Ollie's Press Conference - Interesting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie's Press Conference - Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm well aware we were "looking at him." Also well aware he didn't come here.

He committed to Ole Miss in April. We contacted him practically right after we got back from the plane off of winning the title. We tried with a couple other fifth-year guys, a couple of whom couldn't get into our grad school.

It has nothing to do with why the walkons got scholarships that wouldn't have been used by anyone anyway.

Reaction Score
I've never criticized KO before. But, I am deeply concerned about him calling out players in a press conference. I don't like coaches airing dirty laundry. Plus, these are college kids, not pros. They're less likely to be able to handle it. I just worry about what this does to morale, and whether the very problem you're talking about will spiral out of control. I'm not worried a bit about talent of this team, but maturity might be a whole different story.

Reaction Score
Good news: welcome back to the year after a championship. They have sucked for us.

Reaction Score
Why do players decide when they play. How was purvis mcd aa? Looks terrible.

Reaction Score
The only thing SamJr should be doing is looking to get an open shot from 3 and thats it. He shouldnt be trying to create his own shot, driving or bringing it up court. He should also lose some weight.

Really, TSam shooting threes? Have you watched him shoot the ball? The most glaring weakness in his game is probably outside shooting, and you want him just hoisting up threes. Brilliant. No question Samuel has been awful this year, but he looked pretty solid driving to the paint during our run last year.

Reaction Score
Really, TSam shooting threes? Have you watched him shoot the ball? The most glaring weakness in his game is probably outside shooting, and you want him just hoisting up threes. Brilliant. No question Samuel has been awful this year, but he looked pretty solid driving to the paint during our run last year.
When sam is able to get an open look and isnt falling away or to the side he hits all net. Im not saying he should be first option but if hes open he should take it. Tsam should do nothing but play defense and drive to the basket occasionally when its there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
at least Purvis tried to play.
he looked terrible to start the game though.

Looks like that Ferrari is gonna stay in the garage.

it's time to tune it up

PS: I love the fire, it's time to kick butt

Reaction Score
sam cassell jr, not terrence samuel

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If medically cleared players who could've helped the team win are sitting out because they don't feel mentally ready to play, hell yes they should be called out. JC would've gone out of his mind if any of this went down under his watch.

Reaction Score
Best offensive play of the night was his long fast break pass to Hamilton. We need more TSam not less.

I vehemently disagree with this. Yes, that long pass was great, but TSam overall has been hugely, hugely ineffective this year. Without the shooters from last year or any semblance of a shot himself his man knows that his only option on offense is to drive, and even when he does manage to beat his man he hasn't been able to finish at the rim or really create well at all. He hasn't done a great job running the point, he can't really score, and he's even taken a decent step back in defensive ability from last year. I like the kid, he hustles and he was a major contributor during the run last year, but I think he's been a liability on offense for most of this year

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Ollie also said that he told his player's exactly what to do at the end of both games.
His player's didn't do what he told them to do and that is his fault.
said he needs to put players out there that will listen to him and do what they are suppose to.

seems cassell and hamilton atre the two players that botched the switching screens both times?
i don't remember, i was too busy yelling at my tv.
that's sorta throwing your players under the bus though.
but at this stage i guess he's just calling people out to motivate them.

Reaction Score
Ollie also said that he told his player's exactly what to do at the end of both games.
His player's didn't do what he told them to do and that is his fault.
said he needs to put players out there that will listen to him and do what they are suppose to.

seems cassell and hamilton atre the two players that botched the switching screens both times?
i don't remember, i was too busy yelling at my tv.
that's sorta throwing your players under the bus though.
but at this stage i guess he's just calling people out to motivate them.

Texas was Boat getting caught on the high side of a screen and rolling his ankle, but he was going to be late on the contest anyway without the injury. It was Hamilton's man, but he stopped, anticipating the switch. Cassell wasn't involved in that one (he was guarding the inbounds pass).

This time, the player who scored was Boat's man originally who ran diagonally all the way across the court off a screen - Boat recognized it and called out for the switch with Cassell (in plenty of time - he was pointing before his man even got there). Cassell was late reacting to it - sagged too far into the paint and realized what was happening about a Mississippi too late. Hamilton wouldn't have been involved in the play, but left his man to try to bail everyone else out.

Reaction Score
On ball defender did nothing. At least angle your body to prevent opposite corner pass (always a potential weak spot on inbounds plays).

Reaction Score
We lost to a top 5 team by a last second 3 and we lost with a gimpy team by a last second 3... We could very easily be at 5-0 instead of 3-2. We deffinately have talent that just hasnt showed up yet. The skill is there its the chemistry i hope is there. I dread another 2012 rehash

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
We lost to a top 5 team by a last second 3 and we lost with a gimpy team by a last second 3... We could very easily be at 5-0 instead of 3-2. We deffinately have talent that just hasnt showed up yet. The skill is there its the chemistry i hope is there. I dread another 2012 rehash

too bad we're 3-3 though.

west virginia kicked our butts too.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
On ball defender did nothing. At least angle your body to prevent opposite corner pass (always a potential weak spot on inbounds plays).

I would think Brimah should always be the on ball defender on the out of bounds play?
seems like it would be hard to see and throw in over him.

Reaction Score
I didn't see your post before I posted mine, but this is true. He tried to get Justin Martin and Calvin Godfrey. They went to SMU and Memphis, respectively.

Godfrey wanted to come here and would've helped too. But he did't get past admissions from what I read and heard!

Reaction Score
Whenever seasons start going this way I have to close my eyes and think about the championships, all the games we found a way to win somehow. I definitely feel like to have some breaks and get huge wins, you need to suck it up when the pendulum swings the other way. This definitely appears to be another one of those seasons. I hope we can salvage a season, win the AAC and go to the tourney. I hope nobody leaves or goes pro because of this, including coach. Gonna be a loooong winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom