old Tenn. vs UCONN video: "I hate everything about you" | The Boneyard

old Tenn. vs UCONN video: "I hate everything about you"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clear from Pat's perspective that Geno felt that, to beat Tenn, UConn needed to really go to war. Easier to understand why this year Geno is so set on making the current group angrier, tougher, less nice. Geno attributes it to changes in American culture.

Getting his players angry worked for him in the past, and maybe at this stage of his life, it's hard for him to appreciate that another model might work (old dog, no new tricks). But as OldAlum said, he's mellowing and maybe he doesn't quite realize that it's partly he who can't make this team angry, rather than just it being the way athletes are today (which might also be true).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun trip down memory lane - it was a great rivalry.

And no - not CD2, just some crazed Uconn fan.

Reaction Score
I really miss hating on UT. It was fun and the rivalry was fun. Now I feel sad that it ended and for Pat to go out the way she did. I definitely think it helped UConn to become the juggernaut they are today.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And pumpkins, but only so that I can plunge a knife into them.:p

Personally, I always hated pumpkins. Never really attributed to LV's but maybe? :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Clear from Pat's perspective that Geno felt that, to beat Tenn, UConn needed to really go to war. Easier to understand why this year Geno is so set on making the current group angrier, tougher, less nice. Geno attributes it to changes in American culture.

Getting his players angry worked for him in the past, and maybe at this stage of his life, it's hard for him to appreciate that another model might work (old dog, no new tricks). But as OldAlum said, he's mellowing and maybe he doesn't quite realize that it's partly he who can't make this team angry, rather than just it being the way athletes are today (which might also be true).
This has been a pretty standard lament with Geno for years and years - it is an issue he has with female basketball players in general, they aren't aggressive enough, often not selfish enough. And it is partly the social norms that society has supported forever. And if anything the trend is in his favor in that respect.

There was a point when Sveta went down in 2001 and at the next practice, the four healthy starters were on the court and he looked at Tamika, Asjha, and Swin and said, I need a fifth starter and Swin immediately joined the four on the floor. He never chose, they did it for him - Swin by being aggressive and Tamika and Asjha by being passive - she got AA and they didn't.

The current team has a couple of pretty aggressive type personalities in Gabby and especially Kia, but he would like a little more from Lou, Napheesa, Saniya, and Natalie in that regard. A few less grins and a few more 'I am going to rip your heart out' scowls on the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really miss hating on UT. It was fun and the rivalry was fun. Now I feel sad that it ended and for Pat to go out the way she did. I definitely think it helped UConn to become the juggernaut they are today.

I do to. I dont think Tennessee will ever get back to its level but I like the possibility of Baylor giving us a new rival. Their combination of talent, recruiting and coaching edge makes them the logical successor to Tennessee and I really want to play them in the NC game. Especially with Lauren Cox coming on tough. :mad::mad::cool::cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I could listen to Swin and Sue for hours. How could anyone like orange? Does anyone actually buy anything orange? :p:p
I just had a dream about consuming orange after orange (really). They were delicious. Mean anything?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I do prefer the more mellow Geno of today. Still has that edge, but age has done nice things for him.
I don't. I miss that hardass, crass, coat remover. He always acted and sounded as if he'd go to war with his troops. Anytime, anywhere. The game was sure a barn burner though. UConn ranked 6th in the country, the rivalry that made WCBB in full throttle. Third in a row. The best of times.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like others I miss the rivalry. The intensity of the games was really, really special
Yep, and that pure sports dislike. That is fun.

I laughed at the video because Lawson and Catchings are well liked by UConn fans now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I could listen to Swin and Sue for hours. How could anyone like orange? Does anyone actually buy anything orange? :p:p

Creamsicles. Creamesicles are good. Sadly, nothing else. ;)

Reaction Score
image.jpeg

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Swin could have been many things in addition to a great athlete. Fashion model comes to mind. Such beauty and grace.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would give anything to see the 2002 regular season matchup replayed. In this encounter, UConn won by about 15, and Diana had the "punch something orange" moment.

Can *anyone* find this? I've never seen it on TCF's Husky Ganes site.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Swin could have been many things in addition to a great athlete. Fashion model comes to mind. Such beauty and grace.

Why "could have" ? Plenty of time (even with the liberty and announcing gigs) and I bet she will do some modeling.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Why "could have" ? Plenty of time (even with the liberty and announcing gigs) and I bet she will do some modeling.

No slight to her intended, of course. I used the past perfect tense to reflect on a decision she made when (in the past) she first chose to be a collegiate athlete. At that time, she (as a person of several apparent talents) could have made other choices instead (or as well). As you imply, those doors are obviously not closed to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom