge to improve of this year's team. With Bazz, contending for the Big East title and an elite eight or sweet sixteen finish don't seem like pipe dreams.
If Bazz does leave, hopefully, Samuels will be better than expected and be able to contribute quite a bit at PG.
Many UConn fans, myself included, have been disappointed when some players left early because of the damage it does to UConn's chances that following year. Bazz plays a bigger role on this team than many of the players that left early on the past and he also has a much lower draft projection than previous players. Now he was a significant contributor to the 2011 championship, so he certainly will be remembered fondly regardless but if he were to come back and lead UConn back to strong success, he will be one of the all-time greats. Leave after this year and it will feel a little like Donyell leaving after blowing the FTs against Florida.
As a disinterested observer if SN could get a a decent draft pick I want him to go - he's ready. As I fan, I would wish he would return for one more year. He is that ahead of the rest of the team now but next year he should have more support as they catch up in skill level and that could mean next year can be special.

I don't hold it against any player to do the right thing for themselves. I wouldn't expect them to interfere with how I go through life. And I feel that wearing UConn sweat shirts doesn't give me the right to hold them back. So I don't value players based on their staying or leaving. Just how they handled themselves while they were in uniform.

The weird thing is I think SN is the type of kid who would try to help the program. But I think KO would insist he leaves if he hears the pros are interested in Shabazz. This is no different than Rudy and JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom