OK, you're Coach Muffet McGraw. What's your game plan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OK, you're Coach Muffet McGraw. What's your game plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse gets her first major challenge: to prove she is another Kelly Faris to the satisfaction of the Boneyard cognoscenti.

I must have missed the thread where comparison's were made to Faris. Apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
There are a few things Muffet can exploit. We give up more open 3s than I'd like. Fast guards don't seem to have trouble blowing by our guards. We miss FTs and are lazy rebounders. All correctable, but I will not be shocked if we leave Indiana without a win.
Should be we usually miss FT's, we did make 21 of 22 vs Green Bay but only 69% for the year. The guards blowing by their defenders shouldn't be a big problem if Stewie and Kiah are under the basket.

Reaction Score
Not only drawing charges but dramatizing them by flopping to the floor as if they had been shot.

Or just flopping to the floor as if they had been charged into.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Geno has been working on speed he said. And I think getting ready for Dec. 6 is one of the reasons.

Reaction Score
Not only drawing charges but dramatizing them by flopping to the floor as if they had been shot.
Nurse appears to have this same skill. Maybe it will offset. Baylor does the same thing. 'Member when Stewie yelled at a kid for falling?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
True but perhaps he meant on the defensive end. I don't recall a guard who was a better defender than Faris in UCONN's history. Maybe Ashley Battle?

I always admired Kalana Greene's defense, particularly out on the perimeter. Kelly was better against bigger forwards, in traffic and under the boards, but K-Bear was fearsome outside--on a similar level with KF--and she was no slouch in the paint, either.

Lastly, I think she had the same sense of pride and professionalism (so to speak) on the defensive end that Kelly had. Which is saying a lot.

Reaction Score
As much as I like Faris, Nurse has a much higher ceiling. Iff she ends up being another Faris, that would be a disappointment.
Offensively she is already superior as Faris did not unveil that 3 pt shot until her senior year whereas defensively I would like to see her play more against those tougher opponents. All signs point to her eventually being a better overall player than Faris and that is saying a lot. Watching her develop and play for the next 4 years will be a lot of fun. Just the difference between what she did on the Canada national team and how much more she is doing for UConn is amazing.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Use my guards to drive to the basket and don't stop. I'm more interested in what Geno and the coaching staff going to do to shut down Jewell Loyd.
Go back and watch last year's NC game. They didn't seem to have problems stopping her then, as I recall.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I expect MM to have her guards driving the lane with more abandon than ever, looking for contact etc. It's totally their M.O. anyway, and this year we're more vulnerable than in years past.

I doubt he'll do much zone, but I wouldn't mine seeing Geno run his 1-3-1 against ND to trap and/or harass the ballhandler. Otherwise you place a lot of demands on the help side, and Stokes has been both brilliant and frustrating in that role. I don't want to see Stewie having to patrol the paint too much as the striped shirts are bound to be whistle-happy with ND penetration. Morgan may surprise me, but I think this is a game where we need Stokes to play her best and play a lot in the middle. I think against top opponents with size, Morgan's best place is not the back of the D. Stokes has to do what we know she can do.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
I hope we play well against ND this Sat. This will be a good learning step for our team. As long as we play well and use it as a step in building our identity, I will not be too disappointed if ND wins. It's their home court and we are a young team in terms of replacing our two senior team leaders. Just keep building toward March and I will be happy.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
With tongue in cheek :rolleyes:, I posit the following ND actions/reactions:

1. Foul
2. Be shocked, shocked that the refs think you would foul
3. Flop
4. Deny flops.
5 Repeat steps 1-4 as needed.

Seriously, I just want us to play as hard as we did against GB. I hope to see the same edge and determination. And may we win! But, if not, 'tis a building process towards March (do you hear an echo, bgillon?? :D )

Reaction Score
If you look at the box score for the only close game ND has played this season Michigan St shot more free throws then ND and only significant scoring for the Irish came from Loyd, Turner and Allen. Reiner apparently was limited in mins due to fouls.

Reaction Score
Or just flopping to the floor as if they had been charged into.
So you are saying they should use the LeBron flop? That is a pro move that requires a lot of practice..... do you think they can pull it off?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am shocked, shocked at this thread!! Y'all DO realize, don't you, that we play ND on Saturday, and here you are publicizing all this strategy that she can use against us. What are you thinking? This could be considered treasonable activity; giving aid to the enemy. You orta be ashamed!

Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
As much as I like Faris, Nurse has a much higher ceiling. Iff she ends up being another Faris, that would be a disappointment.

Amen

Reaction Score
So you are saying they should use the LeBron flop? That is a pro move that requires a lot of practice..... do you think they can pull it off?

Yes judging from the number of ghost fouls called against us in the ND games, and most games this year, plus the juniors and seniors have had several years of flop training.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Remember guys, this is a December game, and an early December game at that. Neither team is fully up-to-speed. Neither coach is apt to play their cards like "there's no tomorrow". I don't think either coach is gonna throw ashes on their forehead if their team loses, so long as the team's play doesn't represent a step backwards.

Not so sure I can say the same thing about the fan bases, tho'...:rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Rebound, rebound, rebound.

Stay out of foul trouble.

Turnovers.

To me, those are the biggest keys to the game.

ND is 4th in rebound margin, UConn 17th.

ND is 11th in turnover margin, UConn 44th.

Among all teams in the top 50 in FT percentage, ND is 2nd in total attempts.

Reaction Score
I think Muffet is going to want Kia sent back to Canada after Saturdays game. Notre Dames big people will have their hands full with Kia, penetrating like a former Notre Dame player, but able to finish+1.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A great question for which I don't have an answer. Who was the last freshman to come in at guard and be such a critical piece so early in her career?
Kia reminds me of Shea as a freshman in many ways. She has a similar intensity (without the scowl), a high basketball IQ, and she never, ever misses a layup. Kia has a better three at this point, though.

Although Kia has been very special to watch, she's still a freshman and may have a freshman-type game here and there. Kelly never did and maybe Kia won't either, but it wouldn't be shocking if she does.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Muffet is going to want Kia sent back to Canada after Saturdays game. Notre Dames big people will have their hands full with Kia, penetrating like a former Notre Dame player, but able to finish+1.
I'm hoping our other Kiah has a big enough impact in this game that Muffet wants to ship her back to Iowa! I think we need her to be a impact player in this game. If she just does what she is capable of doing by rebounding, blocking shots, boxing out and getting a few garbage put back baskets that would be huge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32