Official Newton Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Official Newton Thread

Reaction Score
Agree with everything said above. Newton has just been fantastic last 4-5 games. Hard to believe we were debating about who should play PG a month ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s passing, scoring, drawing fouls and defending well. I listened to people say we had no PG and well, that was not a good take. Key to Tristan is that calm demeanor. He doesn’t get rattled, doesn’t panic. It inspires a lot of confidence. Just needed the team to trust him.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything said above. Newton has just been fantastic last 4-5 games. Hard to believe we were debating about who should play PG a month ago.
that debate was justified, but it no longer is. The only time we had trouble with the press tonight was when the ball was NOT in his hands. When he had it, he avoided the trap by changing pace, changing angles, knowing where it was about to come from and didn't pick up his dribble. And his recent willingness to drive and finish/draw fouls is causing defenses to cheat to him in the lane which opens up the outside game. He's changing the way teams have to defend.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The learn is Newton is the PG not AJ.

And AJ embracing the point forward role.
Yes, but it only works with Newton playing well, it was never a coincidence that when tristen was down aj struggled and pressed. There is a whole is greater than sum of parts alchemy there, and THATS what makes us good.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
A month ago? Most if the board was debating two games ago!

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I think a lot of this is Hurley freeing up the players to be players again. We are not the same one trick ponies (feed Sanogo and wait) that we were a month ago...
I’ve been wondering if we’re seeing Hurley deal with having players who are going to go pro, or at least get drafter. It seemed like as the number of scouts who were coming out to watch Adama rose, our throw-to-adama-and-pray offense became more frequent.

I get it, you want to do best by these guys and do everything you can to help their stock rise. Of course, though, this is all speculation.

Gotta let this team just play ball.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
How insanely cool must it feel to be the first player to do something spectacular at a place like UConn? How many absolute ballers have come through and no one’s been able to do what he did this season.

There's still time for him to get another one too.

Reaction Score
He's the key to our season. No one else in the starting lineup can handle the ball and create their own shot. Glad he got his confidence back and understands he can use his size to power his way to the basket in college ball. Been excellent for a couple weeks now.

Reaction Score
He is the key. During January losses he look lost and lackadaisical with passes. Now looks in control and its becoming his team. This is the player I thought we were getting. Nice job Tristen.
Agreed. I was excited when he transferred to UConn because this the player I thought we were getting as well-the player from ECU that scored 25 against UConn in the COVID year

Reaction Score
Everyone knew he could play, as is the case with most of our transfers. The thing I think we all forget is UConn is a major step up from ECU, Va Tech, San Diego and A&M. There is history here and major expectations. Couple that with the grind of a Big East schedule, and it likely creates a lot of pressure. I think being at a school like UConn and the fact that we rose to #2 so quickly in the season might have impacted the team - maybe we got a bit too confident and players got a bit comfortable. maybe it was the first loss to Xavier and they didn’t know how to respond, leading to that tough stretch in January.

Whatever the case, I think every transfer who saw the floor last night contributed and played well - which is what this teams needs every game moving forward.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of this is Hurley freeing up the players to be players again. We are not the same one trick ponies (feed Sanogo and wait) that we were a month ago...
Sanogo is doing more too.

Like initiating plays away from the basket and driving towards the basket, which give him better court vision, rather than just camping in the post and shooting off doubles.

Reaction Score
He’s passing, scoring, drawing fouls and defending well. I listened to people say we had no PG and well, that was not a good take. Key to Tristan is that calm demeanor. He doesn’t get rattled, doesn’t panic. It inspires a lot of confidence. Just needed the team to trust him.

You could live to 100 years old, UConn could have a roster entirely made up of John Stockton's children, and you'd still have geniuses on this website claiming we don't have "a real point guard." This will never, ever change.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I’ve been wondering if we’re seeing Hurley deal with having players who are going to go pro, or at least get drafter. It seemed like as the number of scouts who were coming out to watch Adama rose, our throw-to-adama-and-pray offense became more frequent.

I get it, you want to do best by these guys and do everything you can to help their stock rise. Of course, though, this is all speculation.

Gotta let this team just play ball.
I don’t really feel like this was the cause. I think it had more to do with the rigidness of their offense - they seemed to be robotically going through the plays and sets without reacting to what the defense was giving them. Hurley even said as much. Opponents were just pressuring the ball knowing nobody was going to drive the lane. The first half of the Xavier game we were just setting screens and dribble handoffs around the perimeter - side to side but never north to south. You saw they finally made the adjustment in the second half and it’s carried through last night.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You could live to 100 years old, UConn could have a roster entirely made up of John Stockton's children, and you'd still have geniuses on this website claiming we don't have "a real point guard." This will never, ever change.
Honestly, too many people are just nostalgic for a style of PG play that is somewhat outdated, or at least that doesn't fit with the modern motion offense we're running. "We need a guy who can break down his man...", yeah, that's ISO basketball. That's not what we run. I do not want anybody out there on the ball that long, waiting for a clear out so they can attack one on one. Eliminating the illegal defense rule made that a failed strategy (not the college ever had the rule).

Last night we played some beautiful modern motion offense. People constantly in motion. The ball, constantly in motion, mostly through the air. It generates open shots and lanes to the basket much more effectively than ISO ball ever did.

Reaction Score
Tristen and Adama are startin" to get a good non-verbal vibe goin' on .. Gettin' the ball to Adama in his spots.

He's a Texas laid-back dude but it's starting to look like he's really enjoying himself and his teammates.. All good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Honestly, too many people are just nostalgic for a style of PG play that is somewhat outdated, or at least that doesn't fit with the modern motion offense we're running. "We need a guy who can break down his man...", yeah, that's ISO basketball. That's not what we run. I do not want anybody out there on the ball that long, waiting for a clear out so they can attack one on one. Eliminating the illegal defense rule made that a failed strategy (not the college ever had the rule).

Last night we played some beautiful modern motion offense. People constantly in motion. The ball, constantly in motion, mostly through the air. It generates open shots and lanes to the basket much more effectively than ISO ball ever did.
Meh. The college game at highest levels when everything breaks down on a possession in a high pressure tourney game ( or others ) in crunch time, needs a guy who can at least be a threat to create his own. That will never change.

Reaction Score
IMO.. Newton's improved play recently has been impacted by a few things.. Among them.. Role definition clarity.. Either through his play/performance or his coach's encouragement/confidence.. He's playing more stress free. Jackson is fitting into a less ball-dominant role and allowing Newton to be the primary ballhandler.. Except when he's(Andre) getting a defensive board and immediately advancing the ball up the floor.Andre is playing looser now as a result.

Tristen averaged 37 pts/game in HS..He knows how to score.. He's starting to get to the hoop with more frequency and getting "and ones" because of his strength and skill around the basket. Scorers know how to improvise-which TN does well.Other than Hawk.. I'll take our chances with Tristen at the line in crunch time to make important FTs.. Triple doubles don't come around too often.. Glad he's with us.

Reaction Score
LIke with most players, when he plays under control and with confidence, he is a player any coach would want on his team. He's also unselfish and smart. Refs just have to let him play and not get mugged.

Here, in my house, we're still talking about the assist to Karaban for the dunk. It was impressive.

Also have to give Sanogo a little love on that play. Watching the replay, there was an instinct for him to try to catch that bullet pass. He flinches, but something (BB IQ or instinct) told him to let it go. He probably would have just deflected it out of bounds as hard it was thrown. He had no chance at the clean catch. He let it go and Karaban got an easy 2.

Reaction Score
Newton and Hawk attacking the rim is what we are missing. Even if they miss it frees up an offense board that we seen Sanogo and Jackson grab and put back.

We were shooting lights out from three the first 14 games then we started settling for way too many and Newton got very passive. He needs to be aggressive even if he misses or turns it over. Sanogo starting to pass more out the double team, still too long but he’s passing. Had 3 assists.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom