One more time, the Hartley height controversy | The Boneyard

One more time, the Hartley height controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ok...not really a controvery, but what the heck?

USA WUG Roster with height

Photos from championship ceremony

As you scroll through the pictures, you will see Hartley with various players. Here are my observations.

Photo 7 - Hartley looks a couple of inches shorter than the 6' KML.
Photo 9 - Team photo. Standing next to 5'9" Schimmel and 5'6" Massengale, Hartley looks at least 3 inches taller than Massengale. Schimmel is a little behind Hartley, but Schimmel looks a little shorter.
Photo 10 - Hartley looks a few inches taller than Massengale. And a couple of inches shorter than KML.
Photo 11 - Hartley is clearly taller than the 5'8" Sims and 5'6" Massengale on her left and the 5'7" Ellenberg and 5'9" Schimmel on her right. Ellenberg looks shorter than her listed height.
Photo 13, 15, 16, and 18 - Same as above

Hartley actually looks like she has grown an inch from last year to 5'10".

Reaction Score

As you scroll through the pictures, you will see Hartley with various players. Here are my observations.

Photo 9 - Team photo. Standing next to 5'9" Schimmel and 5'6" Massengale, Hartley looks at least 3 inches taller than Massengale. Schimmel is a little behind Hartley, but Schimmel looks a little shorter.
Photo 10 - Hartley looks a few inches taller than Massengale. And a couple of inches shorter than KML.
Photo 11 - Hartley is clearly taller than the 5'8" Sims and 5'6" Massengale on her left and the 5'7" Ellenberg and 5'9" Schimmel on her right. Ellenberg looks shorter than her listed height.

Sounds like one of those Algebra problems everyone loved in high school.

Reaction Score

Hartley is actually taller than KML. Massengale has grown 2 inches from last year. Hartley is still taller than her, which means that Hartley has grown even more. Hartley is also taller than Sims and Ellenburg and towers over Shimmel, even though Shimmel has recently experienced a growth spurt. KLM also had a growth spurt, but Hartley is still taller. Which leads me to this conclusion : In real life, Bria Hartley is 6 feet, 7 inches tall! She is a BEAST! (She just hides it well.)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hartley is actually taller than KML. Massengale has grown 2 inches from last year. Hartley is still taller than her, which means that Hartley has grown even more. Hartley is also taller than Sims and Ellenburg and towers over Shimmel, even though Shimmel has recently experienced a growth spurt. KLM also had a growth spurt, but Hartley is still taller. Which leads me to this conclusion : In real life, Bria Hartley is 6 feet, 7 inches tall! She is a BEAST! (She just hides it well.)
Don't make fun of your elders.

Reaction Score
As of January 2013, my best guess, based on what I saw and on what trusty dusty iphone recorded:

Stef 6-5
Buck 6-4
Stewie 6-3
Too cute 6-3
Tuck 6-1
Faris 5-11
Doty 5-10
KML 5-10
Banks 5-9+
Bria 5-8
7th grader 5-5

image.jpg

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As of January 2013, best guess, based on what I saw and on what trusty dusty iphone recorded, KML is 5-10; Bria 5-8 maybe:
That makes Massengale 5'4", Sims 5'5" and Ellenberg 5'2".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Bria is between 5'9 - 5'10 and KML is between 5-11 and 6'.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I prefer comparison based on what I saw and demonstrated.
I stood right next to Hartley when she was visiting after she verballed to Uconn while still in HS.

She was 5'9" then. A little taller now.

The photos from the ceremony today show what she is compared to her peers.

Reaction Score

You might be right. I formed opinion Banks was taller than her listed 5-9. I also formed opinion Doty and KML and Banks were all about the same height, with virtually no discern able difference. Faris was seen to be taller than KML.

One thing for sure, Bria is 3 inches taller than MoJeff.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As of January 2013, my best guess, based on what I saw and on what trusty dusty iphone recorded:

Stef 6-5
Buck 6-4
Stewie 6-3
Too cute 6-3
Tuck 6-1
Faris 5-11
Doty 5-10
KML 5-10
Banks 5-9+
Bria 5-8
7th grader 5-5

View attachment 3224

1. GREAT seats....I'm jealous!!!
2. The pictures from the USA site are way clearer, from straight on and show the differential in the player heights when standing next to each other.
3. Based on that Hartley is taller than the other 4 guards and even Schimmel, who is listed as 5'9".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is the correct answer, for anyone who can tolerate a (small) range. I think Kaleena is just under 6' and Bria is a little under 5'10". I stood next to Bria at the JW Marriott in April. She's a little taller than Geno and a little shorter than me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Stef 6-5
Buck 6-4
Stewie 6-3
Too cute 6-3
Tuck 6-1
Faris 5-11
Doty 5-10
KML 5-10
Banks 5-9+
Bria 5-8
7th grader 5-5

View attachment 3224
The 7th grader is so fast that no one has been able to measure her.

Reaction Score
1. GREAT seats....I'm jealous!!!
2. The pictures from the USA site are way clearer, from straight on and show the differential in the player heights when standing next to each other.
3. Based on that Hartley is taller than the other 4 guards and even Schimmel, who is listed as 5'9".

The seats were truly awesome. Circumstances were unusual. You won't likely have to be jealous again :)

Though nowhere near the quality of the USA pics, a couple of points of information about the iPhone snapshot are noteworthy.

1-the team appears to be deliberately lined up from tallest to shortest, separate and apart from listed height.

2-Note that Buck is second, even though listed at 6-3 and Stewie third, though listed at 6-4. Equally compelling, Faris (5-11) is next to Tuck, who IMO, is 6-1 maybe, and not 6-2. KML is not even next to Faris, who appears taller than both Doty (5-10) and KML (?-?). On this basis, my guess is 5-10 for KML and no more. As mentioned before, Banks appears to be the same height as KML, so I'm willing to nudge her to 5-10. I'm also prepared to go along with Bria being clearly taller than 5-7, for sure. I'll give her 5-8+. MoJeff is about 5-5, but elevates more like 5-9 and does so in a hurry.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The seats were truly awesome. Circumstances were unusual. You won't likely have to be jealous again :)

Though nowhere near the quality of the USA pics, a couple of points of information about the iPhone snapshot are noteworthy.

1-the team appears to be deliberately lined up from tallest to shortest, separate and apart from listed height.

2-Note that Buck is second, even though listed at 6-3 and Stewie third, though listed at 6-4. Equally compelling, Faris (5-11) is next to Tuck, who IMO, is 6-1 maybe, and not 6-2. KML is not even next to Faris, who appears taller than both Doty (5-10) and KML (?-?). On this basis, my guess is 5-10 for KML and no more. As mentioned before, Banks appears to be the same height as KML, so I'm willing to nudge her to 5-10. I'm also prepared to go along with Bria being clearly taller than 5-7, for sure. I'll give her 5-8+. MoJeff is about 5-5, but elevates more like 5-9 and does so in a hurry.

I don't think they are lined up by exact height. Just an approximation. Otherwise, KML would be lined up after Tuck.

I think you are way off to use that to determine the heights of the players.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are lined up by exact height. Just an approximation. Otherwise, KML would be lined up after Tuck.

I think you are way off to use that to determine the heights of the players.

DD, the above is, IMO, not your best use of logic. That said, and as I've said in another response, you might be right. None of us have access to an accurate scale, let alone a competent trainer doing the measuring. This is a summer, off season controversy. I'm enjoying the friendly banter.

Somewhat unusual for wbb, the USA data include weight. Whether KML is 6-0 as claimed, or
5-10 as I see it, she has the build to play the 4 and is quick enough for the 3. To borrow your phrase, KML, at 185, can engage in posterior positioning so as to play like she's 6-1 even if she's 5-10.

On that basis, I have no quarrel with listing her at 6-0. She is, however, more likely 5-10 and not even 5-10+.

HGN

Reaction Score
No girl stands taller than when she hits that key basket that gives UConn the lead or for the win.:)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD, the above is, IMO, not your best use of logic. That said, and as I've said in another response, you might be right. None of us have access to an accurate scale, let alone a competent trainer doing the measuring. This is a summer, off season controversy. I'm enjoying the friendly banter.

Somewhat unusual for wbb, the USA data include weight. Whether KML is 6-0 as claimed, or
5-10 as I see it, she has the build to play the 4 and is quick enough for the 3. To borrow your phrase, KML, at 185, can engage in posterior positioning so as to play like she's 6-1 even if she's 5-10.

On that basis, I have no quarrel with listing her at 6-0. She is, however, more likely 5-10 and not even 5-10+.
KML is taller than Doty and Faris. I have seen them next to each other for 2 years. Also, Stewart is taller than Buck. Based on that, I don't see how they are EXACTLY lined up by height.

I don't think they measured or weighed any of the players. Otherwise Hartley would not be listed at 5'7", which she is clearly not.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Just stand her next to the President on their next White House Visit. I'm pretty sure we can find out how tall he is.

Reaction Score
KML is taller than Doty and Faris. I have seen them next to each other for 2 years. Also, Stewart is taller than Buck. Based on that, I don't see how they are EXACTLY lined up by height.

I don't think they measured or weighed any of the players. Otherwise Hartley would not be listed at 5'7", which she is clearly not.

UCONN lists Bria at 5-7, but I have noted that in your game analyses, you list her at 5-9. I'm easy with that, as you are basing your claim on what you've seen. You and I both wear glasses, but I'm willing to accredit what you say.

I think Banks is taller than Bria. Banks is listed at 5-9. I think Banks is the same height as KML as that is what it looked like to me. I also think Doty is the same height as KML, basis my observation; and Faris a little taller than the 3 mentioned as being 5-10.

It's possible UCONN will adjust the listed heights, as perhaps, they should. If they do, I feel confident Bria and Banks will both gain in height; KML and Tuck will each lose an inch and maybe 2.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
UCONN lists Bria at 5-7, but I have noted that in your game analyses, you list her at 5-9. I'm easy with that, as you are basing your claim on what you've seen. You and I both wear glasses, but I'm willing to accredit what you say. View attachment 3229

The reason DD said "One more time" in his OP subject title is that this is all old news.

He is not basing his 5'9" estimate for Bria entirely on photos and eyeballing. There was a lot of chit chat about Bria's true height a couple of years ago, and subsequently some members of the Horde asked her about it directly. In those video interviews (which were posted online at the time) Bria is heard discussing the varibles (shoes, no shoes, etc.) and at the end of the discussion it became clear that 5'9" was the best rounded figure. I believe she said that she is closer to 5'10" with shoes on but I don't remember for sure.

Reaction Score
The reason DD said "One more time" in his OP subject title is that this is all old news.

He is not basing his 5'9" estimate for Bria entirely on photos and eyeballing. There was a lot of chit chat about Bria's true height a couple of years ago, and subsequently some members of the Horde asked her about it directly. In those video interviews (which were posted online at the time) Bria is heard discussing the varibles (shoes, no shoes, etc.) and at the end of the discussion it became clear that 5'9" was the best rounded figure. I believe she said that she is closer to 5'10" with shoes on but I don't remember for sure.

...1000 words:
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member