One or Two More? | The Boneyard

One or Two More?

Reaction Score
I've seen differences of opinion scattered across various recruiting threads, and thought I'd ask the question here in its own thread.

Reed is on board. We're recruiting McNeeley (wing) as well as several guards with varying levels of ballhandling skills (Brea, Hausen, Mahaney).

Assuming Castle leaves but everyone else stays (Diarra, Karaban, and the remaining four rising sophomores), how many new players are we brining in?

If McNeeley commits, is that it and we drop our interest in the guards?

Or, assuming McNeeley commits, are we also bringing in one of the guards as well?

IMO, we should be bringing in three players in total, so ideally Reed, McNeeley and a guard (ideally with some handle to assist Diarra and Nowell with ballhandling and distribution). That would provide cover for injuries and give us a deep rotation that was key this year.

Some have argued that this might block the progress of some of the rising sophomores and freshmen. I can see that as a valid opinion as well.

So I'm curious where you all stand. What say you?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMO, it would ideally be McNeeley, and Hausen for off the bench and assuming everyone else but castle returns we’d have a full roster. And a really well constructed roster IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO, it would ideally be McNeeley and Hausen for off the bench and assuming everyone else but castle returns we’d have a full roster. And a really well constructed roster IMO.

If we grab McNeeley I'd be shocked if he isn't the starting 3... Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
How good are the sophomores? Only the team knows and those close to the team.

Ball played at the beginning of the year, hasn't played since. I am sure he has gotten better.

Stewart played some at the end of the year. Made some nice 3s.

Reaction Score
If we grab McNeeley I'd be shocked if he isn't the starting 3... Just my opinion.
Over Stewart? I don't know about that. Stewart will have had a full year of Hurley's defense and offense under his belt. Liam would easily get starter minutes though because we'd have 3 guys to play 80 minutes at the 3/4 spot (Karaban, Stewart, McNeeley). That could look like this:

Karaban: 30 minutes at the 4
Stewart: 25 minutes at the 3/4
McNeeley: 25 minutes at the 3/4

Not sure how much Abraham will crack the rotation this year. If McNeeley comes on board, it'll likely be a development year for him

Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but these top transfer targets must realize that there are only a couple of chances to play for Danny, our staff and this program.
These are major opportunities for them so they need to be pretty quick.

Reaction Score
I've seen differences of opinion scattered across various recruiting threads, and thought I'd ask the question here in its own thread.

Reed is on board. We're recruiting McNeeley (wing) as well as several guards with varying levels of ballhandling skills (Brea, Hausen, Mahaney).

Assuming Castle leaves but everyone else stays (Diarra, Karaban, and the remaining four rising sophomores), how many new players are we brining in?

If McNeeley commits, is that it and we drop our interest in the guards?

Or, assuming McNeeley commits, are we also bringing in one of the guards as well?

IMO, we should be bringing in three players in total, so ideally Reed, McNeeley and a guard (ideally with some handle to assist Diarra and Nowell with ballhandling and distribution). That would provide cover for injuries and give us a deep rotation that was key this year.

Some have argued that this might block the progress of some of the rising sophomores and freshmen. I can see that as a valid opinion as well.

So I'm curious where you all stand. What say you?

Two things:

1. First of all, as far as McNeeley starting: think of how Castle developed into a starter this year (slowed a bit by the November knee injury, but the trajectory of him becoming the starter way already revealed by Hurley at that point) and you have a general blueprint.

2. If Alex comes back... my bet is that you will see the coaching staff help Alex to grow more of a "point forward" aspect to his game. He is already a great passer, and I can easily see him as being in the Andre Jackson role, IN THIS ONE ASPECT, AS I AM NOT COMPARING THEM AS PLAYERS AS THEY OBVIOUSLY BRING DIFFERENT THINGS TO THE GAME.... That is, to smoothly move out top and be able to run the offense at different points during any particularly offensive set, depending upon what is going on within the game.

Think about it... if you want to raise Alex's value to the NBA, how would you do it? 3 ways. Get him stronger, help him become a bit more consistent on his 3-point shooting, and show off how easily his elite-level game can be expanded by highlighting his very high level passing ability. And the best part is, we do not have to change anything in our offense. This will require a bit of tinkering, nothing more. In fact, it makes us just as if not more lethal, and even harder to defend.

Reaction Score
Just to add to this discussion, Hurley and the team were at the state capitol yesterday, and he made these comments which COULD be interpreted to mean they might only be looking to add one more player to Reed instead of two. Tea leaves, I realize...

"We’re in construction, the architecture of trying to put together all the right pieces and another great team,” Hurley said. “We’re not looking to put together an all-star team. We’d like to retain as many players as we can, that would make sense for us, so we can carry over a lot of our culture. But we’ll be strategic and smart. We won’t add a lot because we feel like we’ve got a lot coming back, even though we’re probably going to lose more.”

The "lose more" comment was likely related to Castle, so let's not flip out about that.

Hurley at the state capitol

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It’s possible that if we land McNeeley next week we bank that final scholarship for the summer edition of the portal to see if any diamonds shake loose.

Both Joey C and Cam were great June adds for us…

Reaction Score
Just to add to this discussion, Hurley and the team were at the state capital yesterday, and he made these comments which COULD be interpreted to mean they might only be looking to add one more player to Reed instead of two. Tea leaves, I realize...

"We’re in construction, the architecture of trying to put together all the right pieces and another great team,” Hurley said. “We’re not looking to put together an all-star team. We’d like to retain as many players as we can, that would make sense for us, so we can carry over a lot of our culture. But we’ll be strategic and smart. We won’t add a lot because we feel like we’ve got a lot coming back, even though we’re probably going to lose more.”

The "lose more" comment was likely related to Castle, so let's not flip out about that.

Hurley at the state capital
This is what Borges' article said as well. It was McNeeley as the shooter addition, not McNeeley + shooter. The rotation is too jammed up already to fill all our scholarships with guys that want to play.

If Karaban and Diarra return - Reed + 1 more in the rotation (McNeeley or Brea or someone like that) + 1 more bench depth guard that won't see a ton of minutes (Joey C level that probably won't hit as hard).
If Diarra returns but not Karaban - Reed + 2 more in the rotation (One 2G shooter and 1 bigger wing shooter).

Reaction Score
If Karaban and Diarra return - Reed + 1 more in the rotation, 1 more bench depth guard that won't see a ton of minutes (Joey C level).

None of the guards we've been connected with thus far meet this criteria, right? Brea, Mahaney and Hausen would not expect to be "bench depth" I'm thinking. So if this is true, that bench guard has yet to be identified in the media.

Reaction Score
Ideal scenario for me…

Diarra / Nowell
Ball / Hausen
McNeeley / Romoglou
Karaban / Stewart
Johnson / Reed
I expect to see Stewart starting and with an improved outside shot, I expect to see him as a first rounder in next year's draft. The kid is explosive and at points in the tournament, you could see him physically imposing his will on the opponent. Castle is gone. Now, other than Stewart, we actually don't have a guy who through strength and quickness can bully the other team.

Stewart is our bully.

Reaction Score
None of the guards we've been connected with thus far meet this criteria, right? Brea, Mahaney and Hausen would not expect to be "bench depth" I'm thinking. So if this is true, that bench guard has yet to be identified in the media.
Correct. I think it would be similar to Joey C. A later piece, probably even a grad transfer that can enter the portal late. A steady break-in-case of emergency guy if Nowell doesn't live up to expectations or somebody gets hurt.

I think the rest of the guys are McNeeley hedges.

Reaction Score
From that same article, Hurley talking about Ross, Stewart and Ball:

Freshman forward Jayden Ross was the only player not with the team at the Capitol. Hurley said nothing should be read into that. Ross, Hurley said, was sick. Hurley then praised Ross and two other freshmen, Solo Ball and Jaylin Stewart.

“I hope he didn’t stay on campus to go to compliance,” Hurley said of Ross. “I don’t think so. We feel good about J-Ross, Solo and J-Stew. For us to stay where we are, they’ve got to take big jumps.”

Reaction Score
Over Stewart? I don't know about that. Stewart will have had a full year of Hurley's defense and offense under his belt. Liam would easily get starter minutes though because we'd have 3 guys to play 80 minutes at the 3/4 spot (Karaban, Stewart, McNeeley). That could look like this:

Karaban: 30 minutes at the 4
Stewart: 25 minutes at the 3/4
McNeeley: 25 minutes at the 3/4

Not sure how much Abraham will crack the rotation this year. If McNeeley comes on board, it'll likely be a development year for him

I really like Stewart and he had some big moments. I think, collectively as a board, we are underrating McNeeley. Just my $0.02. Obviously the defense factor is huge and tbd. But I could see both getting similar minutes for sure.

Reaction Score
Hassan said he’s coming back. If Karaban comes back then Liam + transfer CG like Joey C. That’s a 9 man rotation come tourney time not including Ross and Abraham.

Reaction Score
Hassan said he’s coming back. If Karaban comes back then Liam + transfer CG like Joey C. That’s a 9 man rotation come tourney time not including Ross and Abraham.

I think that's what people are concerned about if we bring in a guard in addition to McNeeley: that Ross will be pushed to the sidelines when he should be in the rotation.

Reaction Score
I think that's what people are concerned about if we bring in a guard in addition to McNeeley: that Ross will be pushed to the sidelines when he should be in the rotation.
But We need a third ball handler

Reaction Score
I really like Stewart and he had some big moments. I think, collectively as a board, we are underrating McNeeley. Just my $0.02. Obviously the defense factor is huge and tbd. But I could see both getting similar minutes for sure.
I'm not trying to underrate McNeeley, I just have extremely high expectations for Stewart. That 2nd year jump under Hurley and Co. is insane. We've seen it over and over again so at this point I just assume it's going to happen lol. I have no reason to believe it won't

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom