Ollie can not be fired. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie can not be fired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or maybe there's no reason to reach one. With respect to the investigation, one of the most important facts we're supposed to know already is that none of the recruits came here. I think that bodes well for the program.

But if he was involved in violations , I absolutely concur
The fact that none of the supposed recruits came here makes it worse. It allows them to scapegoat UConn with impunity.

FWIW, I think there's something. What it is or how severe, I don't know. I base the on AD Dave's long pause and then "I think he tries" when asked if KO follows the rules.

Reaction Score
The basketball program is in a very precarious position and as some of you have alluded to in the other threads, this isn't rock bottom. I just wish that the AD can make a decision either way.

It would be horrible if the AD dragged this on then eventually fires KO. Then the AD leaves and the program would be left without a HC and an AD with NCAA violations looming. We'll end up hiring some retread HC without any future and the new AD will have go back to the same donors asking to fund another buyout in a few years.

Sorry. I'm just a ray of sunshine today.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - KO needs to be fired/ terminated/ relieved or what ever term you want to use right now. Or at least within the next couple of weeks. KO cannot be at the helm of the program another year.

Second - all else is speculation.

My belief (speculation like everybody else) is that the AD already has the money, whatever the amount needed. He already has a short list of potential candidates. He knows a lot about the NCAA investigation and what it entails.

Now I have no connections to the program or any inside information. But there are a couple of keys that lead me to my beliefs. The AD has been very quiet on the subject - lack of support for Ollie. Very few comments from KO. He knows what is going to go down - and its not good for him.

Now we all wait and see.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think he still has some very solid connections and friends in the NBA. I don't know how anyone can think his problems are just around recruiting. He's a horrific game coach. But I do think a lot of his problems stem from not understanding the college game, and not appreciating the way the game has evolved. So I do think he could get an NBA assistant job.

Pure speculation here - I wonder whether or not the off-court rumors have affected his standing with his NBA connections.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pure speculation here - I wonder whether or not the off-court rumors have affected his standing with his NBA connections.

You mean, could they have elevated their view of him? ;) I think his rumored off court activity fits pretty well with the NBA.

Reaction Score
That statement is true. Been there. Done that. But folks on this message board look at the basketball program though a magnifying glass. The administration is a little further back. What they think is unacceptable may not be the same things that the athletic department thinks are unacceptable. Cooler heads. Cutting Ollie loose too soon may makes the situation more uncertain and rudderless. They lose nothing by waiting a while. And may gain some clarity by waiting. When you have clear direction, act swiftly.

"Rudderless" is exactly the term I would use to describe the program under KO.

We stand to lose much more by keeping him than jettisoning him.

Reaction Score
At least, not right now. First, there is the matter of 10 million bucks. That's a lot. But UConn may not have to pay it -if- the NCAA charges Ollie's Huskies with something and gives the university an out. So, UConn has to wait a while and see how the "investigation" plays out. If Ollie is cleared by the investigation, perhaps you give him an extra season. If he is found guilty, he is fired without a ten million dollar penalty.

The key in all of this is the NCAA. Unfortunately, the NCAA will always do what is worst for UConn. So they will probably delay releasing the findings of the investigation until after the beginning of next season. Just leave us freakin' hangin'.

If we ignore all that and just fire Ollie and pay the piper, we have to interview coaches with an outstanding investigation ready to come in and put the program in jail. That would hurt both the coaching search and the eventual hire.

Sticking with Ollie until this all plays out makes the most sense. We have to be clear of this nonsense before we can start rehabilitating the program in earnest. And who knows, maybe Ollie bounces back. Or maybe a very large meteor hits Earth.
If they get an out so they don't have to pay him, that's straight up BullSh** considering all the * other programs have gotten away with...
Fire him based on performance, I get that... BUT don't conjure up some BullSh** chump charges to avoid paying what you owe the man per the contract signed..

We may suck (right now), but you can't tell me this guy hasn't been nothing but professional and full of class about what he's done.

Tough times (in Storrs) don't last forever....

Reaction Score
"Dave Benedict, coffee is for closers."

Reaction Score
First - KO needs to be fired/ terminated/ relieved or what ever term you want to use right now. Or at least within the next couple of weeks. KO cannot be at the helm of the program another year.

That's easy to say when it isn't your 10 million dollars you have to pay to buy KO out. There isn't much down side to waiting as I point out in the OP.

Reaction Score
That's easy to say when it isn't your 10 million dollars you have to pay to buy KO out. There isn't much down side to waiting as I point out in the OP.

I don't how you can say there's no downside. We need to rebuild our brand before we're unable to sell merchandise, tickets, advertising, and overall school brand. The success of our men's basketball team is critical to the schools income and overall success. A few million in a negotiated buyout (most likely donated by a booster as pissed as we are) is nothing in the face of that. Its a marketing cost.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

That's your opinion of which you are entitled. Not mine. One more year of a losing record, no post season, less fans in the seats and further irrelevance in the college basketball world. There is a lot of downside. But keep plugging away at your theory.

Reaction Score
That's your opinion of which you are entitled. Not mine. One more year of a losing record, no post season, less fans in the seats and further irrelevance in the college basketball world. There is a lot of downside. But keep plugging away at your theory.
A big recruit for next season committing right now would be a lifesaver for KO. Is there anybody left?

Reaction Score
I expect we'll hear from AD David Benedict within the next few days on the state of MBB and its future.
Benedict has already made his decision. I'm not sure what it is but the decision has been made.

Reaction Score
At least, not right now. First, there is the matter of 10 million bucks. That's a lot. But UConn may not have to pay it -if- the NCAA charges Ollie's Huskies with something and gives the university an out. So, UConn has to wait a while and see how the "investigation" plays out. If Ollie is cleared by the investigation, perhaps you give him an extra season. If he is found guilty, he is fired without a ten million dollar penalty.

The key in all of this is the NCAA. Unfortunately, the NCAA will always do what is worst for UConn. So they will probably delay releasing the findings of the investigation until after the beginning of next season. Just leave us freakin' hangin'.

If we ignore all that and just fire Ollie and pay the piper, we have to interview coaches with an outstanding investigation ready to come in and put the program in jail. That would hurt both the coaching search and the eventual hire.

Sticking with Ollie until this all plays out makes the most sense. We have to be clear of this nonsense before we can start rehabilitating the program in earnest. And who knows, maybe Ollie bounces back. Or maybe a very large meteor hits Earth.

Obviously the university believes that the NCAA has something because they fired for cause. So as I said, that gave the university an out to fire him.

Reaction Score
Chief, you know very little. The NCAA doesn’t really have anything on UConn. A few minor, secondary violations maybe. Like Ollie paying for a guy to work out the players in the offseason. A few alums/ex NBA guys contacting recruits, Boo Willingham doing dumb, Boo Willingham things, etc. Not much. Some stupidity. But the idiots in Indy have bigger issues to deal with. So the “cause” relief doesn’t appear to be coming to fruition for Benedict.

And...the university does NOT have the money to pay Ollie $10m AND hire a coach that they’d want. So old Davey boy is scrambling to figure out a plan now that Plan A (a negotiated/cause-based buyout) is vanishing. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with in order to avoid having to answer the question, “so tell me again...why did you give him a FULLY guaranteed contract extension in December 2016?”

Stay tuned. The university mortgaging its athletically funded future in the hopes of getting a P5 invite is about to hit a brick wall going 10,000,000 mph.
Plan A did not vanish after all

Reaction Score
Plan A did not vanish after all
Fair enough. Though they’re not out of the woods just yet and I’m not sure that the full extent of “cause” is NCAA stuff. But i give DB credit for pulling the trigger. He really had no choice and now he needs to resolve the future by settling with Ollie AND hiring/be able to afford the right guy. The money to do all of that still doesn’t really exist

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom