Ollie, Auriemma and Diaco contracts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie, Auriemma and Diaco contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's is pretty common in senior executive agreements to contain clauses that are triggered by changes in organizational leadership, structure or ownership. In fact, aside from being released under favorable conditions and it can often result in a sizable payout.

I suspect Nelson is upset that the departure of the AD and/or President could put the university at risk, perhaps easier than we would like, but I'm not sure that it is a conflict of interest on the part of WM. The reality is that KO was holding all the cards in this negotiation and I can't blame him for securing it. He's making a commitment to the team and wants to make sure his CEO and COO are going to stand alongside him and his players. It is what it is. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

It's also common for those agreements to contain non-competes so you'll have to point out where that exists in this contact.

Reaction Score
It's also common for those agreements to contain non-competes so you'll have to point out where that exists in this contact.

I didn't see the contract, just a blurb written in an online article. Is it WM that approves these contracts in a vacuum? Or is it the BOT? That could be an important bit of information.

Reaction Score
BTW, the article implied that Ollie would not gain any advantage from the departure until 12 months after the fact, presumably to give the university time to bring in someone new and establish a rapport and build confidence with the staff. At some point the institution has to transcend individuals.

Reaction Score
UConn has committed to $6.5 million a year in salary to its top 3 coaches in just the last 15 months. That is a lot of money, particularly for the two basketball coaches.

This is really the only validated positive signal we have about our conference and revenue situation. Warde and Herbst must have some plan for generating more revenue, because otherwise they are stepping on the gas as we are approaching the brick wall.

Get out.

You think they know more than The Boneyard Conference Realignment board?

Reaction Score
It's a conflict because any potential decision to replace Manuel isn't predicated only on Manuel's performance.

It also gives Manuel a lot of leverage in any contact situation where he is being recruited by another school.

It's negotiated by the very person who benefits most: Manuel.

It's a joke and should be illegal for a state employee to give themselves this type of leverage through contacts they negotiate.

Seriously if you think this is acceptable for a state employee, you can't possibly live here.

You make a valid attempt at justifying your position and then in closing make just as dumb of a point as the original arguement. What the hell does living there have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
I'm sure it was WM and SH's idea to add that clause to the contract, not Ollie's agents. :confused:

The same people bashing the clause would be the first ones to fire up torches and hand out pitch forks to demolish WM's house if the deal didn't get signed and they found out the reason was b/c WM would not add that clause to the deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You make a valid attempt at justifying your position and then in closing make just as dumb of a point as the original arguement. What the hell does living there have to do with anything?

Because if you aren't a resident of Connecticut what do you care how corrupt and mismanaged the state government is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure it was WM and SH's idea to add that clause to the contract, not Ollie's agents. :confused:

The same people bashing the clause would be the first ones to fire up torches and hand out pitch forks to demolish WM's house if the deal didn't get signed and they found out the reason was b/c WM would not add that clause to the deal.

What a happy coincidence for Warde! Just like when he gets to spend money with search firms that will someday recommend him for other jobs that he can later use as leverage against the university that paid for the search firms.

Reaction Score
Because if you aren't a resident of Connecticut what do you care how corrupt and mismanaged the state government is.

I live in Florida so what you're drawing attention to wouldn't begin to move the needle on our corruption meter.

Reaction Score
What a happy coincidence for Warde! Just like when he gets to spend money with search firms that will someday recommend him for other jobs that he can later use as leverage against the university that paid for the search firms.

If you have evidence that WM and SH were the authors of this language, then you might have a case. I just don't think it went down that way. In addition, you would likely have to get UConn's legal team and trustees on board with the scheme you are suggesting.

KO could be coaching in the NBA this year if he so desired. He's got juice and momentum today. Who knows what leverage he will have three or four years from now, so he structured the deal to his advantage under a number of scenarios that could come to pass. I would do the same.

I'm just glad the deal got done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Only you can create a Strawman when discussing an iron clad legally binding contract.

You need to stop blaming me every time you can't keep up in a thread. It's not my fault.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that school contracts need to be approved by the AG's office.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you have evidence that WM and SH were the authors of this language, then you might have a case. I just don't think it went down that way. In addition, you would likely have to get UConn's legal team and trustees on board with the scheme you are suggesting.

KO could be coaching in the NBA this year if he so desired. He's got juice and momentum today. Who knows what leverage he will have three or four years from now, so he structured the deal to his advantage under a number of scenarios that could come to pass. I would do the same.

It doesn't matter who is the author of the language, it creates a conflict of interest, which Warde is smart enough to see. Ollie was not going to walk away over this clause, and Warde should not have allowed it to be put in the contract.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Dude it doesn't matter who the author was.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who is the author of the language, it creates a conflict of interest, which Warde is smart enough to see. Ollie was not going to walk away over this clause, and Warde should not have allowed it to be put in the contract.

The state shouldn't allow this type of language to even exist.

Reaction Score

I lived in CT for 30 years, just because I don't now doesn't mean jack, and corruption is not exclusive to CT. You're taking a rather large leap to imply corruption for a coaches out clause. I and others care because it involves the school and athletic department and teams we choose to root for, so yes it does concern us regardless of where we currently live.

Reaction Score
I don't really have any interest in the contract or the ensuing discussion. It's done, and that is all that matters. :cool:

Reaction Score
I don't really have any interest in the contract or the ensuing discussion. It's done, and that is all that matters. :cool:

Precisely, and we get the coach we wanted locked in and yet people, you two know who you are, will still find cause to complain. Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess.

Reaction Score

KO was holding virtually all of the cards. UConn's only leverage was KO's love for UConn and his public commitment to his players.

Reaction Score
I think that the contract, certainly of a certain dollar amount, must be approved by the CT Attorney General. That certainly is true of most all CT leases. Most all building contracts. etc etc

Reaction Score

So which is it;
- Ward was to smart enough to see it
or
- Dumb because he knew KO wasn't gonna walk but agreed to a clause that would allow him to do just that

Attachments

• 3ac48b7cdee4d810fd313514b427b337.jpg
    3ac48b7cdee4d810fd313514b427b337.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 36
Reaction Score

I don't like that clause in the contract, but you make statements like the above that you cannot possibly know the answer to, and it makes the rest of whay you are saying less credible. For all we know Ollie, Herbst, Warde, Diaco, and Geno all entered into a spit brothers contract that none would leave while UConn is outside the P5 looking in. Ollie absolutely could have pursued NBA jobs more vigourously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom