Ollie/ Benedict | The Boneyard

Ollie/ Benedict

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why is it time for a public statement?

If someone believes we may lose the fan base I'll gladly point to our attendance this past season as evidence of how loyal and invested our fan base truly is.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What? Why? You aren't being recruited, no one on this board is. The players who are being recruited are obviously asking what is going on and Ollie is explaining that to them. The major donors to the program are asking what is going on and I'm sure AD is explaining it to them. Everyone else has to wait and find out, but we aren't owed a statement. UConn will be a top25 team next year.

Reaction Score
Why is it time for a public statement?

If someone believes we may lose the fan base I'll gladly point to our attendance this past season as evidence of how loyal and invested our fan base truly is.

Wasn't it bad?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Dumb question, but...what are people looking for in this statement? I can't for the life of me see what purpose it would serve. In my mind, it'd be one of two things: either a "ra ra, we're UConn, we're going to rally and reshape this team" spiel meant to assuage the fanbase (which would instantly get picked to shreds by the vultures here), or some really dirty laundry would be aired -- which, if that's the case, do we really want that info public?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Dumb question, but...what are people looking for in this statement? I can't for the life of me see what purpose it would serve. In my mind, it'd be one of two things: either a "ra ra, we're UConn, we're going to rally and reshape this team" spiel meant to assuage the fanbase (which would instantly get picked to shreds by the vultures here), or some really dirty laundry would be aired -- which, if that's the case, do we really want that info public?

What has to happen for you to even acknowledge their is a problem going on here and it starts with Ollie?

The "vultures" have been saying there is a big one and the past few weeks basically reaffirms this fact.

I don't want a public statement; it would be meaningless.

I just don't get your stance of being the guy who has this sense of zen about the situation and is somehow above reproach for not criticizing KO.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
What has to happen for you to even acknowledge their is a problem going on here and it starts with Ollie?

The "vultures" have been saying there is a big one and the past few weeks basically reaffirms this fact.

I don't want a public statement; it would be meaningless.

I just don't get your stance of being the guy who has this sense of zen about the situation and is somehow above reproach for not criticizing KO.

Everyone in your corner is basing their conclusions off of smoke, mirrors, Twitter posts from less-than-reliable characters, and in some cases pure gut feeling. Forgive me if I don't find that compelling. You guys are jaded and upset by a losing season that featured some very poor basketball, and you're jumping to conclusions that confirm your feelings.

If there is a problem, hard evidence will come out eventually, and I'll adjust my views as that happens.

Reaction Score
All I want to hear is that Ollie is getting rid of of the soft underbelly and is only looking for kids with toughness and heart.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Nothing to gain by talking now. If they are on top of this, the signings over the next couple of months will do the talking for them....if they've lost control, we won't hear a thing because words can't fix it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What are they going to say? "The program has run off the rails." We already know this.

Reaction Score
We're changing the wings program next year. Instead of over 88pts, you'll get free wings if we have more than 9 players on the roster.

In addition, free mozzarella sticks if the team commits less than 18 turnovers in a game.

Hartford games during the week will now begin at 10:30pm.

Oh, and we're moving to the mountain west conference and ticket prices are increasing by 25% to supplement our budget deficit...

Who wants season tickets???

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Everyone in your corner is basing their conclusions off of smoke, mirrors, Twitter posts from less-than-reliable characters, and in some cases pure gut feeling. Forgive me if I don't find that compelling. You guys are jaded and upset by a losing season that featured some very poor basketball, and you're jumping to conclusions that confirm your feelings.

If there is a problem, hard evidence will come out eventually, and I'll adjust my views as that happens.

This is where I'm basing my opinion.

-3 straight seasons where we have underpeformed.
-Lack of closing on our top recruit choices.
-Lack of improvement nearly whatsoever in big men.
-No sense of urgency coming out of the gates in most games.
-Failing to have any semblance of a good regular season.
-1 NIT, 1 1st weekend bounce out, 1 No Post Season.
-Waive of transfers (the guys who were recruited and weren't UConn level)
-3 Current Players transferring.
-Losing our top recruit.
-Firing our associate head coach.
-Ollie's buddy firing his mouth of on social media.

I'm not jaded whatsoever. I call it like I see it.

Same thing on the football board where I was the first guy along with Whaler and Serrano to call out Diaco for his garbage and then with those guys in calling Pasqualoni before anyone else either.

I'm not saying the situation with KO is as dire as it is with Diaco or P, but to sit back and act like I'm the one basing this off of a gut feeling and you're not is the opposite of what's going down here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
This is where I'm basing my opinion.

-3 straight seasons where we have underpeformed.
-Lack of closing on our top recruit choices.
-Lack of improvement nearly whatsoever in big men.
-No sense of urgency coming out of the gates in most games.
-Failing to have any semblance of a good regular season.
-1 NIT, 1 1st weekend bounce out, 1 No Post Season.
-Waive of transfers (the guys who were recruited and weren't UConn level)
-3 Current Players transferring.
-Losing our top recruit.
-Firing our associate head coach.
-Ollie's buddy firing his mouth of on social media.

I'm not jaded whatsoever. I call it like I see it.

Same thing on the football board where I was the first guy along with Whaler and Serrano to call out Diaco for his garbage and then with those guys in calling Pasqualoni before anyone else either.

I'm not saying the situation with KO is as dire as it is with Diaco or P, but to sit back and act like I'm the one basing this off of a gut feeling and you're not is the opposite of what's going down here.

Shouldn't someone who's ostensibly upset at the team's performance be happy that players and coaches who played a role in the lack of on-court success are being shown the door? Shouldn't losing a top recruit not be that big of a deal given Ollie's poor job on the recruiting trail and inability to identify talent?

I also don't care one iota about you wagging your finger about your track record of "being right." Part of me thinks you guys actually root for certain coaches and players to fail so you can take a victory lap around the board.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Needs to be one today.

Nope. One is not needed and you won't get one. This is part of the landscape of college bb. What do you expect the AD to say?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Shouldn't someone who's ostensibly upset at the team's performance be happy that players and coaches who played a role in the lack of on-court success are being shown the door? Shouldn't losing a top recruit not be that big of a deal given Ollie's poor job on the recruiting trail and inability to identify talent?

I also don't care one iota about you wagging your finger about your track record of "being right." Part of me thinks you guys actually root for certain coaches and players to fail so you can take a victory lap around the board.

Why do you always resort to such idiotic arguments? Is that all you have?

Losing Jackson, Enoch, Durham hurts. Yes they were a part of a bad team, but bad teams can improve. I'd take my chances with those 3 over juco transfers or worse yet, not even using the scholarship and being short players.

Very cute comment re: MAL. Yes, way better off losing our only significant recruit in lieu of the other 3 (very much) lower and less heralded recruits.

My point on the football board comments is that people have a tendency to have inflated sense of self by "being above the fray" and not calling criticism where it's due and going solely by their gut. Which is actually what you're cavalier takes on here always amount to.

And lastly, yet another stupid comment asking if fans on a UConn message board actively root against the team. Be serious.

Reaction Score
I'm mostly concerned about the APR implications. If the public statement simply says all departing players have completed their spring course loads with the required grades to not lose the retention point, that would be good enough for me.

Reaction Score
What? Why? You aren't being recruited, no one on this board is. The players who are being recruited are obviously asking what is going on and Ollie is explaining that to them. The major donors to the program are asking what is going on and I'm sure AD is explaining it to them. Everyone else has to wait and find out, but we aren't owed a statement. UConn will be a top25 team next year.
Top 25 a bit of a stretch with an all freshman front court

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom