2024 Recruiting: - One more potential add? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: One more potential add?

Reaction Score
One piece we didn't have last year is a body to guard really physical 4's, where they could back down AK at ease. No one behind AK that can really guard that kind of guy either, guys like Reneau, Ingram, etc. I would think if he did anything, it would be just to get a body for depth in the event we played a team with a really strong PF. That, or get a developmental mid major. One thing I've heard Pope is doing is holding a couple spots open for guys that enter draft, then pull out. Always good to have a spot for opportunistic reasons as you never know how things will fall these days.

Reaction Score
One piece we didn't have last year is a body to guard really physical 4's, where they could back down AK at ease. No one behind AK that can really guard that kind of guy either, guys like Reneau, Ingram, etc. I would think if he did anything, it would be just to get a body for depth in the event we played a team with a really strong PF. That, or get a developmental mid major. One thing I've heard Pope is doing is holding a couple spots open for guys that enter draft, then pull out. Always good to have a spot for opportunistic reasons as you never know how things will fall these days.
I don't think AK got backed down with ease. He added muscle and seemed to hold his own even against some bigger centers. It definitely was something he worked on last year offseason to get stronger. I agree that Stewart and especially McNeely would need to add muscle to bang down low. This year we don't have Clingan to cover for guys so it will be interesting how we do inside. I think on offense we will be a better shooting team than this year with who we keep and those we bring in. The team will look a little different for sure but same concept of stretch 4 to keep the lanes open is what we will have this year.

Reaction Score
An addition might be more for practice numbers than anything else. If Karaban leaves I can see picking up a reserve stretch 4 with some defensive physicality and rebounding ability.

Reaction Score
2 of Mahaney, Ball, Stewart, McNeeley would come off the bench and it seems crazy to suggest any of them do. So I'm not sure what to predict

That's why I say our bench could make a tournament team. Let's say Mahaney and Stewart start. Well Solo and McNeeley would be a luxury for 90% of teams in the country to have in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
I think 2023 was the proof of this. Samson goes down with an injury in his first game and the 4 ends up being 6’8” freshman Alex Karaban, for the remainder of the season. Going into the Big East in early 23 there was talk about him not being strong enough physically for the opposition, but what it did for our offense was impossible to ignore. And outside of a couple buckets, it wasn’t an exploitative problem at all for our defense.
It is really hard to beat an opponent on a game plan of "our 4 is going to bully your 4."

On the other hand, it's really easy to beat an opponent on a game plan of "sag off of their bigs and stick close to their few shooters."

Reaction Score
Coleman Hawkins just entered the nba process while also entering the transfer portal. could be a good backup if karaban decides to stay in the draft.

Reaction Score
You mentioned 2 power forwards in games that we won by a combined million points.
If that player type scores 30 points against us, and we still win by 20, then I don't think it's something we should be targeting.
Our only losses were to teams that lit us up from 3, and a big bodied 4 won't help there.

What we lose on defense we make up for in gained offense. No matter what, we won't have EVERY player type on the team. Certain people told us all that not having Sanogo on this team would be a problem, instead we won all the games by a zillion without him.

Reaction Score
Why Can't Stewart put on some weight on his frame and come back like Karaban did for his sophomore year?
Stew was listed at 6'7 205 last year so he'd have to grow an inch and gain 15 lbs to come back the same size as AK... Here are the starting PFs from the final poll top 10:

Alex Karaban- 6'8 220
Kaufmen Renn- 6'9 230
Grant Nelson- 6'11 230
JaVier Francis- 6'8 240
Jordan James- 6'6 225
Guerrier- 6'8 220
Harrison Ingram is 6'7 235
Momcilovic is 6'8 210
Mark Mitchell 6'9 230
Diarra- 6'10 215

There's enough talent to three-peat without AK. With AK people will be talking about taking UConn over the field.
i agree with your second sentence but that's because AK is our best and most indispensable player by a federal mile. he takes us from the second weekend to the third by himself.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to think Mahaney might be a super sub 6th man next year, playing close to starters minutes. I just think it would make more sense given our personnel.
you gave Ball 10 minutes in your rotation projection so who do you have starting at SG if not Mahaney?

Reaction Score
Diarra, Mahaney, Mcneely, Karaban, SJ --- seems like ideal starters but I have no clue how the staff spins it to Stewart and Ball while keeping them confident. Honestly they should be fine with being major bench contributors on a title favorite but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Stew was listed at 6'7 205 last year so he'd have to grow an inch and gain 15 lbs to come back the same size as AK... Here are the starting PFs from the final poll top 10:

Alex Karaban- 6'8 220
Kaufmen Renn- 6'9 230
Grant Nelson- 6'11 230
JaVier Francis- 6'8 240
Jordan James- 6'6 225
Guerrier- 6'8 220
Harrison Ingram is 6'7 235
Momcilovic is 6'8 210
Mark Mitchell 6'9 230
Diarra- 6'10 215

i agree with your second sentence but that's because AK is our best and most indispensable player by a federal mile. he takes us from the second weekend to the third by himself.
I wouldn't worry about 1 inch and Stewart has the frame to gain the weight. He is already a more physical player than Karaban. On offense we play with a stretch 4 even if a little undersized. We can exploit big guys on the offensive side of the court. This is how uconn plays with a versatile maybe a little undersized pf.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about 1 inch and Stewart has the frame to gain the weight. He is already a more physical player than Karaban. With this offense we play with a stretch 3 even if a little undersized. We can exploit big guys on the offensesive side of the court. This is how uconn plays with a versatile maybe a little undersized pf.
not in one off-season he doesnt. idk what you saw that lead you believe stew is more physical than AK. Stew plays more like a big guard than big man. he's a finesse player.

Reaction Score
idk what you saw that lead you believe stew is more physical than AK. Stew plays more like a big guard than big man. he's a finesse player.
Because I saw someone in there banging bodies and fighting for rebounds even in limited minutes. You know know Karaban has been described as a guard to on broadcasts. Also, Karban was 10 lbs lighter his Freshman year. You don't think Stewart can't come back with more pounds on his body? I wouldn't worry about 1 inch and 5 lbs since I think Stewart is a better athlete than Karaban. I think you are stuck in the 2000's with the traditional PFs UConn had then. That isn't how we play now and we have been successful with this type of stretch four. Now I will say we won't have Clingan to clean up messes but that is something Hurley will have to game plan for. I trust in Hurley.

Reaction Score
Theres a couple stretch 4s sitting in the draft process that Id assume we show sharp interest in if Alex stays in the draft. Those kids are also focused on the draft and may be looking for an opportunity if the draft isnt for them.

Reaction Score
Because I saw someone in there banging bodies and fighting for rebounds even in limited minutes. You know know Karaban has been described as a guard to on broadcasts. Also, Karban was 10 lbs lighter his Freshman year. You don't think Stewart can't come back with more pounds on his body? I wouldn't worry about 1 inch and 5 lbs since I think Stewart is a better athlete than Karaban. I think you are stuck in the 2000's with the traditional PFs UConn had then. That isn't how we play now and we have been successful with this type of stretch four. Now I will say we won't have Clingan to clean up messes but that is something Hurley will have to game plan for. I trust in Hurley.
that doesnt mean he's more physcial than AK, who was doing it for 30 mpg and even guarding Edey in the chip game. and dont patronize me about being stuck in the 2000s i fully understand the value of a stretch 4 to our offense. but are you saying you wouldnt take Charlie V next year? replacing our most important player with an undersized stretch 4 that barely made the rotation is going to tank our chances at 3peating.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Theres a couple stretch 4s sitting in the draft process that Id assume we show sharp interest in if Alex stays in the draft. Those kids are also focused on the draft and may be looking for an opportunity if the draft isnt for them.

See Jaylen Wells (6'8" 205 lbs) and Kasean Pryor (6'10" 200 lbs). If Karaban stayed in the draft but either of these two did not, they make a lot of sense in late May.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom