Official 2014 Commit Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Official 2014 Commit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco's key quote from yesterday.

"This is a developmental program". It's just not economical for us to waste time chasing waterfalls. The bulk of our classes will be the rivers and the lakes that we're used to.

Now that doesn't mean we can't sign scores of 3 and 4 star kids. They have to be developed as well. Diaco hired coaches with strong recruiting histories. I have little doubt that there will be an uptick after a couple of complete cycles.
I know that you want it your way or nothing at all, but it isn't going to be that way. Classes will continue to look pretty much as they always have.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Diaco's key quote from yesterday.

"This is a developmental program". It's just not economical for us to waste time chasing waterfalls. The bulk of our classes will be the rivers and the lakes that we're used to.

Now that doesn't mean we can't sign scores of 3 and 4 star kids. They have to be developed as well. Diaco hired coaches with strong recruiting histories. I have little doubt that there will be an uptick after a couple of complete cycles.

A lot of the things he says about recruiting rankings seems to mirror a lot of what Edsall had to say, but he was more tactful about how he said it... I think our recruiting ranking will get an uptick because Diaco seems to have a better handle on why self promotion and marketing are important.... really all recruiting services are is another avenue to market the program and I suspect Diaco will take full advantage of that.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
At this point, I'm ready for Spring practice to get started... Let's get to the updated Spring roster now...There's nothing left to discuss for 2014.....

formerlurker likes this.

Again.

Reaction Score
This is not about competing with Alabama. But it IS trying to duplicate what UCF did this year. O'Mally is a good coach. Tuberville is a good coach too. I hope Diaco can get the same out of similar recruiting classes as those two. I'll be happy going to games. Look how Weist changed the paradigm of this team in 5 games.

I think that we have a real good staff. Along with the Division 1 nutrition we get Division 1 coaching.

I'll be on record for this. We will be stuck in conference for a bit. We can't live with this fickle fan base and have 25K in the stands. I have been to EVERY Home Game and I do not see it changing. Ohio State ain't coming here ever. We may get an ACC invite, but just maybe. They could stand us, especially with the basketball rivalries.

Reaction Score
Nice write up from J silver.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/diaco-wraps-up-signing-day/#more-10849

• [ ]One thing I got from Diaco is that transcripts and ability to do well in school mean something. The Huskies aren’t going to go after a marginal student even if they could qualify him for school. UConn isn’t going to academically reach for a player. Diaco shut that down even if they think they can get that player through admissions.
“You still have to go to school at UConn, not every student has to launch a missile…but you got to be able to read and write well to compete in the classroom,” Diaco said.

I'm probably about to offer something that will be unpopular, but here goes. Note, however, that I am not advocating the recruitment of the functionally illiterate, emptying prisons or cheating to get players. No soul selling recommended here.

By now, we are probably $200 Million and counting into the FB upgrade. It started successfully, but bad management, "environmental" changes and plain old "sh't happens" have diluted the FB product. Additionally, we are now trying to compete with an annual war chest that is at least $20 Million less than those we consider peer institutions. I'm not all gloom, doom and Armageddon like Nelson. I do think that UCONN, and it's management, needs to understand that UCONN is scarey close athletic marginalization.

Obviously, if the problem is to be fixed, football is, overwhelmingly, the key. Realistically, FB is not going to be fixed if impact players available to peer institutions are not available to UCONN. I don't care if Diaco is a Parcells/Lombardi clone, he's not going to win without players. Like every other competitive FBS program, UCONN is going to have to occasionally take a calculated academic risk to get impact players into school. I realize it's a cliche, but Harvard, Monday through Friday and Alabama (or Iowa OR Wisconsin) on Saturday has never worked.

Reaction Score
I'm probably about to offer something that will be unpopular, but here goes. Note, however, that I am not advocating the recruitment of the functionally illiterate, emptying prisons or cheating to get players. No soul selling recommended here.

By now, we are probably $200 Million and counting into the FB upgrade. It started successfully, but bad management, "environmental" changes and plain old "sh't happens" have diluted the FB product. Additionally, we are now trying to compete with an annual war chest that is at least $20 Million less than those we consider peer institutions. I'm not all gloom, doom and Armageddon like Nelson. I do think that UCONN, and it's management, needs to understand that UCONN is scarey close athletic marginalization.

Obviously, if the problem is to be fixed, football is, overwhelmingly, the key. Realistically, FB is not going to be fixed if impact players available to peer institutions are not available to UCONN. I don't care if Diaco is a Parcells/Lombardi clone, he's not going to win without players. Like every other competitive FBS program, UCONN is going to have to occasionally take a calculated academic risk to get impact players into school. I realize it's a cliche, but Harvard, Monday through Friday and Alabama (or Iowa OR Wisconsin) on Saturday has never worked.

Agree. I pretty much said the same thing.

Reaction Score
I do not think that UCONN is trying to be Harvard in classroom and Alabama on the field . I think with small recruiting class this year and supposed to be another small class next year the program has to be extra careful that they do not lose anyone to academics prior to season start to prep school due to grades as well as during their UCONN career as program just lost couple of guys due to grades, and who knows how many might be on probation. They need to make sure they vet out academics very carefully. I would think that once they bring in normal size recruiting classes they will be in better position to take on more kids with academic concerns as a losing couple of kids in a 25 member class is lot less traumatic to a bigger class, whereas it would be disaster to an already small class.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

What makes you think we have a better chance of attracting a marginal academic risk impact player vs. a no academic risk impact player? How many academic risk players are we talking about at one time, if not many, unless their names are Fairley and Scam Newton don't see it changing UConn's fortunes, if a lot, then that's another discussion. An academic risk impact player can go to a lot of institution other than UConn (UNCheat maybe) where he could spend more of his time preparing for his post school gig - NFL football.

Reaction Score
“@UConnFootball: Our next official next Husky with an NLOI is....Alec Bloom TE 6-6 235 Ligonier, PA Ligonier Valley Sr. High #bleedblue #riseuptogether”

View attachment 4928

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports...550358-74/bloom-ligonier-valley#axzz2t6YMkNFb

>>Before heading to college, Bloom has one more high school game to play in, the Big 33 Classic on June 14 at Hersheypark Stadium. Bloom is one of only two tight ends selected to the Pennsylvania squad.

After that, it's off to Storrs for Bloom, who is listed as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com. He said he is planning to compete for snaps right away, but will redshirt if necessary.

Beitel said he expects Bloom to fight for playing time. “We didn't raise him from a pup at Ligonier Valley to shy away from competition,” he said.<<

Reaction Score
http://triblive.com/sports/hssports...550358-74/bloom-ligonier-valley#axzz2t6YMkNFb

>>Before heading to college, Bloom has one more high school game to play in, the Big 33 Classic on June 14 at Hersheypark Stadium. Bloom is one of only two tight ends selected to the Pennsylvania squad.

After that, it's off to Storrs for Bloom, who is listed as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com. He said he is planning to compete for snaps right away, but will redshirt if necessary.

Beitel said he expects Bloom to fight for playing time. “We didn't raise him from a pup at Ligonier Valley to shy away from competition,” he said.<<

There were a ton of holes on this team, but the play from the tight end position was particularly poor. UCONN has always had pretty solid blocking from the tight end position, but last year was an abomination. We need to find an aggressive blocker at the position. If it is a freshman, so be it.

Reaction Score
There were a ton of holes on this team, but the play from the tight end position was particularly poor. UCONN has always had pretty solid blocking from the tight end position, but last year was an abomination. We need to find an aggressive blocker at the position. If it is a freshman, so be it.

Granted the dropoff from having NFL (& CFL) caliber TE graduates impacted last year, but would rather positively think it wasn't the horses last year but an outgrowth from GDL thinking. Let's not forget, we have some (young) guys coming along from last year that IMO are going to impress given a better direction in that front seven from the outset plus a year of maturity. Like Bloom's positive, competitive attitude.

Reaction Score
Granted the dropoff from having NFL (& CFL) caliber TE graduates impacted last year, but would rather positively think it wasn't the horses last year but an outgrowth from GDL thinking. Let's not forget, we have some (young) guys coming along from last year that IMO are going to impress given a better direction in that front seven from the outset plus a year of maturity. Like Bloom's positive, competitive attitude.

The TE and FB positions were one of the many roster slots where Edsall's last recruiting classes left giant holes in the roster. We went from two fifth year players in Griffin and Delahunt starting in 2011 to 2012 with a walk on as senior and a RS freshmen in McQuillan behind them. FB - We went from Sherman, to no one. Nobody. Deleone was a sh--ty teacher and coach and we should have won more, but those two seasons with Pasqualoni and Deleone, the program just began to start filling up the holes in the roster that had been created out of Edsall's later recruiting classes.

Reaction Score

I watched the line, including tight ends, very closely. When I watched the games again, I focused on these positions. The blocking by the tight ends was horrific. It was not just the struggles when asked to block the man in front of them. They struggled when asked to block in space and when asked to down block. There was an obvious lack of size and strength here. I was hoping at one point they would move a backup lineman to tight end like they did with Dan Ryan a few years back.

I am very concerned about this position.

Reaction Score
I watched the line, including tight ends, very closely. When I watched the games again, I focused on these positions. The blocking by the tight ends was horrific. It was not just the struggles when asked to block the man in front of them. They struggled when asked to block in space and when asked to down block. There was an obvious lack of size and strength here. I was hoping at one point they would move a backup lineman to tight end like they did with Dan Ryan a few years back.

I am very concerned about this position.

I think you'll see big improvement this season, as the position group matures. Go back and look at the rosters and depth charts. We started two really good tight ends for a number of years in Griffin and Delahunt. Behind them - we had nobody - NOBODY - until you get to RSFr McQuillan last year. Edsall, like or not, had built a very strong house of cards in the late 2000s. At the FB position - there was nobody - after Sherman. At the Center position - NOBODY after Petrus - Mateas was a transfer that Pasqualoni brought in. Tackles - we saw depth problem in the past 2 seasons.

if you look at the UCONN record books, and look at the leaders in career starts at UCONN, there are I think 3 or 4 of them at the top that were offensive linemen/TE's from about 2007-2010. We were not doing a good job of filling in the roster behind them through recruiting.

We are just now, 4 years post Edsall, beginning to fill in the depth charts adequately by actually academic class rankings that had fallen apart. While we were winning and going to bowl games in that period - the recruiting was falling apart, and Edsall jumped ship as fast as he could.

While Cerosimo was liked, and is a local guy, it's not a mistake that our former recruiting director for a number of seasons, moved on from his position at UCONN to become a high school football coach.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32