Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I was waiting for this to happen. If Miller lied it’ll come out if he didn’t lie it’ll also come out not sure which one is worse.

Reaction Score
So looks like this is about this part of Miller's testimon

“She articulated to my wife that Kevin provided her with somewhere in the neighborhood, I think, of $30,000 to make the move … and you know with that she was indebted to him, and she would be able to move into an apartment,” Miller told the NCAA’s Assistant Director of Enforcement Russell Register during a November interview in the New London offices of Miller's attorney, Tony Coric.

Reaction Score
If KO provided Shonn Miller’s mother with $30,000 wouldn’t that be easily traced? Unless he gave her gold bullion this is an easy one right?

pj

Reaction Score
If KO provided Shonn Miller’s mother with $30,000 wouldn’t that be easily traced? Unless he gave her gold bullion this is an easy one right?

For the FBI, it would be easy to trace. For Glen Miller, no. Presumably Ollie would have given his own money, similar to Book Richardson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one thought Ollie's scorched earth approach would be put out with a garden hose, did they?

Much like an acrimonious divorce all sorts of previously unknown details are going to be laid out for the public to see.

Reaction Score
Could be a win-win. Ollie gets his millions from Miller. Then he drops his case against UConn and two sides make up and UConn brings KO back into the alumni family.

No, I don't think this would happen, but it would be cool!

Reaction Score
This must mean he's really striking out with getting anything from UConn. That he now has to dip down to Plan H to try and get some money from this situation...

He may very well be striking out with getting anything from UConn. But Ollie has been very very angry about the accusation from Miller about paying the mother. This suit may have happened even if Ollie was to get his full 10mil from UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is a 1981 movie starring Paul Newman that Ollie might want to watch.

Reaction Score
He may very well be striking out with getting anything from UConn. But Ollie has been very very angry about the accusation from Miller about paying the mother. This suit may have happened even if Ollie was to get his full 10mil from UConn.
It also may have happened even if monkeys flew out of my butt.
Seriously though, I'm sure a lawyer can better educate us on how winning a slander case against an individual is extremely difficult. My cursory knowledge is you have to prove 3 elements; 1) false, 2) publication, 3) negligence. It will be hard enough to PROVE #1 to a court, 2 and 3 against an individual I think is really difficult. Standard that otherwise the courts would be chock full of everyone suing everyone else for gossip. But again leave it to lawyers for how legally slander is applied to statements to a court.
Regardless, seems obvious that its yet another PR stunt and lawsuit meant not to actually adjucate the merits in a court room, but to simply get $ in any and every way possible other than say diligently coaching basketball teams to earn money.

Reaction Score
Has the alleged payment by Ollie been used by UConn in the reasons for his firing? I don’t recall seeing that. You would normally think that KO only sues for slander because the alleged payment never happened, but after seeing the decisions he has made since being fired, I’m not so sure. Should have taken a buyout and gotten an nba job.

Reaction Score
It also may have happened even if monkeys flew out of my butt.
Seriously though, I'm sure a lawyer can better educate us on how winning a slander case against an individual is extremely difficult. My cursory knowledge is you have to prove 3 elements; 1) false, 2) publication, 3) negligence. It will be hard enough to PROVE #1 to a court, 2 and 3 against an individual I think is really difficult. Standard that otherwise the courts would be chock full of everyone suing everyone else for gossip. But again leave it to lawyers for how legally slander is applied to statements to a court.
Regardless, seems obvious that its yet another PR stunt and lawsuit meant not to actually adjucate the merits in a court room, but to simply get $ in any and every way possible other than say diligently coaching basketball teams to earn money.

Miller said it to NCAA investigators though, so I wouldn't call it gossip. If UConn based its decision to not honor his contract in part on Miller's testimony, then there are damages.

If UConn ever gets dinged for this, you can blame it on the AD and President. Given what's going on all around college basketball, and what has been going on for many years, they will have cost themselves a lot more than $8m when all is said and done if UConn is hurt by this.

Reaction Score
Borges’ story: Kevin Ollie is suing former assistant Glen Miller for slander, saying Miller lied to NCAA to avenge his firing

>>According to sources, an NCAA hearing on the infractions that cost Ollie his job and precipitated a battle for the nearly $11 million left on his contract is slated for Thursday. UConn has already self-imposed several penalties, including a scholarship reduction for next season.

“I think it’s a transparent attempt to intimidate a witness right before the NCAA hearing, and we’re going to defend it vigorously,” said Glen Miller’s attorney, Drzislav Coric, of the New London-based Traystman & Coric, LLC. “Unlike the NCAA and UConn, who don’t have subpoena powers, I do have subpoena powers. So, we will be subpoenaing financial information to make the inquiry into what occurred. We expect it will exonerate Glen.”<<

Reaction Score
Miller said it to NCAA investigators though, so I wouldn't call it gossip. If UConn based its decision to not honor his contract in part on Miller's testimony, then there are damages.

If UConn ever gets dinged for this, you can blame it on the AD and President. Given what's going on all around college basketball, and what has been going on for many years, they will have cost themselves a lot more than $8m when all is said and done if UConn is hurt by this.
I didn't say it was gossip, I said it wasn't published by Glenn Miller. One of the three elements of libel is published.

Miller getting Ollie's bank records regardless of whether or not they prove the payment will be highly damaging to Ollie and might the most detrimental instance of the ill-conceived litigious overkill coming to roost and biting Ollie both on the grounds and in public opinion.

Your second statement is yet another in a never-ending line of frivolous arguments to put out the fire by throwing other people's gasoline on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom